Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

As many of you know, I was stuck for more than a month. I was monitoring my calories, getting in all my Protein and exercising, yet the scale didn't budge. I know, plateaus are normal, but they still suck. Around the time the plateau hit I also started taking birth control pills. I even gained 2 pounds, which for me was the deal breaker. I had to find a way to break the plateau and start losing again.

So I started researching. Low carb, high carb, no carb, etc. I see so many variations on here! What's right? What's wrong? I already knew it was a matter of choice without a clear right or wrong answer, but I also knew individual body needs also played a very big part in it. During my research I kept coming across something called carb cycling, so I decided to look more into it.

Carb cycling is essentially trying to optimize your metabolism by alternating high and low carb days. Body builders often do this to build muscle and burn fat before a contest but it's also very helpful for weight loss. Then one day I turned on Doctor Oz...and wouldn't you know it... it was an episode on carb cycling. Chris Powell, of The Biggest Loser, was on his show talking about he has all the contestants on the show carb cycle and how he does it. For me, this was the point I decided to give carb cycling a try.

Chris Powell's method is specifically for weight loss so I decided to go with his (there's many out there). He has an excellent book called “Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution”.

His theory: No carb diets don't work. It's not sustainable long term and eventually it significantly slows the metabolism. Worse, people who cut out carbs usually end up gaining all their weight back and then some when they do suddenly reintroduce carbs. Carbs are the energy block of the body and a long term lack of carbs will cause the thyroid to slow down significantly.

7 day diet/carb cycling: High carb day followed by low carb day, alternating daily. Start on a high carb day and always eat within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Always limit or omit carbs after 6pm.

All this is within your own personal daily calorie allowance.

High carb day/energy day:

• Preferably complex carbs. Protein, low fat. unlimited veggies.

Low carb day/burn day:

• A little carb in the morning to boost metabolism
  • Cut carbs the rest of the day.
  • Protien, healthy fats, unlimited veggies

3 of each/low carb and high carb. 7th day is cheat day

Cheat day:

• Boost calories to boost metabolism
  • Boost to no more than 1000 extra calories a day
  • Cheat at Breakfast and lunch, not dinner. 6-12pm “behave”
  • Cheat at a table. Not in a car, or at a sofa, etc. No “hypno binging”
  • No leftovers allowed.

Mind you, this is the short version of all this. If this interests you, I'd strongly suggest buying his book for a better understanding. It's very enlightening.

...So this is what I've done for the last week. I am very happy to say, carb cycling broke my plateau, despite still being on the birth control pill too. I lost 5.4 pounds this week!

I have decided I am going to continue to carb cycle. I am not a fan of the low carb days, but I am getting more used to them. Plus, I find my "carb cravings" have all but disappeared since starting this- something I didn't think possible.

For me, it's working. I just thought I'd share the results of my little self experiment :)

awesome! thank you for posting, this is the first time i hear of this....where have i been? under a rock, lol

again, thank you and have a wonderful weekend :)

As many of you know' date=' I was stuck for more than a month. I was monitoring my calories, getting in all my Protein and exercising, yet the scale didn't budge. I know, plateaus are normal, but they still suck. Around the time the plateau hit I also started taking birth control pills. I even gained 2 pounds, which for me was the deal breaker. I had to find a way to break the plateau and start losing again.

So I started researching. Low carb, high carb, no carb, etc. I see so many variations on here! What's right? What's wrong? I already knew it was a matter of choice without a clear right or wrong answer, but I also knew individual body needs also played a very big part in it. During my research I kept coming across something called carb cycling, so I decided to look more into it.

Carb cycling is essentially trying to optimize your metabolism by alternating high and low carb days. Body builders often do this to build muscle and burn fat before a contest but it's also very helpful for weight loss. Then one day I turned on Doctor Oz...and wouldn't you know it... it was an episode on carb cycling. Chris Powell, of The Biggest Loser, was on his show talking about he has all the contestants on the show carb cycle and how he does it. For me, this was the point I decided to give carb cycling a try.

Chris Powell's method is specifically for weight loss so I decided to go with his (there's many out there). He has an excellent book called “Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution”.

His theory: No carb diets don't work. It's not sustainable long term and eventually it significantly slows the metabolism. Worse, people who cut out carbs usually end up gaining all their weight back and then some when they do suddenly reintroduce carbs. Carbs are the energy block of the body and a long term lack of carbs will cause the thyroid to slow down significantly.

7 day diet/carb cycling: High carb day followed by low carb day, alternating daily. Start on a high carb day and always eat within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Always limit or omit carbs after 6pm.

All this is within your own personal daily calorie allowance.

High carb day/energy day:

[*']Preferably complex carbs. Protein, low fat. unlimited veggies.

Low carb day/burn day:

[*]A little carb in the morning to boost metabolism

[*]Cut carbs the rest of the day.

[*]Protien, healthy fats, unlimited veggies

3 of each/low carb and high carb. 7th day is cheat day

Cheat day:

[*]Boost calories to boost metabolism

[*]Boost to no more than 1000 extra calories a day

[*]Cheat at breakfast and lunch, not dinner. 6-12pm “behave”

[*]Cheat at a table. Not in a car, or at a sofa, etc. No “hypno binging”

[*]No leftovers allowed.

Mind you, this is the short version of all this. If this interests you, I'd strongly suggest buying his book for a better understanding. It's very enlightening.

...So this is what I've done for the last week. I am very happy to say, carb cycling broke my plateau, despite still being on the birth control pill too. I lost 5.4 pounds this week!

I have decided I am going to continue to carb cycle. I am not a fan of the low carb days, but I am getting more used to them. Plus, I find my "carb cravings" have all but disappeared since starting this- something I didn't think possible.

For me, it's working. I just thought I'd share the results of my little self experiment :)

Just downloaded on my iPad ...my surgeon approved of this yesterday. Thank you!

I was wondering where you disappeared to Missy!! Glad you had a great time! minus the sucky drive.. but hopefully it was pretty! 2lbs isn't much for a vacation.. back to the awesome grind! :)

I am continuing to semi carb cycle. Since I am 7 weeks out of surgery, I do low carb low carb, high carb. Seems to work better for me. have lost almost 10lbs in 2.5 weeks :)

I am very interested in trying this. Everyone seems to be having great results. I've ordered the book but it won't be in for about a week. I would like to start tomorrow. Do any of you have any tips to get me started. I tried watching the videos on the website, but my Internet is so slow they wouldn't play. Can someone give me the basic amounts for high carb and low carb days please. I want to do some grocery shopping to get prepared this afternoon. Thanks!

Well, I've only been carb cycling again since Monday and already lost the 2.6 pounds I gained while on vacation last week. Needless to say, this makes me very happy. I'll definitely be carb cycling until Christmas Eve- I'm only 3 pounds from my Christmas goal and determined to reach it.

I've decided while carb cycling may not be a reasonable option to do for months on end, it is a GREAT way to break plateaus and get back on track after minor set backs like vacations or "bad food days".

For any of you looking for the book, don't forget about eBay. I found it for $10.00 from a Goodwill store. It's on the way!

Just a small update. I started carb cycling again on Monday, after gaining 2.6 pounds while on vacation.

I lost the 2.6 pounds plus another 6.5 pounds this week, for a total of 9 pounds.

Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased.

My plan remains to continue carb cycling until Christmas Eve, take a break and just restrict calories again for a week or two, then possibly go back and carb cycle again if I do any "damage" over Christmas and New Years.

Just a small update. I started carb cycling again on Monday' date=' after gaining 2.6 pounds while on vacation.

I lost the 2.6 pounds plus another 6.5 pounds this week, for a total of 9 pounds.

My plan remains to continue carb cycling until Christmas Eve, take a break and just restrict calories again for a week or two, then possibly go back and carb cycle again if I do any "damage" over Christmas and New Years.[/quote']

Great job!!! Im going to have to figure this out...Going to have to buy book..

Just a small update. I started carb cycling again on Monday, after gaining 2.6 pounds while on vacation.

My plan remains to continue carb cycling until Christmas Eve, take a break and just restrict calories again for a week or two, then possibly go back and carb cycle again if I do any "damage" over Christmas and New Years.

wowww!!

9 lbs in a week?? did i read that correctly??

Good for you!

Your successful posts give me the strength and encouragement i need to continue trying so hard (even though it's been a rough week)

Thanks!

wowww!!

9 lbs in a week?? did i read that correctly??

Good for you!

Your successful posts give me the strength and encouragement i need to continue trying so hard (even though it's been a rough week)

Thanks!

Yes, but I have found after a couple weeks with no loss, it's pretty easy for me to dump a good amount in a week. I'm pretty sure my loss will now slow A LOT for the next couple of weeks. I guess it's kinda like my "weight loss cycle".

Just borrowed the book and read most of it

Very interesting

One other thing (dunno if it's been mentioned here) is that a major key is the 5 meals/day (eating every 3 hours)

this boosts the metabolism and gets the body burning more

I believe he categorizes low-fat string cheese into the fats category. For me personally, I would put it into the Protein category.

That's whats cool about this, we can alter it a bit to fit into our lifestyles (he says so himself) as long as we keep to the main rules

BTW, does anyone follow his exercise regimen?

I didn't have time to read that part yet, but the illustrations seem interesting

I go to a gym 3-4 times a week and do both cardio and strength training but I don't use a trainer, I just do "my own thing". Maybe his exercise techniques are better than what i'm currently doing

I don't eat every 3 hours nor do I follow his exercises. I do the carb cycling itself, including eating within a half hour of waking and the cheat day, but I definitely have modified his program to fit my life.

like!!!

Also, he mentions that its really easy to cook foods in bulk and then just store in a portion sized container. For me that's a great idea becuase otherwise i'm way to busy to cook healthy foods and i wind up eating awful things.

Any ideas of whats a good low carb meal? I don't eat fish, but I have made grilled chicken breast and those sorts of things. I also cut up fruit (for high carb days) and have little packets of nuts prepared

Any other ideas?

I am waiting for the book too!! No milk will not be a problem for me I dont drink it anyway, can I still have coffee and sf Creamer, without that I may die or beat my patients.