Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you PB?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How often do you PB?

• Never have.
    • Less than 5 times since I had my band.
    • A couple of times a month.
    • A couple of times a week.

Unfortunately, way more often than I want to. But it's usually because I get really and in a hurry to eat. So I take great care to slow down and eat small amounts frequently .

gk :rolleyes2:

PBs suck! From the many, I have finally learned that it happens USUALLY when I eat too fast or don't chew enough. But also when I eat TOO MUCH. It is really hard for me to recognize when I'm full... I always want to keep eating because that is what my head wants, but I have to learn to listen to my tummy. Good lessons that I know we all have to learn for ourselves. Good luck to all! ;^)

Yeah I eat too fast and I hate it. I eat way slower then I did before but it's still too fast. I am always paying attention to what I am doing now and it's only 4 mons since I have been banded so I figure it's going to take awhile for myself to get use to everything....I have had bad habbits for all my life even though I never had a weight problem until I was in my late 30's and early 40's so I figure it will take me a year at least. I am down 22 lbs so far and just losing 1 lb about a week. But I do eat too fast always.

Same story new poster - the slower I eat, the less distractions, and if I count my chews I am all good. I also have to listen to my full meter which has a very faint ringer still. Someday I hope it sounds off like a fire alarm but not yet.

And yes - I literally count to at least 30 before I swallow. It has helped me tremendously. Since I started counting, I have only PB'ed 1 time.

I have never actually PB'ed. I've only gotten "stuck" twice and both times lasted for less than 5 minutes. But, it hurt enough to make me not want it to happen again.:thumbup:

I PB a lot. I did today over Breakfast. I was running out of the house because I was late getting up and was eating my muffin on the run. It was so good and I was so hungry that I ate it too quick and as soon as I got to work I had to PB. Then I tried again to eat it later and I ate just one too many bites and back to the bathroom. I had my lapbanding in September and have had to overcome some really lousy eating habits. But as I do I have been able to get through longer and longer times without PBing. It just means that I still have lessons to learn I guess. I go in for my second fill in a week and hate to have to admit all this to my doctor but I know it will not be anything he hasn't already heard.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w1mbpGO/weight.png"></A< a>>

I am one of those people who PB'd almost daily. I just came from my doctors office, she had to take 1 cc out of my 10cc band. I became so swollen over the last few days that no solid food would go down, I was on liquids only for 2 days (not by choice) and scared to death. I feel so relieved. I have to stay on liquids for 3 days then soft food, and slowly start back on meats and harder to chew foods. So, for those of you who get stuck a lot, be careful that you don't start to swell also, I was terrified that my band had slipped.

I do also PB allot but I did before I have reflux so I don't know. But I do know if I eat too fast and don't chew enough I PB allot. I am also afraid I could stretch my band out....I always think I am going to do something wrong. I have 5cc's in me right now from my 2nd fill and I really have to watch what I eat. Seems meat is very hard to swallow. Certain veggies as well so I juice them instead now so I get them in my system. Spinach is the easiest veggie for me to eat. I do get food stuck at least a few times a week and either it goes thru or I bring it back up.

EVERYDAY.....at least once up to MANY!

OMG i PB just about everyday also....

well to sum it up, i basically BP more often then i dont :cursing:

I seem to go in spurts. Lately, I have not been exercising (class ended until January) and I have been drinking a lot less Water during the day. Also, hot liquids work very well to loosen me up, but I haven't been having those beyond my morning Decaf. I got a dental bridge 1 week ago, and chewing has been very difficult. Put all that together, and it spells disaster! I have PBd consistently for the last 2 days. I came on here tonight for some advice, and I am happy to say I found it here. I will be doing liquids tomorrow, then mushies the next day, then real food. Thanks!

So is it a good idea every once in a while to do liquids for a day then mushie then back to regular foods? Does this help with the PB's? I just don't know if I can do liquids all day again except when I get a fill I really don't have a choice.

I do have acid reflux so I think that is part of it too.

Thou when I eat and it takes a while for it to go down I know that's just from the food. I PB allot at that point.

I PB so much that sometimes I can be out and I don't even realize I am and then I have to catch myself so I don't sound like a pig. lol

I think the thought process behind going to liquids and then mushies for a day is to "give it a rest." I know myself, I get tense and worry about PBing when I am in a cycle where it happens a lot. So, backing off food for a day calms me down, gives me a chance to heal, and then I am not only ready for food, but I am much more conscious (sp?) of it. As for your acid reflux, before the surgery I religiously took Pepcid AC - one in the morning and one at night before dinner. Now I don't need them, but always carry them just in case.

Several posters suggested papaya enzymes, and I bought some to give them a try. I have only used them in extreme cases, and they seem to work. I can see where one might be tempted to use them in order to eat more than you should. For now, I have only chewed them when I took that one bite too many that would result in a PB.

Before getting banded in Sept, I read about people PB'ing and sliming and since I HATE throwing up, I mean it totally mortify's me I tried to do everything within my power to not PB; however, I have slimed and it's gross enough. I just hung over a toilet and spit til the episode ended, but NEVER have I PB'd...THANK GOD! I try to be very concious of chewing my food before swallowing. If you're distracted it is easy to swallow more than what you intended to and then you wait to see what's gonna happen. It's so much better to concentrate on eating and chewing so you don't risk the chance of something getting stuck. Good luck to you all in this wonderful weight loss journey and lets make some attainable goals for the new year.

If it's around that time of the month, I get really extra tight - and thus have a tendency to PB alot - like probably 2 times a day. Sometime, if I drink something too fast I have to throw up. One time when I was even trying to take a pill I had to throw up!

When I was first banded (< 6 months in) I told myself that I would never force myself to throw up and I would just wait the pain out. However, after a few more fills, I gave up on that very fast. It is so much easier to just go get it out then wait in pain for it to pass through (if it ever does).

My husband hates when I have to PB. I feel bad that he has to listen to me in the bathroom throwing up. But - you have to do what you have to do. It's not that bad at all.

When it's not around that time of the month, maybe once a week I will have to PB. Usually from not chewing enough.

Hello Everyone, my last PB was due to swallowing a capsule. In looking at it I figured it would go down with no effort. I was wrong. I seemed like it went down side ways and that lingering feeling was there for hours.

Anything I took by mouth after that caused problems. It started after each of the following: a cup of tea, followed by a Cereal bar, then by Water last trying to eat lunch. All this took place between 7:30 am 12:30pm. I had gotten the usual feeling, sliming, gagging, hacking and recycling all that I had tried to drink or eat.

Say that to say this, it is not always eating to fast or too much that will cause you to PB. One thing I noticed when PBing, you know when it's over when that big blob of slime and air bubble come up. Well, that's how it is with me, but you have your own way of knowing when it's over.