Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The # 1 Lesson I Learned from my Band

There have been several lessons learned obviously...... but overwhelmingly the # 1 lesson I have learned from my band is that my life doesnt revolve around food. Eating is no longer an "experience" its just filling a void which I need to survive. I am not saying I do not love food. I love to cook, entertain, plan family meals.... it is just so different now... I no longer care where we eat, I don't look forward to holiday meals for the act of eating food, I don't care if I like what someone is bringing to a picnic or other pot luck event... its just food. And I don't eat enough of it to care.

This became evident when for the hundreth time in the past 2 years my husband said... lets go out to dinner... where do you want to go? I was like I don't care.... I got the typical eye roll action .... so I said... its not because I do not want to decide...but because the food just isnt important so pick a place you would like to eat and I will find something on the menu for me. He finally got it....

For me this has been a key factor is becoming a thin person...

I couldn't agree with you more!! Very well said!!

thanks...even tho hate there isnt grammer and spell check on this site...LOL

always inspiring to read your posts.

congrats on a job well done (and helping) us/me out :)

Totally with you on this one! I go through the same thing when my hubs ask me where I want to go and eat. He got so made when he wanted to take me out for my birthday and I didn't want to decide where to go, I finally just told him this italian place that I know he loves. They have great chicken catatorrie (sp?) they serve without pasta- just chicken and veggies, but they serve so much I have to get a box and bring half home.

I love it- totally awesome not to be consumed by food!!!

Totally agree and thanks for sharing!

Yes food is no longer a wanted habit for me either. Could care less about food now. I used to eat two dunkin doughnut cinnamon rolls for Breakfast. I think they are both six hundred calories a piece so I got my whole days calories in one meal. Makes me sad that I loved food like that.

Yes food is no longer a wanted habit for me either. Could care less about food now. I used to eat two dunkin doughnut cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I think they are both six hundred calories a piece so I got my whole days calories in one meal. Makes me sad that I loved food like that.

Every weekday morning I had a Sausage Egg and cheese McGriddle @ 540 calories , hash browns 150 cal and diet coke... Its never seemed like that much food. Imagine that?

I love this thread! Thanks so much for starting it!

I just sneezed so hard right now it caused 1 step on me pedometer lol.. anyway.. hehe

Inspiring post as always.. ! love it. I totally get what you mean about life not revolving around food and everyting you mention, pot lucks.. always wondered.. oooOooo.. what are they bringing.. mmmmmm! now it just is what it is. My head isn't in that exact place still, but it's pretty close.. everyday I notice something better. Even when I have cravings.. ( I still do >< ) they don't last as long as before, I use to always give in to my cravings.. diet or not. Not anymore!

I had to remember....my sister and I use to go for a coffee and donut and we couldnt decide if we wanted a donut or a muffin...sooooo we would have one of each....today when we go...we get a coffee no sugar and a flat bread sandwich and share it...and we enjoy it so much more.....great thread...

Love that Dee! :D

Another great post Floridays!

My kids get so mad at me b/c I feel the same way. Like you, I say you pick.

Can't wait until the eye rolls stop! Maybe I'll show them this post and they'll get it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Great post and I so get what you are saying. I'm only just over five months banded and this is how I feel towards food now. A great example the other day my husband and oldest son went to a car show, on the way home they stopped off at out favorite continental cake store in the city And picked up six cannoli (those wicked long shaped pastries with vanilla custard cream on one end and chocolate on the other). When they came home they were like, look what we got. I said they look yum and continued doing what I was doing. Both looked at me sort of disappointed and said we got you a mini one so you can enjoy one with us. I thanked them both and said ill have mine later. Two days later mine was still in the fridge. In the past I would have inhaled the box and contents right out of their hands.

This Christmas I'm cooking for both sides of my family, twenty in total. I'm still cooking all the goodies everyone loves but this time for me I'm not going to be rubbing my belly and complaining I ate too much. I love entertaining, I love cooking but it's so nice to be in control of what I now put in my mouth.

So true!!! Finally my life does not revolve around food. I still love food, but now really love the way it smells and looks. Once I've had a few bites I can now say, okay, I'm full. I love my band!