Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why not chug water

Why do a lot of people say to sip on Water? Why not chug it if you can. I know I can. N I find it sooooo hard to get all my water in, it always has been hard, but sipping it is even harder. So why not chug?

It all depends on how much restriction you have, how narrow the assuage is.....

Think of a funnel....if the passage is large, you can pour Water into it quickly and it will pass right through to the other end......

If the passage is small, and you pour Water into it fast, more water will be introduced faster than it can go out the other end.....it then overflows over the top....

I have to take small swallows.....if I forget and take big gulps...it will come right back up and I will spit it out......

You have to learn your band and gauge things like this for yourself.....

Same thing with small bites of food.....early on I did not understand this because it did not bother me.....but I had to learn just the same because now there is no other way I can eat solid food.....

Also know that everyone had different levels of restriction so everyone's experience with the band is unique....

I think the sipping is just during the healing stages after surgery. I chug my Water now too, as I can not get enough in if I just sit and drink on it all day. I have to force myself to get enough water. I never drank a lot of anything before surgery so this is a new concept to me.

Why do a lot of people say to sip on Water? Why not chug it if you can. I know I can. N I find it sooooo hard to get all my Water in, it always has been hard, but sipping it is even harder. So why not chug?

Ummm.... same reason only eat 1/2 cup per meal, I don't like pain and throwing up. I sip water because Mistress Band gets out the stiletto heels if I don't

As B-52 mentioned, if you have restriction, you will not be able to chug Water and have it stay down.

Another lesson I have learned, is that your band can feel tighter at different times of the day...for me it is when I get stressed (like while driving in traffic) or first thing in the morning. Sometimes I can only sip Water, other times I can drink faster...it depends on the mood my band is in.

Because there is so much to learn with life with your band, they want you to sip water and develop the habit of doing it so that you don't forget sometime in the future and exceed the limit of how much water can pass through your band.

I used to take all of my prescription pills at once with a big gulp of water. One morning I was rushing to get out of the house...forgot and took my pills the "old way". It wasn't pretty...not going to do that again. Now it is rote memory to take them 1 at a time, and wait a minute between each pill. Life lesson learned at last...

Okay I get it. So right now I should b practicing so when I get to the point when I'm tight, then I won't forget not to chug due to not getting in that habit. Ugh I don't ever want to get so tight that I can't even chug on Water. I got my first fill yesterday; 4 c 's n can still chug water. Thanks for the help. I can see how chugging water could affect me.

I am at restriction and can drink pretty fast. Depends on how you define "chugging". Also if the Water is really cold you can feel it collecting in the pouch and pouring into your empty stomach. Which can give you cramps.

I always chug Water while working out. But the above poster was right, if it's ice cold, I can definately feel it in my chest. But I hate room temp water! So I do use a straw (gasp! A beginners rule is straws are a no-no) to gauge how fast the Water goes in. You can't chug it quite as fast with a straw. I'm almost 3 1/2 yrs out and have never had a problem with straws, btw. You live and learn!

Marci

I drink just as I did pre-band as well. If I didn't "chug" so to speak, I would never get the recommended daily amount in my system,ever! However, I only have 1cc in my band. I have no restriction. I do drink most of my liquids at room temp though, they seem to cooperate better that way. I cannot drink anything ice cold, it feels like swallowing a rock to me. I also use straws, but I don't see the wrong in it because I have had continued success. I'm down 60lbs now in 3 months. :)

during my post op healing as i was healing and swollen, (chugging Water would have hurt or been uncomfortable)....hence the sip part....once all the swelling subsided, things are normal. i drink (sometimes gulp if i am parched)...you learn by doing and seeing how your band works.

Thank y'all. I'm still chugging (I guess I will have to learn) but geeeeeze I just can't get my Water in by sipping. I never have been a water drinker n now that I've been working out so much, I neeeeed water!!! Thanks again for the comments.