Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate the lapband:(

I'm sorry that you are having this problem with your band. Maybe you should try sticking to liquids like Protein Shakes and Soups. Hopefully that will help you to have the energy you need to keep functioning. Remember to just sip and not gulp and that should help with the burping. Good luck. :)

Yeah, I hate my band too. It never did for me what others said it did for them. I did however find that veges go through my band fairly well. meats and starches can cause me great pain. bread is right out unless I smother it in butter which kind of defeats the purpose.

I did find success by going to the Biggest Loser Resort though. They taught me a lot about nutrition and exercise and I have lost weight since. I wish insurance would have covered it.

Its now what 6 months since I had my lapband and I have lost about 5 kg (11 lbs).

A man went around same time as me and he has lost around 30 kg (66 lbs). Both went to the same doctor.

Its always some trouble with this band. Always too little or too less.

I just had my filling 2-3 weeks ago and its a nightmare. I can eat crackers, chips, chocolate without problems but meat and vegetables? No way thats possible. I burp back up everything. Doesnt matter how small it is it has to go back up. I so miss eating normal food. I feel so hopeless. Last couple of days ive eaten like 5 crackers (not even 500 kcal) and nothing else but still the weight doesnt move....

I have the worst "success" of all the other people in my country that have had the lapband surgery:(...

And at night and morning I feel like some liquid coming up my throat.

This is so depressing and im so embarrased when people ask me how much I have lost and how im doing. I wish no one knew about the surgery.

Im scared to let my doctor know how terrible im doing like im the most loser in the world.

I have to hold myself from crying because I feel miserable.

How can this possibly work for other people?

I have not been banded yet but I have done a lot of research and with the doctors and staff and the crackers, Cookies and chips are bad news. Thats something that will prevent you from losing the weight fast. Those carbs and sugars are bad news. I think you need to get a little unfill and then practice taking small bits using a small fork and chew those tiny bite for 20 times at the least. Eating to late is bad and dont drink wile you are eating. reeducate yourself and you will do better. get those carbs and sweets out of your house because they will hinder your weight lost. I agree with what everyone saying here. go get unfill some go back to your pre op diet twice a day and I am sure that will help. Keep us posted

I saw one person on here who takes bites the size of a grain of rice. Try smaller bites.

I understand how you feel. I've had my band for 3 years and lost about 40lbs within the first 6 months and then plateaued. Got pregnant 1 1/2 years ago gained it all back. I'm still have about 9lbs to go to get back to prebaby. Then another 80 still to goal weight. I constantly have alone issues. I have HORRIBLE allergies and my dr said that's part of why my mucus buildup is so bad. I try mucinex and it works sometimes but on the worst days I can keep down fluids. Do u have allergies? I never even considered that being my problem. I still hate my band though and often find myself wishing I never got it. But I keep it because without it I could easily be over 300lbs by now. Good luck

Get yourself a vitamix. You can put veges in there and make smoothies. You can also make foods that are good for you like hot Soup made from whatever you choose to toss in.

I got banded as one of a class of three.

The one who has thus far been the most successful became a vegan afterwards. She is pretty much at goal weight now and it's been three years.

My band helped me keep the weight off when I was clueless about the importance of the hormone leptin and learned about nutrition, metabolism and how to keep the weight off. After going to the Biggest Loser Resort I've learned a lot and have lost anther 10 pounds at least since I returned home at the beginning of February.

The third person did not follow up with any fills, did not do anything to change his lifestyle, and is as heavy today as the day he got his band.

I guess my point is this. 2 of the 3 of us have made lifestyle changes. The band was part of that earlier but to be honest, not as important now. If you don't make lifestyle changes you won't succeed.

Hey again people. Thanks all for the answers.

But yes i do control the chocolates and stuff and do not eat much of it.

I am kind of sure that I am in the red zone now and the band is too tight but i swear I am so hungry non stop. I have eaten couple of yogurts today and eggs and its only 4-5 hours since i woke up. The yogurts here are full of sugar and I dont feel well drinking milk products but its easier to eat yogurt than everything else. eggs are mostly fine. But veggies, meat (especially chicken:( ), bread (fine with not being able to eat that) and stuff like that is a no go for me.

And i hate being constantly hungry. My stomach is growling non stop 24/7 with the loudest noise I have ever heard in my life. Its like having some "music" on in the radio, yes its that loud... and its quite uncomfortable.

I was never like this before the band even if i didnt eat for a long time but now my stomach is growling when I eat, after i eat, before i eat and at night. Its non stop. I dont understand how i can be hungry all the time even if I eat?

I read alot about the band and side effects and the book about this but stomach growling, being constantly hungry and noise in the throat was never mentioned anywhere. I thought this was suppose to make me help be less hungry but it does exactly the opposite. I have never been so hungry in my life. Before i ate because i was bored and depressed but now I eat because im constantly hungry.

There is also this man that i mentioned he has lost like 30 kilos already and he got banded a little before me (I got it in beginning of oct 2012) and he hasnt had one fill since the surgery. The filling from the surgery was enough for him. Its so unfair how some people have constant troubles while for others its the easiest and best thing in the world. He has no problems with his. Everything glides through and hes full after small meals and doesnt want more.

I also hear from alot of people that dont know about the band asking me if i am sick or why im so pale and stuff like that.

Stop eating unhealthy food is not a problem for me. I would love to stop it because i hate how horrible i feel after but stop eating veggies and meat is a problem. I thought if i got the band i would eat smaller doses since that was my problem. I ate like 2-3 plates before but i thought that with the band i would eat a small meal on a small plate and that would be enough but it isnt.

Stomach growling does not mean your hungry it just means fluids and gasses are shifting in your digestive tract.

I'm purely hypothesizing here but if your stomach is as loud as you say I suspect you are taking in too much air with your food and the viscosity (thickness) of your liquids may also be an issue.

I would also suggest asking about a small unfill and going back to your post op diet and giving your entire digestive tract a chance to reset. Focus on only eating and drinking things with Protein until you get at least 60g in. I would also encourage you to drink more Water but drink it in sips never use a straw and never drink anything a half hour before or after eating anything solid.

If you aren't already doing so; start using cocktail or "baby" utensils and set them down between each bite to slow your eating and give your stomachs more time to digest each smaller bite.

I dont drink with straw and i drink mostly Water.

and i know the stomach growling doesnt mean hunger because I have it all the time but i am hungry. i know how hunger pain works and i have them very often almost non stop. Eating doesnt let this hunger pain go away.

I've read this entire thread, and the bottom line is, you're likely too tight and you need to get back into your surgeon. Until you start eating healthy veggies and Protein you're not going to lose weight. There was actually a great article on this even called "Tighter Isn't Always Better" http://www.lapbandtalk.com/page/index.html/_/support/post-op-support/tighter-isnt-always-better-r118

Get an appointment with both your surgeon and nutritionist. If you continue as you are you're not going to lose weight and are going to make yourself ill.

I dont drink with straw and i drink mostly Water.

and i know the stomach growling doesnt mean hunger because I have it all the time but i am hungry. i know how hunger pain works and i have them very often almost non stop. Eating doesnt let this hunger pain go away.

If eating never helps it go away then Occam's razor would dictate it probably isn't hunger; it just feels like hunger pain.

You didn't mention the other eating strategies. Have you already tried them or do you find the idea of using them repellant?

Does anyone have this then? Even if its not hunger but feels like it constantly. Does no one have this side effect?

What eating strategies? You mean go on liquids?

Thats fine. I will probably do that and have been mostly on liquids/yogurts. But changing normal food in a mixer is a no go for me. I also am not a fan of Protein drinks. I dont really like milk products. I just make myself suffer through the yogurt because its not as bad as everything else trying to get through the band.

I will go get an unfill as soon as i can afford it.

Does anyone have this then? Even if its not hunger but feels like it constantly. Does no one have this side effect?

What eating strategies? You mean go on liquids?

Thats fine. I will probably do that and have been mostly on liquids/yogurts. But changing normal food in a mixer is a no go for me. I also am not a fan of Protein drinks. I dont really like milk products. I just make myself suffer through the yogurt because its not as bad as everything else trying to get through the band.

I will go get an unfill as soon as i can afford it.

The hard part about the symptom your describing is that hunger is a personal feeling interpreted by our brain using a lot of internal stimuli. It isn't like hot r cold or sweet or salty where we can point to a single receptor and neural pathway. We can map the sense of feeling full to a limited degree but hunger is more of a mystery which is why head hunger is such a complex issue. Feeling hunger that can't be satisfied by food may not be unique to you but it definitely seems uncommon. It could be a unique complication or it could be a psychological issue and your brain is trying to send your conscious self a message.

In my opinion the important thing is to see a physician if you feel your quality of life is being impacted. Try to collect as much objective information as possible and stick to a routine so that you can slowly narrow down possible causes.

I was referring to the strategies for eating more slowly. Smaller utensils and timed pauses between bites for instance. Also do you track your food intake? It doesn't sound as if your getting anywhere near enough protien. How well do you tolerate eggs?

I've read all of this and agree I think you are too tight. Maybe the doctor would allow you to pay in instalment if you explained the situation.

I know you say you have liquids but after PB'ing a lot you should be on complete liquids only for at least 24hrs. Is this something you do as if not you may also have a very irritated and swollen stoma.

I'm not a fan of Protein drinks either but I know some days I NEED to just suck it up and drink it.

You can mix with Water. Rather than milk. I personally now use Almond milk and I NEVER mix it with the amount they say. I'd rather halve the amount of less. It's not great but means its gone a lot quicker.

Don't compare yourself to others we are all different.

Accept that maybe you won't eat meat or breads again. I don't as that makes me get a stuck episode no matter how slow or tiny a bite I take - then bam have to be on liquids again for 24 hrs or I'll pb everything!

Stomach noises - hey mine plays a symphony whether hungry full or whatever! I get weird feeling like being hungry but I know I'm not and I'm learning to live with that. My true hunger gives me that tummy flip feeling so I'm learning what my tummy is saying

Mint tea is good for the gurgles too.

I was banded in September 2012 down about 54lb inc post op. there are people banded same time as me on a lot less and a lot more but I'm going my pace and having to accept that. It no easy journey at all and certainly not an easy way out but I wouldn't change it. I eat healthy now and I'm sure that with. Little unfill you'll soon get there. We d only ever know ' hey let's shovel that food in' now we need to start over and learn to listen to our body.

I'm not preaching by far and I still love a bag of crips (I'm British) and chocolate or a Chinese but all of a sudden it clicks that you must get your Protein in first and I never thought I'd say it I DO! But even now as I know it fills me up I may just eat that roast potato first as I really fancy it. After all were only human lol

Ring your doc. Explain your finances and whats happening and see if he suggests some plan

Good luck I'm sure in a few months you'll be posting on here a very happy person x

Here is my humble opinion:

Start over!

Go back to liquids for a few days. Protein shakes and smoothies.

Then go to some soft nutritious foods. There are plenty if healthier foods that should go down easier even if you're too tight. Think Greek yogurt' date=' refried Beans. You need to ditch the chips and chocolate they won't help you lose even if its small amounts.

Then slowly try to introduce more regular foods. You really do need to make getting an infill a priority so you don't do any damage.

This is what I would do...Good Luck![/quote']