Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What of my favorite foods can I still eat?

Hey all,

I was banded Monday and in the last two days have really started to miss real food, the taste and textures etc :( I really was in love with my favorite foods so I am interested to know what I can still incorporate into my meals, and how much portion-wise as the idea if trying to go without a fill sounds better... I hope this doesn't come across as not being committed :( it's just my honesty.

P.S. i am aware I crave unhealthy foods... have never liked green veggies which is hard! I certainly know can't eat how I did before but my taste buds will always remain...

Chinese food - Dumplings, egg drop Soup, lo mein, orange chicken (loooved fried rice but know rice is not allowed)

Japanese food - Chicken/shrimp teriyaki, shrimp tempura, tamago sushi (egg custard), shumai

Cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, french fries, pizza, spaghetti, meatballs, mashed potatoes, meatloaf, noodle pudding, cake, tuna sandwiches, turkey sandwiches

Yeah, I have it bad, though. I'd never go against doctor's orders to eat something bad.

Thanks!

First, congrats on the band! Your list of foods sort of sound like mine. One of my dietitians told me I can have whatever I want just eat smart. So I don't eat many bad things. I do have: mashed potatoes, brown rice (steamed), burgers without rolls but with cheese, Pasta with sauce, pizza (just a small amount-had it for lunch today), tuna is allowed and turkey is great. You are too soon after the surgery to have any foods. Follow your doctor's list not any one elses. Every doctor/dietitian have their rules. For dinner tonight I had grilled chicken on marble rye with cheddar cheese. The slice of bread was cut in half and I sprinkled the cheese on the bread. It was great. I have that maybe every month or two. I have from the kid's menu pasta and meatballs and sometimes don't finish it and bring it home or leave it. Get a Lap Band card from the company that says you have a Lap Band and please allow this person to order smaller portions. I have used it a few times but most restaurants don't say anything. I have Chinese food about once a week, husband is a big fan and I bring home 1/2 the luncheon special.

You will do fine.

Good luck with your new journey and ask any questions and someone will try to give you your answers.

If you were banded Monday, FORGET eating anything other than what was advised by your doctor!!!! You need several weeks for your body to heal properly. Stick to the liquid diet or soft foods, whatever your doctor advised you to do... craving crap food is NOT a good start to living with a band!! Forgive my being so harsh, but if you are craving junk foods, you should step back and consider how eating those foods might damage your band and health.

I am five months out, and on my third fill. I can eat what what I want... BUT, I keep my calories to under 1000 and my Protein intake to at least 80. If I cheat, I have to account for the calories, while balancing the Protein intake. Life with a band takes a lot of will power. It will get easier when you get nearer to your green zone. Fight those urges to cheat....

Congrats on being banded.

Now, there is nothing I can't eat. I choose healthy choices. I do treat myself on occasion, but in moderation.

If you make healthy choices you can work in treats of those foods you listed.

Good luck.

If you were banded Monday, FORGET eating anything other than what was advised by your doctor!!!! You need several weeks for your body to heal properly. Stick to the liquid diet or soft foods, whatever your doctor advised you to do... craving crap food is NOT a good start to living with a band!! Forgive my being so harsh, but if you are craving junk foods, you should step back and consider how eating those foods might damage your band and health.

I am five months out, and on my third fill. I can eat what what I want... BUT, I keep my calories to under 1000 and my Protein intake to at least 80. If I cheat, I have to account for the calories, while balancing the Protein intake. Life with a band takes a lot of will power. It will get easier when you get nearer to your green zone. Fight those urges to cheat....

Oh I said in the first post I would NEVER go against doctor's orders! Just wondering for future.

You're getting waaaaayyyyyy ahead of yourself, and the band for that matter.....you just had surgery....

Right now it's all about the band and you learning everything you need to know about how to live with it.....

As you get fills the band is going to behave differently, and you will have to behave differently also to maintain any lifestyle with it.....of course, you can choose not to let the band domit's thing, then you can do anything you want...to YOUR rules.....

In the beginning I could eat anything....actually gained weight even after my first fill.....but as the band became more functional and I approached the Green Zone, things began to change and I needed to change my behavior and habits to cope with it...in other words it became a new, permanent lifestyle....

I could eat anything if I wanted I suppose, but as my band got tighter I found there were certain foods, textures, that gave me more trouble than others, with a higher risk of getting stuck...so I chose to avoid them altogether....

And when I think about it, all the foods I chose to take out of my life are all foods that are not good for me in the first place.....

And now, today, I eat healthier than the average person, avoiding all that "Garbage" that did nothing but harm to me.....all because of the band.....and what I do eat, my portions are automatically controlled by the band also....I CANNOT overeat, no matter how hard I try, and believe me I have tried.....

and I have not been stuck or slimed in over 18 months now....AND I have reached my maximum weight loss with very low body fat.....

So since the band controls how much I am able to eat, I start by eating the good stuff first - Protein, because I probably will not be able to get to the other stuff....so why blow my portion on the bad stuff first....

In the end...it all come down to you and your band, and how you choose to live with it that will make you successful, or not....not set of rules as with any diet, or comparing what other people can or cannot do.....but your relationship with your band, and learning how to "Listen" to it.....

There are always going to be people who love to tell other people what they should or should not do...but if you fail, where will these people be then???

It's between you and your band....

Fact of life, not just with WLS...if you want to be successful at something, say in business, observe what other successful people do......

well, like my friend texas said, no food is off limits

there are just better choices to be made

First off, congrats! Second of all, there is plenty of variety, but right now, don't think of it, it just makes the post op diet harder. But since you asked a question I'll answer, let's go through each option.

Chinese food - Dumplings can be difficult if soft, try eating the fillings and not the wrapper. Crispy wontons are ok, but then they have been fried which isn't all that healthy. Egg drop Soup is completely fine, just watch the sodium intake, orange chicken is doable but again remember it's fried, a better option is the grilled mandarin chicken. Lo mein and fried rice are completely off the menu but check out bandfriendlyrecipes.com for a fried rice recipe using cauliflower (sounds crazy I know but so good)

Japanese food - Chicken/shrimp teriyaki are perfectly fine but watch the sodium in the teriyaki sauce if that is a concern for you. Shrimp tempura is ok, though again, in moderation because it's fried, tamago sushi (egg custard) should be fine but watch the cholesterol and if it has rice then it's a no go. Shumai is the same Chinese dumplings, no if it's soft, yes if it's crispy (but careful cause it's fried). If you like other sushi, forego the rice and get sashimi, tofu is a good option, and miso soup is on the menu still. Edamame is still edible.

Cheeseburgers - light or nonfat cheese, low cal version of toppings, no bun and eat with a knife and fork. Switch to turkey if at all possible.

Chicken fingers - they are alright, they can still be eaten but remember they are fried. Try grilled chicken strips.

French fries - they are alright, you can eat them but they are unhealthy. Search pinterest for things like baked zucchini fries instead though.

pizza - eat toppings only, or eat minimally topped thin and crispy. This is just wasted food though (I work at pizza hut so I know). I posted a recipe here for a cauliflower Pizza Crust, check it out.

spaghetti - ditch the spa spaghetti and go for spaghetti squash. Find the lightest Tomato sauce you can. I just found a tomato basil Pasta sauce yesterday for 45 calories a serving (half a cup!)

Meatballs - all about what goes in them, extra lean ground beef or Turkey. I am actually going to be making a recipe using ground turkey stuffed with bits of nonfat string cheese.< /p>

Mashed potatoes - it's ok in moderation but it's pure carbs so it's wasted space, I keep mentioning cauliflower, but try a cauliflower mash.

meatloaf - same as meatballs

noodle pudding - you've stumped me as to what this is, but the noodles tell me no.

cake - extreme moderation, like I'm talking, for only your birthday only!

tuna sandwiches/turkey sandwiches - all sandwiches really... take off the bread, put the toppings in the meat and roll it up. Tuna is harder, just make tuna salad and use it as a spread for high Fiber crackers. Use things like mustard (0 cal) and extra light mayo to flavor it.

Any way sorry that was so long. Just remember, this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. It's all about the decisions you make. Good luck, and pm me if you need to. I'm always here to talk. Also my name is fight4light on pinterest and I have a pretty popular lapband board so you should follow that for some great recipes.

First off, congrats! Second of all, there is plenty of variety, but right now, don't think of it, it just makes the post op diet harder. But since you asked a question I'll answer, let's go through each option.

Chinese food - Dumplings can be difficult if soft, try eating the fillings and not the wrapper. Crispy wontons are ok, but then they have been fried which isn't all that healthy. Egg drop Soup is completely fine, just watch the sodium intake, orange chicken is doable but again remember it's fried, a better option is the grilled mandarin chicken. Lo mein and fried rice are completely off the menu but check out bandfriendlyrecipes.com for a fried rice recipe using cauliflower (sounds crazy I know but so good)

Japanese food - Chicken/shrimp teriyaki are perfectly fine but watch the sodium in the teriyaki sauce if that is a concern for you. Shrimp tempura is ok, though again, in moderation because it's fried, tamago sushi (egg custard) should be fine but watch the cholesterol and if it has rice then it's a no go. Shumai is the same Chinese dumplings, no if it's soft, yes if it's crispy (but careful cause it's fried). If you like other sushi, forego the rice and get sashimi, tofu is a good option, and miso soup is on the menu still. Edamame is still edible.

Cheeseburgers - light or nonfat cheese, low cal version of toppings, no bun and eat with a knife and fork. Switch to turkey if at all possible.

Chicken fingers - they are alright, they can still be eaten but remember they are fried. Try grilled chicken strips.

French fries - they are alright, you can eat them but they are unhealthy. Search pinterest for things like baked zucchini fries instead though.

pizza - eat toppings only, or eat minimally topped thin and crispy. This is just wasted food though (I work at pizza hut so I know). I posted a recipe here for a cauliflower Pizza Crust, check it out.

spaghetti - ditch the spa spaghetti and go for spaghetti squash. Find the lightest Tomato sauce you can. I just found a tomato basil Pasta sauce yesterday for 45 calories a serving (half a cup!)

Meatballs - all about what goes in them, extra lean ground beef or Turkey. I am actually going to be making a recipe using ground turkey stuffed with bits of nonfat string cheese.< /p>

Mashed potatoes - it's ok in moderation but it's pure carbs so it's wasted space, I keep mentioning cauliflower, but try a cauliflower mash.

noodle pudding - you've stumped me as to what this is, but the noodles tell me no.

tuna sandwiches/turkey sandwiches - all sandwiches really... take off the bread, put the toppings in the meat and roll it up. Tuna is harder, just make tuna salad and use it as a spread for high Fiber crackers. Use things like mustard (0 cal) and extra light mayo to flavor it.

Any way sorry that was so long. Just remember, this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle. It's all about the decisions you make. Good luck, and pm me if you need to. I'm always here to talk. Also my name is fight4light on pinterest and I have a pretty popular lapband board so you should follow that for some great recipes.

You're great! Thank you for those hints. I do know most of them but then I won't give up pizza or Pasta. When I have Chinese food I have steamed brown rice, shrimp or chicken and veggies. My husband could eat Chinese food 2-3 times a week.

Keep up your wonderful work. Your picture looks great.

Please feel free to join my recipe group on Facebook . It's has great recipes, suggestions and a great group of people including many from here. Everyone is welcome just friend me at Hely lb.

Japanese food - Chicken/shrimp teriyaki are perfectly fine but watch the sodium in the teriyaki sauce if that is a concern for you. Shrimp tempura is ok, though again, in moderation because it's fried, tamago sushi (egg custard) should be fine but watch the cholesterol and if it has rice then it's a no go. Shumai is the same Chinese dumplings, no if it's soft, yes if it's crispy (but careful cause it's fried). If you like other sushi, forego the rice and get sashimi, tofu is a good option, and miso Soup is on the menu still. Edamame is still edible.

I can't find you on pinterest. Do I search for pinners or boards? I would love to see what recipes you've pinned.

fight4light...that post was very informative!!!! ive been banded since oct and am still trying to figure out what i can and cannot eat! thanks!!

Thank you Fight4Light! Ugh... problem is, none of the alternates sound remotely appetizing to me :(

Please feel free to join my recipe group on Facebook . It's has great recipes, suggestions and a great group of people including many from here. Everyone is welcome just friend me at Hely lb.

We know each other already, Hely :) I'm Mark!

http://m.pinterest.com/fight4light/

There is a mobile link to all my boards

Thanks!