Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Soda Bad Once In A While?

I realize that this would be a hassle. I recommend bringing drinks with you that are no calorie. I find my biggest challenges are when I am NOT prepared for situations that come up. Some are easier to deal with the others such as bringing Protein Bars in your car or keeping drinks there as well. I think it would be a very slippery slope you would end up drinking soda more and more which could cause a problem. Personally in that situation if I had to have a drink I would have chosen juice. Perhaps even watering it down so that you could drink more ounces for the same amount of calories.

I agree when it is said we must be prepared. Not everyone is going to live our lifestyle so I think we have to assume they are not and prepare ourselves.

We can have tea and coffee. I buy the re-usable and one use wonders for about 10 coffee cups, and instead of stopping for a skinny cafe latte i take a pre made coffee to work with me

I understand about carbonation, but what is the big deal with caffeine? I always assumed they say no caffeine to everybody, but it was really meant for the people that had 10

Cokes a day. But what does it do to you? Why is it so bad?

I understand about carbonation' date=' but what is the big deal with caffeine? I always assumed they say no caffeine to everybody, but it was really meant for the people that had 10

Cokes a day. But what does it do to you? Why is it so bad?[/quote']

My dr said for some it triggers hunger or upsets stomachs. He said if it does not have that effect on me, then i can go ahead and have a cup of coffee. It actually makes me not hungry and calms my MS nausea.

That is the only caffeine I have is one cup of coffee in the morning. An sometimes not every day. Just wondering what the deal with it was. I don't feel so bad for having it now!

My dr asked me flat out before my surgery, can u give up soda and carbonation for the rest of your life? Of course I said yes even though I was drinking a six pack a day. I quit cold turkey two days before surgery. I am one month post op and that has been the hardest thing for me so far. I want a soda so bad, but I won't. It's not worth the risk.

This is a major hinderance for me...I am so guilty. Most of the times I drink a soda so I can burp and to relieve pressure. I am officially giving it up. I think it does a lot to my stomach and plateau my weight loss. Please keep me lifted in prayer that I lose the taste for sodas yet find a better way to burp.

My dr told me every once in a while would not hurt but my NUT said absolutely not. I look at like if i drink it i will think one more can't hurt. I would just rather not drink at all. I like saying that I have not had any in several months. But I know what you mean about nothing else to drink. I now always try to think ahead about my food and drink. Maybe get some bottled Water to keep over there.

Im too scared that carbonation will bust my band. I got banded last tuesday and i dont notice any restriction. If you have to drink cals or juice once in a while, id say drink a small amount before anything with carbonation. Im really going to miss diet coke in the summer!!

I may be in the minority...but I will say that once in a while I drink a soda. I have given up dt. coke-it just doesn't taste good-but when I was sick I did drink 7-up (although it did get flat) and lately I have been craving orange soda...which by the time I finally drink it it's flat. I get very tired of Water and iced tea and like you, I don't want to drink much juice because of the calories. Generally...only a couple sips of the soda and I'm fine...so I have started sharing one with my husband or my son...which makes us all happy.

I keep a case of bottled Water in my car at all times. It started as an accident one summer when I forgot to take it in after a grocery run. I was super thirsty and remembered I had the water. Now, it's a permanent fixture! I have also purchased a lunch-sized soft-side cooler so I can carry healthy foods with me when running errands, traveling, and visiting people. Keeps me out of the fast food lanes!

I have talked to my Dr about this and I drink soda, maybe every other day and its always diet, regular soda taste weird to me. He said there really shouldn't be an issue if you pour he soda into a cup and let it sit for 15 mins, stirring if you want. Maybe I am weird but it actually cuts my carvings and hunger. But this is something you should talk to your Dr about it. Everyone uses different techniques and some do better with slips. This may not be a popular opinion but its really worked for me. Much better to drink flat diet soda then some chocolate, for me.

I thought that the soda was because of the calories. I didnt know about the carbonation. What can carbonation do? I also didnt know whats wrong with using a straw.

Carbonation causes gas and it will hurt, and when using a straw, you suck in air bubbles giving the same effect.

I keep a case of bottled Water in my car at all times. It started as an accident one summer when I forgot to take it in after a grocery run. I was super thirsty and remembered I had the Water. Now' date=' it's a permanent fixture! I have also purchased a lunch-sized soft-side cooler so I can carry healthy foods with me when running errands, traveling, and visiting people. Keeps me out of the fast food lanes![/quote']

Me TOO! No matter what, I have water and my own food!