Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, considering surgery

Hi My name is Kimberly and I live in the Chicago, IL area. I am new to this site and still considering what type of surgery might be better for me. I know that I am ready for a change in my life, especially being overweight for most of my life. I am 33yrs old and have a 4yr old son that I want to try to be as healthy as possible for. I have tried multiple diets and different ways of trying to lose weight that have only brought short term success. I am committed for long term and healthier results in losing this weight. I would love feedback or info from any members who have already completed the wls. I am still curious to know why some choose lap band over gastric bypass over the sleeve. I have done my research into all 3, but I am wondering who makes the determination what is best (the doctor, you, or health insurance coverage). Right now they have me scheduled to meet with Dr. Rami Lutki from Mercy Hospital. I am excited and scared all at the same time. Thanks for listening to my story.

Hi Kimberly, Welcome to the site. There are a lot of great people on here with great advice. I'm 47 years old and have been heavy all my life. I was in the 6th grade when my doctor placed me on a diet. I too have been on every diet that you can imagine. I actually tried to get gastric bypass back in the 80's but the insurance company I had back then didn't think I qualified for the surgery. They thought I wasn't heavy enough. It took me many years to think about having weight loss surgery again as I didn't want to get my hopes up again and be denied by my insurance. Finally last year I started looking into WLS again. I did my research and I felt the lapband was for me. It's less invasive and they are not cutting or removing anything. I had my lapband surgery July 2, 2013. It's the best think that I could have done for myself. I have lost 42 pounds so far. I feel fantastic. I recently had my labs done and everything is in normal range. My doctor wants me to lose a few more pounds and then she is going to take me off of my cholesterol meds. My cholesterol is at 130 now. My triglycerides is at 72 when I use to be over 200. For years I had to take arthritis meds for my knees. I no longer need them!! It has to be your decision has to what kind of WLS is right for you. Good luck to you in whatever decision you make.

Welcome!

None of the different weight loss surgeries are better than the other. They all have their pros and cons so it all comes down to personal choice. You have to choose which surgery is best for you.

As for myself, I chose the Lap Band because I couldn't logically justify rerouting my healthy intestines or cutting out 75% of my healthy stomach. It just seemed way too drastic. Plus, I worried about things like future illnesses. If I ever got something like cancer that required stomach surgery I'd be screwed if the majority of it was already gone. For me, starting with the Lap Band was the logical choice. If something went wrong I could get it removed. I could never fix my intestines or get that huge part of my stomach back with the other two surgeries.

Best wishes on whatever you choose is best for you.

Hi Miss73, How has your progress been going? Are you currently in maintenance?

Hi Miss73, How has your progress been going? Are you currently in maintenance?

My progress has been really good. I'm not in maintenance yet. I've lost 227 pounds over the last 19 months but I'd still like to lost at least 30-40 pounds more.

Rhonda thanks so much for your response. I totally understand that its completely up to me on which wls that i choose. Im glad that the band is working so well.

My progress has been really good. I'm not in maintenance yet. I've lost 227 pounds over the last 19 months but I'd still like to lost at least 30-40 pounds more.

thats awesome Mis73, are you drinking some of your Proteins or no?

The choice to have a life altering surgery should be YOURS and YOURS alone, not your surgeon because years down the road if you have any issues they will be on you and on you alone.

I know many people that have had the Bypass and over the years have had numerous complications and their surgeon never had to see them again after the first few years, many are living with life threatening Hypoglycemia and other chronic issues and the surgeon could care less and they are pushed back to their PCP or internist or other medical doctors to deal with their long term issues.

You have to first figure which surgery YOU want and can live with, some people do not want the lap band because it requires fill adjustments and some do not want a foreign object in their body. But again, the Sleeve, Bypass and DS weight loss surgeries have foreign objects too such as staples, which can cause issues too long term, like staple line disruptions which can cause chronic stomach issues.

The band requires maintenance and most people get yearly Upper Gi's to check the position of their bands, some people cannot afford this, but again, with ANY weight loss surgery you will have some type of maintenance like Bypass, Sleeve and DS folks have a different type of maintenance of bi-yearly or yearly labs to check for Vitamin deficiencies, many people think having the Sleeve does not require this, but it DOES, since removing part of the stomach also removes a large chuck of the stomach where critical B nutrients are absorbed, and they are seeing long term Sleeve folks with many Vitamin deficiencies as the Bypass folks now in a recent study I just read.

If I was diabetic, I may have chose the Bypass, but the risk of complications outweighed the benefits for me, and also I don't like the idea of dumping syndrome all my life or long term hypoglycemia that so many Bypassers have.

There are also risks with the Lap band too, there is a very high complication rate, but most are not serious, if you get immediate attention to any problems -- and not let any problems go to far which can cause emergency band removal, but the band may require repeated surgeries and you need to make sure you have good insurance and plan for any unforeseen lap band problems.

Also, If you are thinking about the lap band you need to arm yourself with knowledge of how the band works, how to avoid complications, making sure the lap band is a good fit for your body, you can get all this information from reading the lap band contraindications on the lap band website.

I've had lap band inside my body almost 8 years and I don't regret it, in fact I just had a new band put in last year due to a hiatal hernia and pouch dilation, but my issues were caused by filling the band too tightly about 7 years ago, and also my first surgeon did not repair a hiatal hernia which over the years started causing reflux if I wanted my band tighten optimally.

I decided to get a new band placed rather than revising to the Sleeve or Bypass because I see too many people struggling and gaining weight back after 2-3 years and most Band to Sleeve revisions are not successful because many Banders have tighter restriction than with the Sleeve and I have seen many have not lost any or not much weight at all after they revised to the Sleeve, virgin Sleevers tend to lose more and I was not willing to risk removing my stomach for hard core dieting, for little or no weight loss.

Good luck

thats awesome Mis73, are you drinking some of your Proteins or no?

I still have a Protein drink for Breakfast every morning, but that is because I'm always tight in the mornings plus I never have an appetite in the morning. I've never been a Breakfast person, so for me a Protein shake for breakfast works. Plus, it is a good way to get some extra Protein in, too.

Hi Kimberly, you are in the right place for gathering information. I've learned so much over the last several weeks from reading posts and asking questions. This is a very knowledgeable and compassionate group of people -- so glad I stumbled on this site! I am prebrand, going through the process of meeting with nutritionist, psych eval and then the surgeon as required by the hospital where I am having my lapband installed. I knew this was the right WLS surgery for me because it is least invasive and reversible. I can't wait to begin! Good luck in your process and look forward to hearing how its going for you.

The choice to have a life altering surgery should be YOURS and YOURS alone, not your surgeon because years down the road if you have any issues they will be on you and on you alone.

I know many people that have had the Bypass and over the years have had numerous complications and their surgeon never had to see them again after the first few years, many are living with life threatening Hypoglycemia and other chronic issues and the surgeon could care less and they are pushed back to their PCP or internist or other medical doctors to deal with their long term issues.

You have to first figure which surgery YOU want and can live with, some people do not want the lap band because it requires fill adjustments and some do not want a foreign object in their body. But again, the Sleeve, Bypass and DS weight loss surgeries have foreign objects too such as staples, which can cause issues too long term, like staple line disruptions which can cause chronic stomach issues.

The band requires maintenance and most people get yearly Upper Gi's to check the position of their bands, some people cannot afford this, but again, with ANY weight loss surgery you will have some type of maintenance like Bypass, Sleeve and DS folks have a different type of maintenance of bi-yearly or yearly labs to check for Vitamin deficiencies, many people think having the Sleeve does not require this, but it DOES, since removing part of the stomach also removes a large chuck of the stomach where critical B nutrients are absorbed, and they are seeing long term Sleeve folks with many vitamin deficiencies as the Bypass folks now in a recent study I just read.

If I was diabetic, I may have chose the Bypass, but the risk of complications outweighed the benefits for me, and also I don't like the idea of dumping syndrome all my life or long term hypoglycemia that so many Bypassers have.

There are also risks with the Lap band too, there is a very high complication rate, but most are not serious, if you get immediate attention to any problems -- and not let any problems go to far which can cause emergency band removal, but the band may require repeated surgeries and you need to make sure you have good insurance and plan for any unforeseen lap band problems.

Also, If you are thinking about the lap band you need to arm yourself with knowledge of how the band works, how to avoid complications, making sure the lap band is a good fit for your body, you can get all this information from reading the lap band contraindications on the lap band website.

I've had lap band inside my body almost 8 years and I don't regret it, in fact I just had a new band put in last year due to a hiatal hernia and pouch dilation, but my issues were caused by filling the band too tightly about 7 years ago, and also my first surgeon did not repair a hiatal hernia which over the years started causing reflux if I wanted my band tighten optimally.

I decided to get a new band placed rather than revising to the Sleeve or Bypass because I see too many people struggling and gaining weight back after 2-3 years and most Band to Sleeve revisions are not successful because many Banders have tighter restriction than with the Sleeve and I have seen many have not lost any or not much weight at all after they revised to the Sleeve, virgin Sleevers tend to lose more and I was not willing to risk removing my stomach for hard core dieting, for little or no weight loss.

Good luck

Nana thank you so much for your response. I definately realize that with most surgeries there are going to be pros and cons. I can definately appreciate all your information. Thanks again, I will friend request you as well.

Hi Kimberly, you are in the right place for gathering information. I've learned so much over the last several weeks from reading posts and asking questions. This is a very knowledgeable and compassionate group of people -- so glad I stumbled on this site! I am prebrand, going through the process of meeting with nutritionist, psych eval and then the surgeon as required by the hospital where I am having my lapband installed. I knew this was the right WLS surgery for me because it is least invasive and reversible. I can't wait to begin! Good luck in your process and look forward to hearing how its going for you.

Thanks so much Bandista, definately keep me posted on your progress. And I will do the same.