Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will stay around and i want and need your advice, i do want to ask all of you a simple question, i have read some pretty scary things, dawn...you are telling me you can eat the same amount of food you could before surgery or just that you dont have trouble swallowing, i guess maybe i am in outer space here as i thought that with your lap band you couldnt eat things like pizza and ice cream without getting ill or chances of choking, foods backing up into your esophagus, etc....if i can eat pizza 3 days post surgery then why am i having it all together, i know these are individual results but i really thought this was a game changer, not a daily challenge to eat right, i guess i didnt get the same memo as you all did, i am off to a good start losing but i need some encouragement or maybe the doctor didnt want me to see this site until after i got my surgery, he has some explaining to do....thanks ladies and gents!

I am glad you are asking so you know better what to expect and aren't shell shocked later...

First, I will preface this with everyone being different. Some people are able to eat anything, others have difficulty eating certain foods. It also depends on how tight each person's band is.

Also, this is based on my experience and others I have talked to.. I am not a medical professional. ;)

After surgery, they will give you instructions that you should drink xx ounces of liquids. Many people get frustrated or worried as they cannot get all of it in immediately after surgery. The key is making sure you are sipping often throughout the day. Your tummy will be inflamed and you will not be able to gulp large quantities of liquids. Make sure you are staying hydrated and you will be able to increase the volume gradually each day.

Second, once the swelling subsides, your hunger may come back w/ a vengeance. This is normal and we refer to it as "bandster hell". Stay strong and stick to the plan. It will get better. Some doctors do a slight fill at the time of surgery, others do not. Once the swelling subsides, you may not even feel like you have been banded as you may be able to eat as you did before. It may take several fills to get you to that sweet spot, which is different for everyone. My dr. did the first fill 6 weeks out and then waited 4 weeks for each one after that. It took me a few fills to "get there". In the meanwhile, I stuck to the plan and was able to lose consistently. After I was "detoxed" from the pre and post-op diet, I didn't miss the junk food at all and don't crave it. chips, Cookies, and ice cream break down and pretty much dissolve in your mouth so they go down very easy for most of us. YOU will have to stay strong as to not go there and not have it accessible to you. The band will not stop those for most of us. What it will stop is your desire to eat a big mac, or a overeating. For me, and several bandsters, bread gets stuck very easily. So my days of eating a big sandwich are over. Bread is a fattening weakness for me, so I don't even crave it anymore as it doesn't feel good going down. Occasionally, I can have a piece of heavy/hearty bread (multigrain, high fiber) as the doughy breads don't like me or my band. I also have difficulty eating scrambled eggs or boiled eggs (if eating alone). Instead, I eat eggs over easy or in tuna salad, etc. Since I have to eat much slower w/ the band (small bites, pause, than another small bite, etc) over the course of about 20 min. I get full so I can't eat a big meal if I wanted to. As for pizza, one piece for me is about all I can do and it isn't often. It also has to be thin crust. It is very filling, and a very heavy food. A couple months after surgery, I was craving pizza but didn't want to eat unhealthy food. I bought little 7" premade thin pizza crusts at my local Meijer, put sauce, lowfat cheese and lots of veggies... It was yummy and low cal/fat and satisfied my craving. As you go through this journey, you will find healthier ways to enjoy the unhealthy foods you used to like.

So, the band IS a great tool; however, you have to still make the choice to eat well and avoid the slider foods. It will aid you to not overeat and to keep you satiated for 4-5 hours between meals. I just wanted to help you understand that it won't be fully effective right out of the gate and that you will have to do a lot of the work too.

If you have any questions or want to elaborate on anything, feel free to PM me or ask here too. ;) I am not a 'perfect' bander but have 8 months experience. ;)

Sorry for the novel.

With the wide variety of pre-op and post-op diets and food progressions required, you should still follow your doctor's orders. The most important part of the preop low carb diet is avoiding carbohydrates. The chicken cheat was fine, the potato, not ok. Low carb reduces glycogen on the surface of the liver, making it easier to hold up and out of the way (it's over your stomach) so the surgeon can access the stomach. Glycogen is slippery and as the name implies is derived from carbs (glycemic). If the liver slips out of the instrument, the surgery CANNOT be done laparoscopically.

Many of the same people we see posting about cheating on the preop diet, end up posting that they cheated on the postop diet...there is a connection. Many "test" their bands, eat slider foods, graze and wonder why they're not losing. It's very important to understand that WLS requires a permanent lifestyle change. To succeed you must adopt these changes willingly, accept that you should never eat the way you did as an obese person and commit to these changes permanently. There's a saying, "If you want to look like a thin person, you need to eat like a thin person." The band supports that by keeping hunger pangs away between meals. You control how much you eat...

As a successful banded person who is most likely losing my band very soon, due to an autoimmune disorder, I can tell you, it works, but only if you use it properly. Like any other tool, if you leave out one component, it will not help you...imagine an electric saw you don't plug in...not much good. You are the power source for your tool.

My instructions: 2 Protein Shakes, two Protein Bars and one small meal that's 300-500 calories and at least 15 grams of Protein. Total calories of 1120 a day. I do think people are sometimes harsh, if they had no problems with food they wouldn't have gotten the band either. Half a chicken breast is a far cry from 3 pizzas...so I appreciate that someone stood up for me. Ill probably stick to reading posts for educational purposes since being human gets attitude. :)

Many of u gave great information and it's much appreciated..thank u for your input.

My preop started today ugh.. My dr only has me on 3 to 4 shakes a day. Wow I'm hungry but I know I can do it. If i can follow the strict rules now then later I can too:)

My preop started today ugh.. My dr only has me on 3 to 4 shakes a day. Wow I'm hungry but I know I can do it. If i can follow the strict rules now then later I can too:)

Now that is the correct attitude!

With the wide variety of pre-op and post-op diets and food progressions required, you should still follow your doctor's orders. The most important part of the preop low carb diet is avoiding carbohydrates. The chicken cheat was fine, the potato, not ok. Low carb reduces glycogen on the surface of the liver, making it easier to hold up and out of the way (it's over your stomach) so the surgeon can access the stomach. Glycogen is slippery and as the name implies is derived from carbs (glycemic). If the liver slips out of the instrument, the surgery CANNOT be done laparoscopically.

Many of the same people we see posting about cheating on the preop diet, end up posting that they cheated on the postop diet...there is a connection. Many "test" their bands, eat slider foods, graze and wonder why they're not losing. It's very important to understand that WLS requires a permanent lifestyle change. To succeed you must adopt these changes willingly, accept that you should never eat the way you did as an obese person and commit to these changes permanently. There's a saying, "If you want to look like a thin person, you need to eat like a thin person." The band supports that by keeping hunger pangs away between meals. You control how much you eat...

As a successful banded person who is most likely losing my band very soon, due to an autoimmune disorder, I can tell you, it works, but only if you use it properly. Like any other tool, if you leave out one component, it will not help you...imagine an electric saw you don't plug in...not much good. You are the power source for your tool.

Now this is the MsMaui that I know and respect. Excellent advice.

My instructions: 2 Protein shakes, two Protein Bars and one small meal that's 300-500 calories and at least 15 grams of Protein. Total calories of 1120 a day. I do think people are sometimes harsh, if they had no problems with food they wouldn't have gotten the band either. Half a chicken breast is a far cry from 3 pizzas...so I appreciate that someone stood up for me. Ill probably stick to reading posts for educational purposes since being human gets attitude. :)

I don't think it's "attitude", you used the word cheat in your title and on any WLS site that word will draw a lot of looks, opinions and replies. Those of us who have "been there, done that", seen the problems that come with testing the limits, and struggled with head hunger, cravings and all the other things that got us here, want to save you from making those mistakes and suffering the consequences. I think you'll do fine, but potatoes are something to be avoided during this time. Best of luck to you in your journey!

I know that it is tough. The cravings are there. However, there is a difference in having a craving and the will power not to cave in and cheat. I was put on pre-op well over a month ago because had things went according to plan, I would have already had surgery. Instead, it was stretched out to the point my surgery is in April. This entire time, I have had major cravings. There were moments of weakness whenever I realized my surgery would not be in two weeks, but I stuck to the plan. Only one time in the past 6ish weeks have I had anything not on plan intentionally and guess what?! It was all in my head. I wanted this sweet treat. The problem is that I haven't had sugar in so long that it was miserably sweet. I realized at that moment that I did what I had to do, but I ended up pushing the treat away after only a couple of bites and I have not looked back! My biggest concern is that if you do not have the will power during the short time you are in pre-op, how are you going to handle post-op diet requirements that are so much tougher? I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Actually, I'm offering words of encouragement instead, because I've had my weak moments and it took a lot not to cave in. I would suggest sticking with pre-op strictly from here on out. Will power is key... mind over tummy! You will thank yourself for it and realize how much hard work you have put in to make this successful. Plus, you will get rid of a lot of your cravings now, so that you don't have to deal with it when you are on liquids!

Best wishes to you! I know you can do this!

There was an article posted on here somewhere and if I can find it I will post the link. It talked about restriction and how most people misunderstand what "restriction" with lap-band really means. It totally changed my idea about how lanp-band works and I honestly think reading it may have made the difference between me being successful and not being successful. A must read for everyone considering in my opinion!!

Thanks for posting!

That Dr Simpson article is great. I made it part of my signature long ago andI read it often. Even veterans need a refresher once in awhile.

If you hear attitude, I suspect you are hearing your own doubts.n I know that I did. The truth is that the band alone will not make you lose weight. It is not the silver bullet. It is merely a tool to help remind you to make better choices. Any weight loss is life style changing journey. Even Gastric bypass patients regain their weight. Ice cream and milkshakes go down easy, but don't support wight loss. Good luck!

im new too and am in the preop stage Newbie.... if it makes you feel better my doctor only allows the Protein shakes and nothing else. I was on here looking for help on how to make it through these two weeks. I find it even hard because I have small children and husband that I am cooking for and I am trying not to sample the things Im cooking. Plus, I decided not to tell my family I was going through the surgery and my mother and sister and I call each other on three way while watching the cooking channel almost everyday. For some reason they haven't missed a freaking day calling. I have cried almost every day. I did cheat today and I ate grilled chicken breast and broccoli. I know the advice seems hard but the truth hurts and but I know your family loves you and mines loves me so we MUST pull it together and not have any more cheat days because I dont want to end up dead on the table because I did not follow directions or other complications. Everyone is here to help take the for what it was ADVICE.... They have paved the way for us. Hope this helps. Start a new tomorrow.