Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band has been slipped for 10 mths now...getting frustrated!

Hey all!

Most of you probably know my story: I was banded in OCt of 2009 and did well. Lost 104 lbs in 2 yrs, was down to within 9 lbs of my goal when I started having severe nightime reflux last year. Had to sleep on my back only propped up on 3 pillows, taking RX Prilosec, OTC Zantac, and popping Tums like crazy. I refused to tell my dr cuz I was scared he would take out some of my fill. My husband got tired of my whining about my reflux (some mornings I'd wake up with brown stomach acid on my pillow, sorry if tmi) and insisted I see my dr. I made the 6 hr round trip visit to my dr and he did an xray. My band was slipped. So he took out about 1/2 of my 10cc fills (I have a 14cc band) and let me rest for 4 weeks. The reflux stopped right away. Yeah. In 4 weeks I made the trek again (not to mention that everytime I say hello to my dr, it's $160 + the xray) and without doing a followup xray, he put in 1cc. Well, that was fine, still nor reflux, but also no restriction. So 3 weeks later, he put in another 1cc. The reflux came back that night. Went back (yet anoter 6 hr journey - it's an all day affair + $160) so he finally did another xray. It was still slipped (could've done the xray earlier and prevented all this) and said that "he treats the symptoms, not the xray" so he took out the previous 1cc he had put in. I still have 7 cc in my band. I haven't had reflux too bad (maybe 2x a month or so - I can handle it), but much, much less restriction.

In the past year, I've gained 24 lbs. I started Atkins 3 weeks ago in hopes to get rid of it. I promised myself I'd never diet again after getting the band and prided myself on never counting anything and still losing 104 lbs. The Portion Control only works till about 6 pm then it's a free-for-all. I've lost 11 lbs in the past 3 weeks. Still 20 lbs from my 135 goal.

Here's my dilemma: I have this very expensive tool inside me that not's working correctly. Should I go to my dr and pay the over $300 I owe him (no clue where that'll come from) and insist that he correct my problem? That may mean surgery again and starting from scratch, with monthly fills, monthly 6 hrs trips and a liquid diet for 4 weeks (HATED that). Or should I continue to diet and lose the weight (I'm doing well on Atkins, but I'm not really happy right now. I sure miss carbs!) and rely on my band to do just PART of the job? Like I said, I have SOME restriction, just not optimal to lose more weight.

No clue what to do. I'm sure Medicare would pay for revision surgery, but I don't want to demand to my dr that he operate when I have no symptoms anymore. He said this was up to me now, not to rely on my band so much.

What would you do? I HATE dieting, that's why I got the band in the fist place. I luv being able to eat just a few bites of everything I luv and still lose. HATE not being able to eat about 95% of food.< /p>

Suggestions?

Marci

I of course am not a medical professional but in my opinion any doctor who tells you he treats the symptoms and not the X-ray is an idiot! X-rays, blood work, etc. are tools which help lead to a diagnosis and treatment. He obviously now knows your problem - a slipped band and needs to treat that. Treating the cause of the symptoms will lead to a cure in this case hopefully. By just treating the symptoms he is taking the lazy way out, not to mention guaranteeing that you will have to return and keep paying his fees.

Imagine if all doctors only treated the symptoms and not the cause. What if you were having severe headaches and he just gave you pain medication and it turned out you had a brain tumor that could be safely removed? Would you just take the pills?

Well, a couple things stand out...

Your band slipped from being too tight for too long. I don't mean this offensively at all, but I hope others read your story here because this is a text book example of why walking around with a band too tight is dangerous.

I'm curious why your doctor didn't do a complete unfill for a couple weeks to see if the band wouldn't go back into position? Is it because he doesn't think it'll fix the slip? If the slip isn't corrected, be it through emptying the band or surgery, it will only continue to get worse. The fact you've been dealing with reflux for so long is worrisome in itself because it can lead to a lot of other problems in your esophagus, stoma, and throat that are far worse than a slip.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing whatever necessary to have my band fixed even if that meant surgery. It's simply not safe to walk around with a slipped band and reflux. As far as weight loss, you're on your own until you get your band fixed because a slipped band will only get increasingly useless.

You really only have two choices- continue as you are with a slipped band, pray it doesn't get even worse or jeopardize your health, and diet as though you don't have a band at all. Or, learn from this slip, get fixed, and start over fresh.

Best wishes and I hope this all works out for you.

How about getting a second opinion, can you try to find someone closer, especially with that long of a drive? I would of have never stuck to it that long with that kind of trip each time, so kudos to you.

I admit, I'm a spoiled and sometimes naive big-City girl....but since it sounds like you are out-of-pocket anyways, isn't there a Hospital near you that has a Bariatric center that can help you?

I hope you find the help you need before you find yourself with worsening conditions!

Good luck!!

I'm not a doctor...but I do believe in listening to one's body. I would be most concerned for my band's position, and avoiding any potential more adverse medical conditions which could result from a slipped band.

Much of the equation for successful weight loss, with or without a band is making the choice to take more of the responsibility for the healthy decisions for what and how much you eat. You should also consider your level of physical activity. Without exercise, I would never have lost the weight that I have.

The WL tool does not do all the work. If you don't work with it, and keep it properly maintained (properly positioned), you create risks for your health. I know I would not feel safe with a slipped band.

I would consider that my health and well being was the top priority. There is nothing wrong with an unfill to attempt to correct the problem...you just need to take the responsibility for eating healthy and like a Bandster.

It all comes down to personal responsibility for your weight loss. It reads to me that you have not changed your relationship with food, and still embrace some of the maladaptive behaviors which contributed to your need/choice for WLS. IMHO

How about getting a second opinion, can you try to find someone closer, especially with that long of a drive? I would of have never stuck to it that long with that kind of trip each time, so kudos to you.

Unfortunately, Medicare covered my surgery so I had to go to a Center of Excellence, which is 3 hrs away. Now that I'm out of pocket, I inquired at the local center. They will accept me for $1100 + $300 for each fill/unfill. I pay $160 to my dr. can't afford the $1100 to transfer. Wish I could. And I really like my dr. He really is a good dr even tho he's very consertative when it comes to a slipped band.

This is the reason why I haven't moved closer. Plus, if I do have to have a revision, Medicare will cover it and I'll have to go to my current dr anyway.

Marci

I'm not a doctor...but I do believe in listening to one's body. I would be most concerned for my band's position, and avoiding any potential more adverse medical conditions which could result from a slipped band.

Much of the equation for successful weight loss, with or without a band is making the choice to take more of the responsibility for the healthy decisions for what and how much you eat. You should also consider your level of physical activity. Without exercise, I would never have lost the weight that I have.

The WL tool does not do all the work. If you don't work with it, and keep it properly maintained (properly positioned), you create risks for your health. I know I would not feel safe with a slipped band.

I would consider that my health and well being was the top priority. There is nothing wrong with an unfill to attempt to correct the problem...you just need to take the responsibility for eating healthy and like a Bandster.

It all comes down to personal responsibility for your weight loss. It reads to me that you have not changed your relationship with food, and still embrace some of the maladaptive behaviors which contributed to your need/choice for WLS. IMHO

I work out for 70 minutes (45 on the treadmill and25 on weights) 4x a week. I've managed to lose 104 lbs by eating very small portions. Thats was the reason I got the band in the first place - because I couldn't lose it on my own. I don't care what anyone says that the band isn't supposed to restrict your eating - it does mine. And thats why I luv it so much. You're right in that I haven't changed my relationship with food (I think about my next meal even when I'm stuffed from the previous meal), but the band is there to stop me from eating too much. And it's worked very well and it still somewhat works. I get lectures everytime I see my dr on the need to eat more Protein and less carbs.

Why would anyone get WLS if they could do it on their own? If I could eat perfectly healthy and in correct portions I would've never needed it. I would never have had a weight problem to begin with. But thank you for your opinion. I appreciate the feedback.

Marci

I have been stuck at my acid reflux/indigestion number before and it's happening again. I have a 10cc band and every time we get to 5 the same happens to me. I had my band emptied in June 2012, a hiatal hernia repair for second time in Feb 2012... Symptoms came back in Sept 2012 and went to GI doctor. Had my gallbladder removed.

All of a sudden I realized in November I'd gained 25lb back. I was unhappy, you feel like a failure. So I've been having it slowly refilled and last week when I hit 5, bam reflux again. I am having the same problem. Should I just suffer through it to finally lose my last 40-50 or go have another unfil? It's a personal decision I will have to consider but it is interesting to hear someone else has same problem.

I have been stuck at my acid reflux/indigestion number before and it's happening again. I have a 10cc band and every time we get to 5 the same happens to me. I had my band emptied in June 2012, a hiatal hernia repair for second time in Feb 2012... Symptoms came back in Sept 2012 and went to GI doctor. Had my gallbladder removed.

All of a sudden I realized in November I'd gained 25lb back. I was unhappy, you feel like a failure. So I've been having it slowly refilled and last week when I hit 5, bam reflux again. I am having the same problem. Should I just suffer through it to finally lose my last 40-50 or go have another unfil? It's a personal decision I will have to consider but it is interesting to hear someone else has same problem.

Have you had a recnt xray to determine if you have a slip? Severe reflux was my only symptom of a slipped band. No pain, vomiting, anything else. I just couldn't take the almost drowning in my stomach acid everynight anymore. And the pills were doing nothing. I'm good at 7cc, but if my dr adds just 1 more cc then I have the reflux again. I guess it must be safe to keep it slipped, cuz he told me as long as I have no symptoms, I can live this way. So, so, so glad it took care of my reflux. But, I'm dissapointed in my lack of restriction. So much so that I've actually thought about going back to the dr and having him add maybe .5cc just to see if that will help but also not bring back the reflux (or I can live with the reflux as long as I'm still losing). Silly, I know. I should just leave well enuf alone.

I know how bad reflux feels and I feel for you. I can't tell you what to do just tell you that I'm thinking about you and hope things all work out well for you! Good luck!

Marci

I have one question....Isn't the band sutured to the stomach?

Yes, it's stitched to one side (think of a flag poe) to keep it from moving. My band started out a little crokked and it straightened out. I actually saw the xray. Hope that answers you!

MArci