Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CVS Requiring Workers To Disclose Weight

Okay, I'm entirely with Missy on this. This is discrimination, plain and simple, and the fact that people who have battled the very disease being discriminated against are defending the discrimination is proof of how institutionalized our cultural disgust with fat people has become. The obese are stigmatized daily in the media, but we have been so conditioned to accept it that even those of us who are obese often join in the stigmatization. Any company who offers health insurance can set a baseline then discount for people who participate in special programs, but to set a baseline and then penalize people for withholding personal information is wrong IMO.

Look, I've heard all the information about "fat people cost more" and it just pisses me off. I was very fat before I had my lap band, and I still am fat. Before surgery, my BMI was in the 42-43 range. "Morbid" obesity. At the moment I'm still "severely" obese. And you know what? My blood glucose was and is around 92, my blood pressure was and is 117/66, and the only times I went to the doctor were for my yearly Pap smear and when I had an acute illness, like a UTI. Let me tell you, skinny people can get UTIs, too. Skinny people can also get cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis, and any host of chronic diseases that also afflict the obese. Yes, many obese people have expensive illnesses. So do many thin people. If you're going to charge by health care costs, do it based on individual health history, not height and weight and BMI statistics that were adopted at a meeting attended by doctors paid by drug companies developing diet pills.

Off my soap box and back to my band. Yes, I want to be one of the skinny people, but I want it in addition to my already good health, not to give me the good health I already have and I don't want to be charged more for the insurance I buy because all the charts say I "should be" unhealthy.

It is discrimination and fat on fat discrimination is very prevalent.

They are great deal of miss use of dollars in this country but if you say anything you are immediately labeled a "XYZ"!

As long as people believe it's okay to do so it will go on.

I can't speak for the rest of you but I certainly do not have a disease. I am fat because I take in more calories than I burn and I did it for many years. That is not a disease, but a choice I made. I have now chosen to do things differently and I have lost weight. Getting a lap band did not cure my "disease" but it did fix my mindset. To hide behind labels is to not take responsibility for our behavior. I don't know about other countries but it is prevalent in America to never take responsibility for our behavior. Everybody is a victim and wants something or someone to blame things on. That is the cowards way out and I won't take it myself. I made myself fat, no excuses. Your mileage may vary......

Disease is a term that means more than infection. There are behavioral diseases (in addition to obesity) like depression, eating disorders, all sorts of things. Yes, I became obese because of taking in more calories than I burned. I was and am responsible for my own choices, but more and more research points out that obesity IS a chronic disease with many factors involved, including endocrine and neurological responses.

I'm not copping out. What I am saying is this: I have a brother who has a completely "normal" BMI. He also has celiac disease, chronic depression, and narcolepsy. His health care costs far exceed mine, yet because I am obese and "should" cost the system more, insurance companies say I should have to pay more for my insurance. I don't think that's fair. I think it's discriminatory. But yes, YMMV.

Ok then, despite losing almost 200 pounds I still have a BMI in the 30's thus obese. Yet my blood pressure, blood work, resting heart rate, and overall is health is great. My kids' dad has a normal BMI and is thin- but he has very high blood pressure and high cholesterol. His blood sugar has been on the high side too.

I'm fat but in great health while my kids' skinny dad is very unhealthy. So how is it fair to label me as a high insurance cost risk when it's the skinny dude who needs the meds and treatment?

This is particularly stupid given that there is no evidence that these kinds of screenings/ "annual physicals" do anything to improve people's health or reduce costs in the long run. It seems like it should, but it doesn't.

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1556801

The USPSTF doesn't recommend most of those screening tests for the majority of people.

My hub works for a Fortune 500 company and the insurance incentive works just like Catfish.

After volunteering for the health assessment, the insurance co. offers ways to improve your health.

They also added WLS, b/c they realized they could save money in the long run. I thank them for that.lol btw, they just saved on no longer having to pay for my b/p medicine.

So I do agree with sojo, is all about money.

We are required to either get our Rx's by mail or go to CVS.

I hate CVS, not b/c of their policy, but b/c the one by my house is employed by morons.lol Going to have to drive a little farther, to the next CVS.

I hate CVS, not b/c of their policy, but b/c the one by my house is employed by morons.

I think those same people work part time at Super D where I go. :lol:

While I get your point Missy, it's not legally discrimination if its applied to every employee evenly. There is a benefit in encouraging employees to get an annual health assessment and rewarding those who do. I take issue, however, with the payroll deduction for noncompliance. It would be much more of an incentive if it was a reduction in premiums.

My son-in-law works for Boeing and they've had to fill out a health assessment for the last 5 years for every family member. They get a $100+ discount on their health insurance every month for their family of 6 if they complete the assessment.

I agree that obesity discrimination is prevalent, we face it every day. I just don't see this as such.

I'm not fond of CVS either.

"Disease is a term that means more than infection. There are behavioral diseases (in addition to obesity) like depression, eating disorders, all sorts of things."

Clarification: Mental illnesses such as all mood disorders are not classified as "diseases", as per the DSM IV-TR. They are commonly classified as "disorders", and do not have the same progressions and symptom etiology as a medical model of disease would require.

This is really about big business and dictation of policy. Every one has choices.

Those in this thread who are sharing their anger about "fat" discrimination obviously have an "ax to grind" with this issue.

Just be thankful that you are engaged in a positive process of change to become healthier and modify your lifestyle.

There are many people who are "damaged" by the slights they encounter in life...if you have experienced "fat" discrimination, don't allow that negative experience define you as an individual. Holding on to your anger only takes away from your energy which is better used when channeled in a positive direction.

It's a choice you make for yourself...