Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

Sorry meant to attach this too x

post-346582-13813141629558_thumb.jpg

I need to read this book and follow it! I need to lose more' date=' but have not been all that great of a bandster as of late. I've been emotional and giving in to temptations a little too much. But I have been exercising more. I am in PT and my new therapist is working me more than I have ever done. He has me exercising harder than ever, and loving it! It's like having a personal trainer for an hour a couple times a week, and I both look forward to it, and dread it. lol

I am definitely gonna get that book and start the carb cycling like you do. My problem is I am not sure how many calories I should be eating.... My Fitness Pal says to lose 1.5 pounds a week I can eat 1700 calories a day but I think that is too much.[/quote']

I know it is been a while of your post. I am newly banded and just browsing through forums. I thought I would tell you my experience with fitnesspal. It started by telling me to eat 1280 cals, but these were my first days, so I was doing 300 the first 2 weeks and now i am doing 1000. I am going to try to keep at 1000. It readjusted for me because I lose 12 pounds quick, giving me now 1220. But I was reading a lot and I found that some people have said that 900-1000 cals is enough. I also just had a nextplanom put in for birth control, and so far it doesnt seem to affect weight gain. I know it is different for everyone, but it is working for me. Just be aware that the side effects may include daily spotting or constant bleeding.

I know it is been a while of your post. I am newly banded and just browsing through forums. I thought I would tell you my experience with fitnesspal. It started by telling me to eat 1280 cals' date=' but these were my first days, so I was doing 300 the first 2 weeks and now i am doing 1000. I am going to try to keep at 1000. It readjusted for me because I lose 12 pounds quick, giving me now 1220. But I was reading a lot and I found that some people have said that 900-1000 cals is enough. I also just had a nextplanom put in for birth control, and so far it doesnt seem to affect weight gain. I know it is different for everyone, but it is working for me. Just be aware that the side effects may include daily spotting or constant bleeding.[/quote']

Remember MFP is not based on banded people. I have around 900 a day and as long as i try to get in around 20g of Protein per meal the I do ok. I was banded in September and am nearly 60lb down. It can be slow but they say thats better.

Bandsters can hit a lot of plateaus and the carb cycling seems a good boost to get out of that rut.

MFP will always give you a basic calorie intake allowance and calorie burn for cardio (which is always a lot higher than it actually is for me - tested with a monitor) but you can change this to the amount your nutritionalist recommends in the settings section.

I have had an Implanon rod for about 5yrs. I cannot say it caused weight gain as I've been heavy most if my life. Thankfully never had any bleeding since day 1 x

When using MFP for recording you need to set up the calories and Protein to what your physician suggests. I have used MFP for over a year and it like the band is a tool to keep me focused and accountable. I hit many comps on my almost 3 year journey but I reached my goal and changed my eating habits , hopefully for ever! Good luck to you!

My friend at work is doing this exact diet to boost his metabolism and get ripped for a bodybuilding competition and I have to say it's working for him. He's 6ft tall and goal was 15 lbs away. You can see muscle definition through his shirt.... Crazy!!

I wonder if this is a viable diet plan for a diabetic?

My friend at work is doing this exact diet to boost his metabolism and get ripped for a bodybuilding competition and I have to say it's working for him. He's 6ft tall and goal was 15 lbs away. You can see muscle definition through his shirt.... Crazy!!

I wonder if this is a viable diet plan for a diabetic?

I would check with your doctor or nutrionist, but if you know the right carbs to eat on the high carb days for a diabetic I wouldn't think it would be bad. You'd just have to be sure you're not making your blood sugar spike.

I'd check with your doc to be safe. :)

I've been reading the book and I'm definitely going to start this on Thursday. I figure by then, I'll be done with the book and will have my shopping list made out. I've already done my shopping for this week, so today isn't really a good day for me to start, especially since it Mother' Day. This sounds very doable, and I'm looking forward to seeing the scale move again. I had gained a couple pounds this past week, but have already dropped that this weekend, so I'm ready to keep on losing :) ...no more gains for me :angry: !

I've been reading the book and I'm definitely going to start this on Thursday. I figure by then' date=' I'll be done with the book and will have my shopping list made out. I've already done my shopping for this week, so today isn't really a good day for me to start, especially since it Mother' Day. This sounds very doable, and I'm looking forward to seeing the scale move again. I had gained a couple pounds this past week, but have already dropped that this weekend, so I'm ready to keep on losing :) ...no more gains for me :angry: ![/quote']

Are they're many dinner ideas in the book?

I would check with your doctor or nutrionist' date=' but if you know the right carbs to eat on the high carb days for a diabetic I wouldn't think it would be bad. You'd just have to be sure you're not making your blood sugar spike.

I'd check with your doc to be safe. :)[/quote']

I will ask my endocrinologist next time I see him. I bet he won't have a problem with this considering the bandster portion sizes. But I will ask before trying this out.

Are they're many dinner ideas in the book?

Yes there are some recipes. I haven't really got that far in the book yet, so I just skimmed through them.

Yes there are some recipes. I haven't really got that far in the book yet' date=' so I just skimmed through them.[/quote']

Thank you.

No shops had it in where I shopped yesterday in UK so have ordered online. Hope to have it here to start properly on Monday x

I was a low BMI bandster (BMI 32.5 before surgery) and I lost 14 lbs at my 4 week post-op appointment. I was so motivated and thrilled. Now I am 3 weeks later and only down 1 more lb. I have been exercising like crazy (30-40 mins of elliptical trainer or walk/jog combos plus just started two days of weight training) and really watching my eating. No Snacks unless I am starving and then it's just a small snack (cheese, yogurt, etc). Breakfast is always either meat or Greek yogurt, lunch is usually some Protein (chicken, tuna, etc) with veggies or a small starch (a few crackers) and dinner is similar. I have been snacking sometimes after 7 pm though.

I am going to ask my dietician about carb cycling. My team (surgeon, nurse, dietician, etc) recommends a lower carb diet, but I am struggling with the weight loss now, I need a kick start! I am on a serious plateau and I feel like I have made so many good changes with little weight loss. With some simple tweeks, the low carb days would be similar to my eating now so I would just need to add in some fruits, whole grains, etc on high carb days. I would definitely need to cut out the eating after 6 pm, although for me it might have to be 7 pm.

I looked up about this, and I don't see how this would be effective for me... On low carb days it tells me to eat 117.6 to me that is very high... there is no way that my body would go in any type of ketosis with this level. When I stay under 60 carbs a day I will go into ketosis which then uses fat to fuel the body. And what they are telling me to eat in Protein is crazy 235.2? I struggle getting in the 60 a day the dr want's me to get in.. lol... And 98 grams of fat...???? this is what I am suppose to consume on low carb days...

I looked up about this' date=' and I don't see how this would be effective for me... On low carb days it tells me to eat 117.6 to me that is very high... there is no way that my body would go in any type of ketosis with this level. When I stay under 60 carbs a day I will go into ketosis which then uses fat to fuel the body. And what they are telling me to eat in Protein is crazy 235.2? I struggle getting in the 60 a day the dr want's me to get in.. lol... And 98 grams of fat...???? this is what I am suppose to consume on low carb days...[/quote']

It certainly isn't aimed at Bandsters i grant you lol

but I think the general idea of high carb low fat, and low carb high fat could be used. I just got the book and haven't had time today to sit and study but the concept of keeping the fire fuelled seems to make sense and keeping the metabolism ticking along. I'm going to try the theory of it just not in the large amounts he states

I'll keep you posted if any loss/gain as I'm at a bit if a plateau.

Xx

I looked up about this' date=' and I don't see how this would be effective for me... On low carb days it tells me to eat 117.6 to me that is very high... there is no way that my body would go in any type of ketosis with this level. When I stay under 60 carbs a day I will go into ketosis which then uses fat to fuel the body. And what they are telling me to eat in Protein is crazy 235.2? I struggle getting in the 60 a day the dr want's me to get in.. lol... And 98 grams of fat...???? this is what I am suppose to consume on low carb days...[/quote']

You have to set the levels based on the band. Somewhere on this thread I posted a link that shows amounts. On low carb days, I try to stay under 30g per day.

Btw, just fyi, you don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight. I've lost over 200 pounds without being in ketosis and eating lots of healthy carbs.