Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with final decision.

So, I'm struggling with my decision on whether the lap band is right for me.

Several months ago I went to the doctor. I had been on a weight loss plan last year and got down to the 260's, but then skin cancer reared its ugly head and somehow it got away from me. So when I was at the doctor after all was finally settled and I was in good health I saw I was at 285. She wanted me to get lap band but I said... no. I opted to try to do it on my own. I joined weight watchers, I joined a gym and I started taking Alli

It's been 3 months... I'm down to 271 and about 5" in my waist and stomach... but I've completely plateued and no change in diet or exercise will get me moving again.

Finally I thought about the doctor's recommendation so I called my insurance and they said they cover it... but now I'm hesitating again.

I worry about a lot of things. I have a phobia of vomiting and I hear vomiting is very common with this procedure... and I've been told I'd probably have to quit the gym because there be certain things I can't do.

I'm also afraid of complications such as it slipping, or causing blood clots... I worry about food restrictions... how hard is it to adhere to such a change in diet and not being able to eat certain foods. how do I know what will be okay without having to get sick to find out?

I don't know... the doctor thinks this is right for me... she says I'll lose weight much faster than I have been... and she knows I'd adhere to the plan considering how hard I've been working at weight watchers and the gym... but I'm still scared to make that appointment.

Advice? Thoughts?

OK I'm going to answer the question upfront and than explain.

You are NOT READY for the band. This is not to say you are not a good candidate and that you cannot benefit from the band. It means, from your line of questions, that you have not done enough research and have a poor understanding of the lapband lifestyle.

I would encourage you to concentrate some one on one attention with some of our oldies who have been successful on their bands for years. Get a real inside perspective of the pros/cons. Ask the q's that concern you the most and than make an informed decision.

To quickly address some of your statements above:

1) vomitting is not common and it's to be avoided at all cost

2) there isn't a single exercise I know that is contraindicated by the band (except when you are recovering immediately after surgery). There are professional body builders, cardio teachers etc here with bands and most bandsters workout combining cardio and circuit training

3) any procedure has risks and complications. The goal is to be educated on them to know how to prevent them. This requires compliance and a can-do attitude. Our stats show a small percentage of these risks, some of which are avoidable

4) We are individuals. Some can eat bread, others can't, some can eat eggs, others cant. There's no definitive list of what ALL bandsters can't eat. It's a trial and error process. However, most bandsters come through this not missing these foods and have lost their appetite for problem foods. As a newbie it is impossible to relate and understand a life without a fav food. We were all there. But for the most part, you can incorporate any food back into your diet once you establish good eating habits.

This is just for starts, but all of your worries are unfounded and this is why I feel strongly that you can benefit from more learning. At the bare minimum, attend any educational seminars your bariatric center may offer. Go through the tests to qualify for your procedure. In this timeframe, research!!!! and when it's time for surgery you can make a definitive decision and not feel you wasted time or should have done all your requirements sooner.

Best of luck

I think you need to do some research because you've apparently gotten some bad info.

-Vomiting isn't common with the band at all. In fact, it's supposed to be avoided at all costs.

-There is no reason you should quit the gym. You can do anything after Lap Band that you did before it. (probably even more as you lose weight and get healthier)

-There is no rule you can't eat certain foods. Personally, I believe in moderation not deprivation. I can and do still eat anything, I just eat smaller portions take the calories into account

I think the difference between the band and another diet is satisfaction. The band works by suppressing your appetite and allowing you to be satisfied on much less food. The band itself doesn't make you lose weight, it just makes it a lot easier to lose weight by controlling your hunger.

As far as the speed of weight loss, the average with the band is 1-2 pounds per week.

Complications are a real risk. The good news is, only 5% of Lap Band patients have complications due to no fault of their own. The rest happen because of their own mistakes. Here's a study that explains it: http://www.futurity.org/weight-stays-off-long-after-lap-band-surgery/

Blood clots are a risk with any surgery. I had absolutely no problem after having Lap Band surgery. 18 months later when I had a tummy tuck/hernia repair I ended up in the ICU with life threatening blood clots. It can happen. Thankfully, there are precautions that most surgeons take so it doesn't happen

My best advice is to do your homework, learn all the facts, and make an informed decision based on what you learn. It is a big, life changing decision.

Best wishes on whatever you decide :)

Thanks. the doctor my other doctor recommended is putting me through 2 one hour seminars about gastric bypass and lap band before making my decision. I go to the first one tomorrow. But the stuff I was reading online made me hesitant. I guess I found bad information.

I think I really need the extra help. Especially with appetite control.

I do a lot of weights... and I read in a few places that weights are not good after lap band. Maybe I miss understood and they were only talking after surgery. They said walking and running are the best exercises. I'll have to go back. I think they must have meant until I was healed from the procedure.

I agree with Hazelsbliss and Mis73, you would really benefit from more research on all WLS techniques, and you came to the right place. It has taken me almost 9 months to make the commitment. I might also add, if you're looking to the band for fast weight loss, it may not be what you're looking for. It's not about speed, it's more about learning to live healthy. Good luck.

Weight training builds muscle, which in turn increases your metabolism and is absolutely fine after recovery from surgery. Cardio is good for fat burning and can be commenced as soon as you're cleared to (for me, it was 3 days). So you can do both without issue. I weight train and I'm 5 years banded.

Lap Band was a tough decision for us all. Research, research, research....I'm so glad I did it. I don't throw up. I know what I can and can't eat. I choose not to eat bread (once in a great while) its just not worth the stuck episode. Good luck with your decision. Ditto to the above comments.

check with your lapband clinic to see if they have support groups, I went to one before getting banded and there were ppl in various stages of being banded that I could ask questions and get personal answers. it helped me alot

I forgot to add that I don't tolerate rice well. I can still eat it but it makes me feel VERY full VERY fast. It's great aversion therapy. I'm Asian so the idea of not eating rice ever again used to fill me with fear. Now I just roll with it because it makes me uncomfy.

I also gave up soda, refined sugar and KFC among other things even though I could probably eat those easy. I don't regret any of those because my end game was being healthy, so life changes were going to be necessary. And I don't feel deprived at all, in fact I believe I eat better quality, better tasting food now than I ever did when I was eating junk.

lol I actually love Japanese and Chinese... but I usually avoid rice dishes only because everyone told me to avoid rice if you're trying to lose weight. Though I admit to eating sushi on occasion which isn't that much rice.

I'm also not much of a bread person.

My diet has consisted of mostly Lean Cuisines and Fresh steamed veggies lately. sometimes slim fast shakes. I think my issue is lying with the constant feeling of being hungry. I've tried every appetite suppressant there is.

The doctor has me going to a 'class' this afternoon. Then I have another one tomorrow... and after that I either call to schedule the procedure, or another consultation so he can answer more concerns.

I was up till 1 am going through web site after web site. It seems like very few people have issues. There was a study where a small percentage had the band removed, but the rest had it adjusted and maintained it for at least 5 years or more. And they were all losing a healthy 1-2 pounds a week. That was another thing that worried me.. would it cause excessive weight loss too quick. I don't want to drop an unhealthy amount of weight... but most people following a diet and exercise program tend to lose in a healthy way.

I also re-read that one page. I did read it wrong. they said to avoid weights until the incision site has healed.

I'm still apprehensive so I'm going to see what the class says at 1.

went to the first class. Doctor who was doing it said before going through the procedure I'd need to keep a food diary for a week of everything I eat... then I'd have to meet a dietician, and while some doctors don't require it, he usually asks for a psychological evaluations. So I started a journal today in anticipation for meeting with a dietician in the next week or so. I have another class to go to as well.

Glad to hear you are taking the steps to learn more and make a decision as to what is best for you :)

Please, continue to ask questions. We are here to support you

Just know that lap band is not a quick fix. It s a process of relearning about food and eating habits. Read as much as you can. The veterans on this board are a great resource.

went to the first class. Doctor who was doing it said before going through the procedure I'd need to keep a food diary for a week of everything I eat... then I'd have to meet a dietician, and while some doctors don't require it, he usually asks for a psychological evaluations. So I started a journal today in anticipation for meeting with a dietician in the next week or so. I have another class to go to as well.

Glad to see this post. Good luck on making the right decision for yourself. I do hope you decide to have the Lapband surgery. It was the best thing I could ever do for myself. Again, good luck on your decision.

Went to the 2nd class... then went to see another doctor at a hospital a few hours away for a 2nd opinion. So far it seems like it may be the right decision for me. it's reversable, you lose weight at a normal, healthy pace rather than losing too much weight at once... I can maintain my basic exercise routine once I'm healed, and since I am high risk for diabetes and because I have back issues and knee issues that can benefit from less weight... this should be a good choice for me.

The 2nd doctor also said that it can help my "bottomless pit" stomach feeling. He said basically the portions you eat will be smaller because smaller amounts will make you feel full... so in the course of the day, if I'm adhering religiously to the diet plan, I'll eat half of what I do now and not feel like I'm starving.

I still have some concerns... but they're typical concerns I had when I had my ankle surgeries. So this is becoming more and more like what would be good for me. My sister-in-law's friend lost 136lbs with the lap-band. I'm just waiting for the packet the doctor sends for me to fill out to get the ball rolling. I will still have to meet with the dietician. They want to see I can make the necessary changes to my diet plan and stick to it.

So We'll see. Its not a done deal yet. I have a few more appointments with the dietician, the doctor who recommended lap-band and the surgeon.