Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder Surgery

I am 6 months post op and have to have gallbladder surgery. Has anyone else have this issue if so, did you experience any weight gain? I am 58 pounds down and don't want all of my hard work to go to waste.

I just had mine out two weeks ago. No problems and no I have not gained any weight.

I am 6 mos post op and had to have mine out Dec 3rd. Went in to have an unfill of 2cc's for surgery, was scared that I would gain but lost 5 lbs, woohoo. Stayed with Portion Control. I did however, enjoy a 2" sub from Subway one day, missed that so I indulged. Had complications during surgery and had to stay in the hospital overnight, it was supposed to have been same day surgery but all is good now with the exception of me getting my strength back because I bled so much, I lost blood due to my gallbladder had grown or was attached to my liver and he had to cut it away and it was diseased pretty bad. I will tell you this, after surgery, everything I eat goes right thru me so I take Cholestyramine every morning to keep from having diarrhea.

When is your surgery? You'll do fine. Good luck.

I've been scheduled for Jan, 10th, thanks for the info.

Try to limit your fat intake to under 20 grams/day for awhile. My 17 yr old son had to have his gb removed and a very low fat diet helped him not have diarrhea. Your gb holds bile that the liver produces which is used in the digestion of fats. Unfortunately now the bile goes straight to intestines. No gb to regulate the amount. So staying low fat helps the liver not produce as much. Then slowly go back up to an amount of fat your system can stand.

Amen Tara, that's exactly what I've read and I'm sorry I didn't mention that. I try to limit my fat intake but the medicine I'm on helps a lot too. I had IBS prior to lap band and I was on Cholestyramine for that for diarrhea every day and when I had lap band surgery my diarrhea stopped and I got off of the medicine but then I had to have my gb out and now I'm back on it, ugh.

I'm scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on January 8, 2013. I was banded on June 8, 2012. I'm 55# down. Nervous about surgery! Didn't get an unfill. Is the recovery similar? Is the gas pain worse? At least we don't have liquid diets to abide by for weeks! Did you have a gallbladder attack?

I'm scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on January 8, 2013. I was banded on June 8, 2012. I'm 55# down. Nervous about surgery! Didn't get an unfill. Is the recovery similar? Is the gas pain worse? At least we don't have liquid diets to abide by for weeks! Did you have a gallbladder attack?

I was back to normal after about a week but my surgery wasn't normal. My gallbladder was very diseased once he got in there and had also attached itsself to my liver and he had to cut it away and I lost a lot of blood therefore what was supposed to have been outpatient ended up being a night spent in the hospital and a drainage tube in my abdomen till the next day. I felt really good after about a week and half. Never had the gas pains. Iwas experiencing nausea/vomiting some and pain in my back and I also showed gallstones. Hope all goes well. Good luck.

I had no pain once I was medicated after surgery. None at all once I was home and I was able to eat regular food that night. I have had no issues except for some discomfort when I eat dairy and then I only have bloating so I dont eat it anymore. Other then that I was doing laundry by 3 days post op. I have had a wonderful recovery and I had no gas after surgery. Piece of cake.

What did you experience to know that you had gallbladder issues? This is one of my fears.

I woke up about 4 in the morning with this awful pain in my chest, thought it was something I ate, I called my doctor who thought that I might have had something stuck and told me to come into the office, The nurse came in and said that she was going to take Fluid out of the band, I informed her that I never had a fill, she asked if I still had my gallbladder I told her I did, after the doctor did the exam he, told me to go the the ER because it was probable my gallbladder.

Most experience chest pain or back pain on the upper right side. If you don't have full blockage the pain will come and go often getting worse after eating as eating triggers your gallbladder to start working. Also might have a general yet almost constant feeling of just not feeling well. A feeling of nausea. For some it bothers them to sit up but not be bothered by standing. If you think you have an issue there's a scan they can do. Inject you and then measure your gallbladder function. I believe if you have less than 30% function they recommend having it removed. It's not like your appendix. Rarely a MUST have it removed immediately.

Thank you both, this helps me know what to be aware of.

Gas, bloating, belching, right flank pain. Usually when you eat dairy, high fats it triggers attacks

What did you experience to know that you had gallbladder issues? This is one of my fears.

Textbook symptoms are pain in the right upper quadrant, back, bloating, etc. My attack consisted of abdominal pain in my lower abdomen rated 10/10! I thought I was going to die! Upon palpating, there was significant rebound tenderness in my right upper quadrant (which is also textbook for cholelithiasis). I haven't had an attack since that night. The attacks are caused by a stone becoming dislodged and getting stuck in the common bile duct entering the lower intestine. I do notice I have nausea, bloating, and gas with higher fat foods. Not sure if surgery will resolve that or not...