Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

concerns about having surgery

When I was looking for a group online. I signed up for one and found out later that it was an Australian group, I should have known by the kg instead of lbs, but I am not that familiar with the internet and groups and everything. Anyway, when I was there I was reading a lot of post about dieting and people not losing weight. I didn't think the lap band was about fad dieting. I know we are suppose to eat healthy, but they were talking about no carbs, red zone, and different things like that. These people either were a few months in or were at 90% of there weight loss. I can do fad diets without the band, and I already have problems with my metabolism. I don't want to get the band and still be struggling with diets and not being able to lose weight. I hope I made myself clear. Like I said I'm new to this and nervous, I'm more of a phone person myself, but I need to do this for the support. I don't know anyone at all who has or is having this done. This has made nervous about having the lap band though. I hope someone can help clear this up, so I can understand better.

Stephanie

I think it's about what works best for you. Some do low carb, some do low fat, some only count calories. But to be successful with the Lap Band you will have to completely change your eating habits and lifestyle. Most of us (but not all) do at the very least count calories to make sure we're not going over our daily allowance.

Band or no band, weight loss boils down to basic math. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

Also keep in mind the band isn't meant to physically stop you from eating anything. It will forever be your job to monitor what and how much you eat. What the band does do it is it allows you to be satisfied on less food for longer periods of time- and it does it very well.

Just remember the band is a tool not a magic fix for fat. You will still have to do the work and make the permanent lifestyle changes necessary to be successful with it.

Best wishes.

​I am not great with the measuring of some foods. My Proteins I buy in the correct portions. I wear a Fitbit and that is hooked up with my computer and I record everything i eat and do, walk, clean, shop etc. That way I know where I am. There are other sites that are free where you can record your food, etc. Maybe one of these will help with your new journey. A lot people use fitness pal (I think that is the right name). Ask and people on this site will help with this.

Last night I went with friends to an Amvets Hall that has wonderful pizza, music and dancing. Where I live we have bar pizza. They are very small, thin crust pizzas. I ate 1/2 (old days could eat 2 whole ones) and had a super time. I recorded my pizza and my one dance with the Fitbit and it tells the calories in and out.

Enjoy your weekend.

Missy said: "Band or no band, weight loss boils down to basic math. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight"

So, Stephanie, this is what losing weight boils down to, always. You will read here people who still use Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Atkins slimgenics etc. But the vast majority of us simply eat less because the band allows us to feel satiated/satisfied with less food. The reason we are/were fat is simply because we ate too much. The band does not stop you from eating too much, it allows your mind and body to need less fuel. Oh, the cravings may not all go away, but for many of us they are diminished to the point where the addictions are more manageable if not eliminated.

So, there is no fad diet unless you want to consider eating healthy food a fad? I can still eat what I ate before surgery but I now eat less and I'm happy to eat healthier foods. Me, my stomach and my mind are so stinking happy with the weight we lost, we don't miss the pies, cakes, fried foods, fastfoods of the old me.

It's definitely a life change. If you think you can leave the junk food, crap, fried and processed food behind, you can be successful and not feel deprived.

tmf

I think Missy & TMF summoned it all up nicely.

It does take work, but it is doable. I have always been good losing weight, but terrible keeping it off. The first 3 mths are just like a diet. Most of us have no restriction until we have enough fills, but after that, it is almost impossible to overeat, unless you eat slider foods, chips, Cookies, ice cream and such.

I can truly say, since banding I have not had any cravings, and the longer I've been banded the easier its getting.

It does work, but you have to want success bad enough that you follow the LB rules.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll just take things one day at a time ,and follow the rules as I go. :D