Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this site and disappointed

To insinuate that we have undertaken this journey in ignorant bliss is an insult to those of us who have suffered with weight problems, and despite the risks, underwent surgery with our eyes wide open.

I do have some compassion for those who had problems. But, not ALL problems are band related. Did the surgeon properly screen his patients? No surgery comes with a guarantee.

Well said!

I am not the " other" person. I am a real live 58 yo

Mom( used to be nurse). I was told about the

Dana,

I'm sorry for all your troubles, but the band was very new when you had it in the 90's. I mean everything is trial and error until they work out the kinks. My daughter is going for gastric sleeve on June 18th. I'm worried to death about it but her doctor no longer does bands. I'm in my 60's and I felt the band was the best for me. Maybe if I was in my 30's I may have a different attitude towards the band but I'm happy with my decision. The reason I went for psychological counseling was eye opener. The psychologist said right away there could be major complications and that I could gain all my weight back as well. So, I first thought oh great, another door for me to fail. I was prepared however to take my chances and I'm glad I did.

I'm sorry for your problems but I think most of us knew what we were getting into. I wish you well no matter what.

Since the band was approved by the FDA in 2001, where did you have your band surgery? 20 years is a long time to have a band...

And if you go to the vertical sleeve discussion group you will a raft of horror stories for surgeries that have gone wrong. Anyone who goes into elective, major surgery, wearing rose colored glasses has not done their due diligence.

I was fully aware that I could die on the table, or shortly afterwards. I was informed of the possible complications... some of which could be no fault of mine, or unexpected complications regardless of my compliance.

At my age carrying this extra weight was not an option. Take a calculated risk today, or face the reality of what would be without surgery. People need to understand the risks, and weight the benefits. Nothing is guaranteed.

I don't think anyone should be hateful. If you have had success with the band then that is awesome :D however complications are real and they happen to real people even if they were compliant. I knew the complications going in and decided to do it any way. I had mine in almost 6 years ago. About 5 months in I had a dilation that slipped my band and I have had horrible pain ever since. I was fully nailed 3 years ago and that is when I began my battle to get the insurance to approve taking it out. They have denied me two times which is a different topic altogether even though the tests proved there was damage. I am finally approved and scheduled to get it out on 06/25 and even though there could be complications I have chosen to revise to the sleeve. Let me say this though: I DO NOT regret getting the band. I know that if I had not intervened and had the band put in that I would be over 400 lbs by now. The band has forced me to change the way I see and feel about food. That alone is priceless. But I believe everyone's story should be heard whether the band was successful for you or you had complications and people should be supportive to people with both success and complications. Good luck to all :D

l just saw the part where I said fully nailed... Lol. Darn auto correct. I meant fully unfilled.

l just saw the part where I said fully nailed... Lol. Darn auto correct. I meant fully unfilled.

Lol I saw that too and was really wondering about the "nailed" part. Don't you just love auto correct? Lol!

WOW, imagine my surprise when I spoke to this person and found out it's NOT this Ms Maui that you all speak of :o

But that's okay being right isn't a Fact it's a curse ;) And to QUOTE Melissa300:

I believe everyone's story should be heard whether the band was successful for you or you had complications and people should be supportive to people with both success and complications. Good luck to all :D

I just read a posters rendition of her experience

With the band and how horrible it was/is for her

And all she got was slammed !! Everyone who is

Conciderimg this type of surgery needs to read

ALL out comes because one of them could happen

To you! When you are told in orientation all possible

Side effects of surgery who are you fooling guys

Everyone hears them and thinks it can't happen

To me.... Well ask your self why are you obese??

Be honest this is life long and not a quick fix. They

Also don't tell you all possible side effects either.

Did they tell you that your band could cause a

Life threatening inflammatory process involving

Your lungs, liver ect??? It happened to me!!

Lungs full of Fluid ect... What about Vagus

Nerve stimulation? Did they mention that? I also

Have that now and have episodes of syncope( feel

Like I am passing out) I am now afraid to go anywhere

So, I AM getting my HORRIBLE band removed

That I have had since 93.... I was not told about

The above side effects... Kuddo's to u guys that

This actually works for, contact me in 20 yrs and

Tell me your experience !! Also for all of you that

Bashed her read your own boards they are full

Of miserable people!!!!

So the band was invented around 1993 and 1 band was placed that year and guess what it wasn't you that got it ..according to google of course :)

Wow incredible the lack of compassion on here. I'm two months 12 days post op and I haven't felt myself once since, but its taboo to share such experiences. The excruciating pain finally went away but the constant other pains haven't but its scary to share. :( What I am certain about though is that regardless of anyone's claimed happiness with any WLS it's not anything to be happy about. It's unnatural and preventable. All these young kids doing this surgery should be considered a crime. All these parents allowing their five year olds having adult size meals should be fined or something. And I'm glad that Maui hasn't let anyone intimidate her into silence. Right now my stomach feels so weird that I gave my husband my surgeons cell number And some pertinent information, in the event something happens to me. I don't understand y all the self righteousness, when we all know that WLS is not ideal for anyone to have, and maybe just maybe the problem is in the delivery, but maybe not.

Wow incredible the lack of compassion on here. I'm two months 12 days post op and I haven't felt myself once since' date=' but its taboo to share such experiences. The excruciating pain finally went away but the constant other pains haven't but its scary to share. :( What I am certain about though is that regardless of anyone's claimed happiness with any WLS it's not anything to be happy about. It's unnatural and preventable. All these young kids doing this surgery should be considered a crime. All these parents allowing their five year olds having adult size meals should be fined or something. And I'm glad that Maui hasn't let anyone intimidate her into silence. Right now my stomach feels so weird that I gave my husband my surgeons cell number And some pertinent information, in the event something happens to me. I don't understand y all the self righteousness, when we all know that WLS is not ideal for anyone to have, and maybe just maybe the problem is in the delivery, but maybe not.[/quote']

:/ I hope your gets better Hun. I'm not even a month out yet but I understand the stomach feeling weird.. But it sounds like your is much more than mine and I'm sorry for that.

Have you spoken to your doctor about the pains? My only real pain is laying on my port side and lots of tenderness--I don't mean to be nosy im just curious and constantly looking for more stuff to look out for.

Good luck and I hope this gets better for you.

I just wanted to clarify some thing. I guess I didn't put in my post that yes it was put on in 93 by Dr Molina. It was a gastric band they all have similar side effects. To the poster who said I though that everyone did this surgery without thought...I never meant to come across like that. But the fact remains they cause numerous medical issues.

The only other thing I have to say is that this board is full of bullies and it is for some reason allowed. This board should be for support God knows you will need it

Honestly this topic can't die a natural death and it should. I have had band complications, and I take exception to people saying band complications are only possible from non compliance. That's not true, complications are possible even if you get a freakin' pedicure. I should know, I broke my foot slipping on Water while getting a pedicure.

What annoys me is this: If you have a complication and it's your fault, own it. If it wasn't your fault, I'm so sorry you're going through it, but it is not the norm and there are many people for whom the band is a godsend. I completely understand bitterness and regret when you experience a complication that impacts the quality of your life, but please don't tell me I'm an idiot because I'd get a band anyway. I have no doubts that anyone would regret something that ended up hurting them, but it's something else to expect everyone to make your regrets theirs too.

I went into this believing that I would experience some complication in the lifetime of my band. I hoped it wouldn't be debilitating. I prayed I'd be the 95% of people who didn't have complications, and I got it done. Because if someone said to me, you have a 95% chance of winning the $5 million lottery if you buy a lottery ticket but a 5% chance of losing half of everything you own, I'd buy the damned ticket coz that sounds like pretty damned good odds to me.

Complications suck. I should know. I come here talking about my complications to get support not to bash people's choices. And if you think you're doing it to 'spare someone else the pain' look at your motivations again. Because this surgery saves more people than it hurts. And that's a fact that cannot be disputed.

Honestly this topic can't die a natural death and it should. I have had band complications' date=' and I take exception to people saying band complications are only possible from non compliance. That's not true, complications are possible even if you get a freakin' pedicure. I should know, I broke my foot slipping on Water while getting a pedicure.

What annoys me is this: If you have a complication and it's your fault, own it. If it wasn't your fault, I'm so sorry you're going through it, but it is not the norm and there are many people for whom the band is a godsend. I completely understand bitterness and regret when you experience a complication that impacts the quality of your life, but please don't tell me I'm an idiot because I'd get a band anyway. I have no doubts that anyone would regret something that ended up hurting them, but it's something else to expect everyone to make your regrets theirs too.

I went into this believing that I would experience some complication in the lifetime of my band. I hoped it wouldn't be debilitating. I prayed I'd be the 95% of people who didn't have complications, and I got it done. Because if someone said to me, you have a 95% chance of winning the 5 million lottery if you buy a lottery ticket but a 5% chance of losing half of everything you own, I'd buy the damned ticket coz that sounds like pretty damned good odds to me.

Complications suck. I should know. I come here talking about my complications to get support not to bash people's choices. And if you think you're doing it to 'spare someone else the pain' look at your motivations again. Because this surgery saves more people than it hurts. And that's a fact that cannot be disputed.[/quote']

Wow Lellow

Another awesome post!

This topic in general annoys me.

1) how can we be sure it's ms Maui? Why is everyone making these assumptions?

2) to the op how do you know these problems your facing are due to the band?

3) everyone MUST REMEMBER that things were different in 1993 the bands were still very new. Now different sizes and placements are being used and done. Risks have decreased a lot since then

Please correct me if I'm wrong

I am also very sorry you are having so many problems with the band. I'm extremely new here, and am 2 months away from getting a band. I appreciate you letting me know the negative side of being banded. I have read a lot about the band and continue to learn at obsessive rate. I was surprised to read the anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin can erode the band. There are many ways the band can be screwed up and if you were banded 20 years ago, I'm really hopeful that there have been some improvements along the way. I do appreciate you standing up for the under dog, but my experience with this forum has not found bashers..... to me it seems everyone relays their own experience in an honest, caring manner. If s omeone received negative feedback, I trust it is in their best interest. Quite Honestly you are the first angry/hostile poster I've come by on this forum. I really hope you feel much better soon, I think your not feeling well is playing a major role in your thought process at the moment. Please follow up and let us know how things go for you. I'm interested in knowing what isvwrong with your band.