Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soft drinks????

I know we are not supposed to have carbonation, but I was wondering if anyone still had soft drinks? If so, do you think it hindered you weight loss? One doctor told me that I could have it if I poured it in a cup and let it sit for a while. One doctor said don't drink it at all. Thanks.

If you miss the flavor, you can get those soda stream flavorings and flavor some Water to satisfy the craving. Sorry, I can't answer on the other question, I quit soft drinks a long time before having surgery, so I don't have a problem missing it.

Some docs are okay with carbonation. Some are not. If you let it go flat then you are not drinking carbonation.

I haven't had a carbonated drink since being banded and I never will again.

When I was in the hospital getting my band, my roommate in the hospital was in there getting a band revision. Her band not only slipped but her stomach prolapsed up through her band- from drinking soda. She also regained 40 pounds.

If my doctor telling me no carbonation wasn't enough then hearing her story was definitely enough to assure I never touch a carbonated drink again.

In my opinion, it's just not worth the risk.

I was told no carbonation so I don't risk it.

I was told "no carbonation", but in my mind I look at it like this, what does a soda offer me in getting healthy? Absolutely nothing. There is not one ingredient that will improve my health. Wait a minute, there is one "water", don't need the chemicals.

My thoughts.

In my journey, that was the thing I was most concerned about. My strong addiction to diet Dr. Pepper 6-8 a day. I almost talked myself out of going ahead with surgery because THAT. I then realized this is something in my life that is in my way of being healthy and living longer to play with my grandbabies and help my son who is blind. I walked away from soda on 2/20/2013 and its still in my house (my son loves them but hes able to have 1 a day) I buy them for him and I see them every time I open the fridge. And you know what? It was a lot easier to walk away than I would ever imagined. When I put it in the perspective above it was a no-brainer. I felt results very quickly.. I look at my lab work before and after and its all over the page, I look in the mirror and don't see that bloated pregnant looking belly anymore. If you couldn't tell I am pretty passionate about this it WAS a biggie to give up for me. Now if I could just learn to not wanting to drink when I eat <omg! this I thought would be easy pffffffttttt its not for me.

Thanks everyone . I have only had one carbonated drink in the last two months. I'm just struggling and thought I would ask.

Thank you so much. After almost a two year process - denied from ins then an appeal, I have finally been approved. I just need to complete bloodwork and then meet with my dr to get a date for the band.

I am a diet coke drinker. It's all I drink. I know I won't be able to and I am glad about that because I know how bad it is for me. I just worry that I won't be able to do it. I know I can have crystal light but I really want to get away from the nutra sweet. I also am a fast eater and don't chew my food like I should. I hope I succeed. I am in Rhode Island. Any others from the New England area? This website has been such a great support system. Thank you all!!

I Stoppped in july after the first visit to the surgeon and it was hard so I drank tea with no sugar but now I cano only have it once in a swhile , however I found these ocean spray packets for my Water bottles and it cures my craving , I also wasn't thinking one day I just had a craving for a slurpee so I got one then it was not good after oh ya I forgot to mention I also took two sips from a straw for the slurpee, let me tell you I didn't need to go to a amusement park cause there was a rollercoaster going on in my body all the ups and downs it felt like someone had shook me up like when you shake a soda I guess that was from the carbonation , not good I learned my lesson that day , so I really don't drink any carbonanated drinks I used to drink at least a 2 liter of soda by my self , nooooo more lol, hope this made you laugh and helped.

Against my dr's advice and my better judgement, I started drinking A LOT of soda about 6 months post op. It's probably not my only bad habit to hinder my weight-loss, but I believe the return of this old habit gave me the stupid "red light" to return to other unhealthy eating habits. Be warned.

As for my capability to drink carbonated beverages, the gas as a result is no fun. Especially in a social setting. Often I did have pain as a result too. The worst is Diet Dr. Pepper, sorry.

I haven't had a carbonated drink since being banded and I never will again.

When I was in the hospital getting my band, my roommate in the hospital was in there getting a band revision. Her band not only slipped but her stomach prolapsed up through her band- from drinking soda. She also regained 40 pounds.

If my doctor telling me no carbonation wasn't enough then hearing her story was definitely enough to assure I never touch a carbonated drink again.

In my opinion, it's just not worth the risk.

agree with miss and maddawg and others, my dr and nutritionist advised me not too for various reasons. I chose to adhere to what they said. it works for me. I miss diet coke heck yeah.....but I love knowing I have lost 113+ pounds so far more....

My husband has recently stopped drinking pops and the other day he said at moments he still had cravings and I told him, with almost everything that there is a study showing its bad for you theres another study showing it can be good for you (alcohol, coffee, etc..) but there are no studies that I know of that says pop is good for you even in moderation. I don't want to put anything bad in my body anymore :wub: . thats why my husband and I dont anymore, but everyone has to do whats best for them. Good luck!

My doctor prescribed Topamax for me to help with my Coke addiction. I took it for 2 weeks, never had a caffeine headache and the medication made the soda taste terrible so I stopped drinking it. It worked great for me. Just a thought.