Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Soda Bad Once In A While?

Yes, soda is bad --always.

I'm very shocked as I read this. My doc said there is no problems with diet soda as long as I pour it and let the fizz settle some. I had no idea how serious this is and will become a tea and Water only person. Ty for sharing this

I think a small amount once in awhile is fine. I dont see how that could hurt .. But thats just my opinion..

That's because you are not a bariatric surgeon who has seen the damages it causes. If you were you'd answer differently.

Carbonation is the only "forbidden" food for banded people. The reason is twofold: First' date=' it can stretch the pouch above the band. The more serious and second reason is, it can cause band slips.

liquids pass through the band immediately, but carbonation expands in the stomach. When this happens, the pressure pushes upward on the band from below, causing the potential for a slip.[/quote']

And let's not forget what a sewn in place slippage would feel like and what damage it would do. It's not like a ring slipping off your finger. That puppy is stitched in place!

Love it! Chez says NO SODA' date=' so that means NO SODA![/quote']

You know it GF! We'll be reading a few threads about slippage coming up here soon!

Lol! Chez is DO honest and real with all of us. . .that's why I love her!!! Why compromise something you're working so hard to achieve! I gave soda up cold turkey before surgery. I was drinking Rt.44 Dr.Pepper w/longer from Sonic on a daily. . .but' date=' this is something that I really wanted (and I'm self paid), so I WILL NOT RISK IT![/quote']

Ok tiff if someone was to walk up to you and say " how would you like to live a thin persons life, be happy and healthy all the time, eat in moderation but eat anything you'd like? The only catch is you'd have to give up carbonation." What would you say?

I for one would ask where to sign up!

I wouldnt for starters because doctor said not to, but mostly because diet coke then just a small piece of chocolate, mabye try some french fries etc...

MiniMi like I said, I gave it up before surgery! I just won't risk it!

I've had the surgery and I will NOT have ANY type of carbonation!

You go girl!

This is a major hinderance for me...I am so guilty. Most of the times I drink a soda so I can burp and to relieve pressure. I am officially giving it up. I think it does a lot to my stomach and plateau my weight loss. Please keep me lifted in prayer that I lose the taste for sodas yet find a better way to burp.

I tell ya some folks have been praying for me... I didn't start immediately but in January I just stopped cold. Thanks for the support

It can be done if you want it!

Carbonation is the only "forbidden" food for banded people. The reason is twofold: First' date=' it can stretch the pouch above the band. The more serious and second reason is, it can cause band slips.

liquids pass through the band immediately, but carbonation expands in the stomach. When this happens, the pressure pushes upward on the band from below, causing the potential for a slip.[/quote']

Wow this sounds scary. I stopped soda years before surgery n after surgery all carbonation. I thought it was just a gas effect n didn't realize all this could also happen. I love this forum because we can all learn new things from each other every day.

My doctor allows caffeine, as long as it's not more than one cup a day. As for the carbonation? They said that there is no medical proof that it causes slippage and the chances of carbonation stretching your pouch is slim to none. He said it would take A LOT of carbonation to do that. That being said, they suggest we limit it to no more than a few times a week and to sip it. Once you stop drinking it for any length of time it is hard to go back to anyway. I drank regular pepsi, 3-4 cans a day for years. I switched to diet about 9 years ago and can't have anything to do with the regular stuff now. Before surgery I started weening myself off and avoided it completely for a few months. Every once in a while I get a craving and will take maybe 5-6 sips out of a can before I have had my fill and am good for another week or two. I personally haven't had any problems. The best advice is to, first: listen to your doctor, second: listen to your body. Subconsciously, you are well aware of what you can handle. If you feel guilty doing it, then that should tell you something... =)

I gave up diet coke the day I started my pre-op diet. Wasn't unusual to have 10 cans a day, hasn't been a problem. Now when summer hits, then it will hurt :huh: