Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing-plateau, I don't know, wrong foods, maybe, what do you eat day to day? Help!

I guess I need to start over like day 1. I go for a fill this Thurs and I sure need the restriction as I feel like I can eat more than a cups worth but don't and I'm hungry every 4 hrs. I've gained a pound this weekend so that means I've only lost 2 lbs this past month since I've seen my surgeon last. I don't eat rice, raw bread, toast sometimes is okay with eggs, I don't eat Pasta as these were things my surgeon told me to stay away from so I do. Early on in my journey I was craving chinese fried rice and tried a bit and got stuck so haven't tried any since so rice would be a no no like he said. I'm getting tired of fish, chicken and cottage cheese. Tomorrow I'm cooking a pot of Beans which I like and will have around all week but that is good for only one meal as I don't want to get tired of that. I know most of you say you eat whatever you want but if that is so how do you lose weight eating pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, mac/cheese, etc? I thought the whole idea of this was to get a new lifestyle and eat healthy and I have tried but I'm getting burned out on what I'm eating everyday. It's making me crave old foods and making me feel deprived and crazy. Today I had oatmeal, Lean Cuisine and wasn't hungry for dinner so I ate a little cottage cheese with some crackers (low fat) and then had a few bites of skinny cow ice cream oh and I had a greek yogurt. Usually what I eat is egg and piece of toast or Cereal, baked chicken and veggie and then I will have a bowl of beans cooked up like I'm doing tomorrow to have on hand for dinner. That consist of my day. I'm scared of eating steak but craving it, yes a filet would be nice but scared to eat it. Oh I did bake a pork chop with fat free mushroom Soup on top for gravy last night. That was a variety. Am I eating wrong? Help, anyone...

Donna I am surely not an expert but one thing that stands out to me is you are eating a lot of carbs. If I ate that kind of food I would gain weight too. I know a lot of people don't watch carbs but everyone is different and maybe your body doesn't handle them well. I know mine doesn't. Just a thought.

Donna I am surely not an expert but one thing that stands out to me is you are eating a lot of carbs. If I ate that kind of food I would gain weight too. I know a lot of people don't watch carbs but everyone is different and maybe your body doesn't handle them well. I know mine doesn't. Just a thought.

maybe I'm not seeing the carbs, I know the few crackers I had were carbs and the oatmeal this morning, I did count the carbs in the lean cuisine but usually day to day basis is cheerio's, yes carbs I know, baked chicken with lemon pepper and a veggie like green Beans. What else am I missing?

Well my question is why are you only eating chicken? I would get burned out too. I dont do carbs either because I cant lose with carbs. Where is your veggies and fruit. eggs with fat free cheese, greek yogurt, Protein Bars with no sugar in them, tofu, good cuts of beef, diced ham, chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad, black bean casserole, salad, shrimp, crab meat, taco salad without the shells, there are many recipes for high Protein low carb meals on allrecipes.com Some people can eat carbs others can't. I am one that can't. There are so many foods out there that are good. Some days I only eat a half of cantelope. On those days I eat a Protein Bar or some lunch meat or a hard boiled egg. If I get sick of salad I take some lunch meat and cut it up finely add some tomatoes and banana peppers. It fills me up and works. If I ate the same thing every day I would get tired too. Make a veggie omelet out of your eggs instead of just eggs. You have to get creative with food. I have a good recipe for black bean casserole if you want it. PM me and I will send it to you.

maybe I'm not seeing the carbs, I know the few crackers I had were carbs and the oatmeal this morning, I did count the carbs in the lean cuisine but usually day to day basis is cheerio's, yes carbs I know, baked chicken with lemon pepper and a veggie like green Beans. What else am I missing?

all sorts of yummies to fill you up

nothing wrong with carbs except (in my opinion only)

they do not fill you up...

lean Proteins (beef, chicken, fish, beans)

and veggies and fruit...will fill you up.

like cheryl and m1 man said, eat more filling foods to fill you up you cant be afraid to eat. eat small bites, chew alot and go slow.

hang in there donna as you and i were banded around the same time frame look how far you have come.....so keep going.

I do eat everything you listed, however I also track every single calories I put in my mouth. So when I do have a piece of pizza it's counted towards my daily calorie allowance.

Perhaps it's the amount of calories you're eating? Either too much or too little? If you don't track them, it might help you to see where you need to make changes if you start for at least awhile.

Best wishes.

i have only lost l lb in 15 days but i just think i need a fill only have 1.cc so far banded dec 4 but lost 45 sofar so yayaay but i eat no rice Pasta bread or sweet sounds like we have the same drs i will cut back on the oatmeal too

Every food you mentioned with the exception of cheese, meat and eggs are loaded with carbs. Beans, oats, flour, yogurt, ice cream, lean cuisine etc are loaded with carbs. There are apps, programs and books everywhere that define and provide nutritional values for all foods.

It does sound like you need more fills. And you're pretty much where I and many others were in the early stages of our journey. No worries, restriction and the green zone will come if you continue to get your fills.

I would highly recommend you sit down with your nutritionist. It really helped me and I'm a know-it-all who thought he knew-it-all but didn't. Made all the diff in the world for me.

tmf

I am almost a yr banded....I eat what I want...just in proportion.....but a yr ago I craved carbs and ate them 24/7......today i dont even crave them...so I eat what i want...but i want good foods.....The 6month pre diet really helped me in this area....You have to do some of the work to get the band to work !

As other posters have already mentioned, you need to get creative with your food preparation, and change things up a bit to keep from getting bored.

Portion size is paramount, so be compliant with that...the eye is tricked easily, so I still measure most meals for accuracy.

Carbs are hidden everywhere, so you need to be aware of what is actually in the foods you eat. I read nutrition labels for everything before I purchase it, though this is usually for my husband, as I prefer the basic foods that are unprocessed.

I love having crustless quiche for Breakfast or lunch...there are so many different veggies you can add so I don't tire of it. I have fresh fruit or a fresh or steamed veggie with every meal. I stay away from all of the starchy veggies, with the occasional sweet potato the only exception.

Grilling fish, using different seasonings is easy...and it is simple to make veggie kabobs to grill at the same time.

Literally, think out of the box on this. "Lean Cusine" and other box foods are heavy on carbs, and not the healthy kind. They are not designed for bariatric patients. Our nutritional needs are different. There are many acceptable Bandster meals for on the go with a little planning ahead.

I have to minimize carbs, because I know that eating unhealthy carbs does lead to cravings which are counterproductive to meeting weight goals. There is a difference in the carbs which naturally occur in fresh fruit and veggies, and those you get in processed products like Pasta.

I know that you will find the motivation to recenter your thoughts and get back on track. It can be frustrating, but take a day at a time.

Try to focus on how far you have already come towards your goals instead of how far you need to travel.

As other posters have already mentioned, you need to get creative with your food preparation, and change things up a bit to keep from getting bored.

Portion size is paramount, so be compliant with that...the eye is tricked easily, so I still measure most meals for accuracy.

Carbs are hidden everywhere, so you need to be aware of what is actually in the foods you eat. I read nutrition labels for everything before I purchase it, though this is usually for my husband, as I prefer the basic foods that are unprocessed.

I love having crustless quiche for Breakfast or lunch...there are so many different veggies you can add so I don't tire of it. I have fresh fruit or a fresh or steamed veggie with every meal. I stay away from all of the starchy veggies, with the occasional sweet potato the only exception.

Grilling fish, using different seasonings is easy...and it is simple to make veggie kabobs to grill at the same time.

Literally, think out of the box on this. "Lean Cusine" and other box foods are heavy on carbs, and not the healthy kind. They are not designed for bariatric patients. Our nutritional needs are different. There are many acceptable Bandster meals for on the go with a little planning ahead.

I have to minimize carbs, because I know that eating unhealthy carbs does lead to cravings which are counterproductive to meeting weight goals. There is a difference in the carbs which naturally occur in fresh fruit and veggies, and those you get in processed products like Pasta.

I know that you will find the motivation to recenter your thoughts and get back on track. It can be frustrating, but take a day at a time.

Try to focus on how far you have already come towards your goals instead of how far you need to travel.

I would love your Breakfast quiche recipe as I love quiche and thank you for your kind words of wisdom, I take them to heart.

Thank you all for everyone's comments, I will listen to all comments. One of you mentioned grill, I don't own a grill, wished I did, I miss grilling but since divorcing and moving in with my mom we just don't grill anymore and really no room for one on the patio so my options are baked or pan seared with Pam spray or Olive oil. I live in a small town with only Kroger, Walmart and food Lion options and they aren't that great for fresh seafood, with that said, Publix is in a nearby town about 30 mins away and I usually make down there once a month, they have great seafood options like salmon which I love and bake. I have really noticed in the last month that I have not had much restriction, I am still not up to the amount of Fluid in my band prior to my gallbladder surgery Dec 3rd so hopefully I will get that Fluid back in this coming Thurs. when I go in as like I stated above I could eat more than a cup's worth at times I feel but choose not to. The first 6 months of my journey I was very sick with vomiting and nausea and pain in back due to gallbladder and then bam Dec 3rd I had gallbladder surgery then all of the sudden I got an infection on my big toe at the cuticle and had to have the nail removed 2 weeks ago so that has been going on for 2 months and now it is so sore that I cannot wear a shoe on that foot so exercise has been non-existent for me this entire time which I hate. My toe is on the mend and each day the soreness is easing so hopefully within a couple of weeks I can put a shoe back on, yay and start walking outside as weather is getting nice here in Kentucky, well, I say nice, 55 to 60 degrees, that's nice for me, lol. Again, thank you all so much for your insight on carbs and opening my eyes to my mistakes.

Donna

Sojourner said:

"I love having crustless quiche for breakfast or lunch..."

So glad I read this post. I used to make this all the time and forgot about it but thanks for the reminder. How do you make yours? I like to use egg beaters and then mix a few real eggs in with it. Low fat cheese and then load it up with veggies.

I have been in a plateau for months!! I just had another fill so I am hopeful.

Maegan, we had surgery a day apart!