Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

I only buy them on occasion because they are a little too good :). If you are looking for a Protein Bar Questbars are really good and the numbers on them are really good' date=' high Fiber content. They are a little pricey, but I can never find bars with less than 25-30 carbs each.[/quote']

I LOVE Quest bars...I toot a lot with them though....but they are really healthy and super delicious. Best bang for the net carb / Protein buck.

I could not imagine eating some of the carb items, as they would get stuck. I can only eat 1/2cup to 3/4cup of food per meal and it is usually tuna salad or chicken salad or similar. I could never eat bread, nuts, etc., as it would get stuck!

I love Pasta, bread, rice, and potatoes. The only bread that gets stuck for me is the unhealthy kind- the fluffy processed white stuff. If I stick to whole wheat, I'm fine so long as I take small bites and chew it until mush.

I LOVE Quest bars...I toot a lot with them though....but they are really healthy and super delicious. Best bang for the net carb / Protein buck.

Honestly, even if you're not on low carb, if you look at the nutritional info they seem to be a great way to get in some extra protein in the form of a healthy snack.< /p>

I can't wait to try them. The strawberry cheesecake looks yummy!

Well here's something interesting I learned today!

I don't know if this is in Chris' book and I just missed it (I admit to not reading thoroughly), but when you're counting carbs you shouldn't count fiber. That's why you see Atkins products on the grocery store shelves say "net carbs" but their nutritional info shows more carbs, It's because it's not counting fiber in your total.

The reason is, fiber doesn't effect the glycemic index, aka your blood sugar. In fact, your body needs fiber. Not only is it good for you and your bowels, it's also bulky and helps keep you full.

So...an example. Today is a low carb day for me. I've had:

41.6g Carbs

-5.8g Fiber

35.8 Net Carbs

So my carbs counted towards my daily allowance would be 35.8.

Just thought I'd share my latest research!

omg I love you! lol.. I was just asking my bf today if he knew what the "net carbs" mean. I use these wheat tortilla wraps and they have 5 net carbs yet they say 14 carbs in the back.. yes they included the fiber. I am so happy to know it doesn't effect the blood sugar levels! yay!!! :D and thanks much for the info! and Also girls.. those bars sound great! gonna check them out! Thanks!

omg I love you! lol.. I was just asking my bf today if he knew what the "net carbs" mean. I use these wheat tortilla wraps and they have 5 net carbs yet they say 14 carbs in the back.. yes they included the fiber. I am so happy to know it doesn't effect the blood sugar levels! yay!!! :D and thanks much for the info! and Also girls.. those bars sound great! gonna check them out! Thanks!

Don't forget what 2012 said, too. That sugar alcohol doesn't effect your blood sugar and shouldn't be included in net carbs either. :)

I hope you like them! I just ordered some tonight from Vitamin Shoppe. I had also found this Protein bar recipe on youtube that you guys may be interested in, I have not tried it yet, but the carbs are only 16.9: http://www.youtube.c...?v=C8Qby2ZfwA4. If you click on the show more, it breaks down the nut values.

I am going to make these , thanks for posting this! Makes sense, Protein Bars are very expensive, this is a great way to save, and I like that you know what all the ingredients are. You can even doctor this up!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Alcohol sugars? I don't think I've ever seen those, well haven't noticed so I am going to check for that also!! thanks 2012! Never knew there was such a thing!

You are welcome. Sugar Alcohols will only show up in sugar free items, when they add sorbitol or another form of it. You can pull up the nutrition labels at the Atkins website to see an example to make it more clear. I was pretty happy when my nutritionist told me this and I trust her because she teaches other RDs at the University of Cincinnati and also had the lapband and kept her weight off for years, her picture is outside of the doctor's office door, she lost a huge amount of weight.

You are welcome. Sugar Alcohols will only show up in sugar free items, when they add sorbitol or another form of it. You can pull up the nutrition labels at the Atkins website to see an example to make it more clear. I was pretty happy when my nutritionist told me this and I trust her because she teaches other RDs at the University of Cincinnati and also had the lapband and kept her weight off for years, her picture is outside of the doctor's office door, she lost a huge amount of weight.

I saw it in my sugar free pudding last night. Was kinda funny because I had enough calories in my budget for it, but it was a low carb day, and I didn't want to go over in carbs. But I looked and sure enough when I subtracted the sugar alcohol, it fit into my carb budget. YAY!!

So you subtract sugar alcohols like the fiber which will give you the net carbs? i'm kind of confused with that one.. I only see 0 sugar alcohol on my stevia.

So you subtract sugar alcohols like the fiber which will give you the net carbs? i'm kind of confused with that one.. I only see 0 sugar alcohol on my stevia.

Yes correct. Stevia wouldn't have it because Stevia is an organic sugar substitute. Look on the back of something sugar free, like sugar free pudding, and you'll see sugar alcohol.

Here, I found a pic. I put a red arrow pointing to the sugar alcohol.

So this sugar free cookie would only actually count as 10 carbs, because you subtract 3 for fiber and 3 for sugar alcohol.

ServeImage_zpsbc97ca44.jpg

I just don't get none of this

To complicated for me

I guess that's why I fell at every diet

Never understand none of this

:(

I just don't get none of this

To complicated for me

I guess that's why I fell at every diet

Never understand none of this

:(

This isn't for everyone, that's for sure. Some do low carb, some don't restrict carbs at all, and some vary between the two. Everyone needs different things to be successful.