Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Cycling- An Experiment Gone Right!

I just came upon this thread because of the recent posting activity. Missy, are you still carb cycling and do you still find it effective?

I only carb cycle when I hit a plateau as a way to kick start my metabolism when it stalls out. I haven't carb cycled since January but if I hit another plateau I definitely will again. For me, it's very effective.

Carb cycling this week!

Anyone else?

when you count carbs on low carb days, do you use net carb counts? where you subtract the dietary Fiber from total carb count like the way Atkins do it?

Is a vodka and orange gonna work for the high carb days?? This sounds like a plan!

Thanks for sharing. I just bought it off e-bay for 10.99, not bad. I have not been banded yet that happens May 28th so I am going to keep this book around and try it when I hit a plateau. Really grateful you posted about it.

sorry I so posted in the wrong post

Ok this was the right place. My internet went down in the middle of me typing then I lost my way when I got back. I'm so done :)

As many of you know' date=' I was stuck for more than a month. I was monitoring my calories, getting in all my Protein and exercising, yet the scale didn't budge. I know, plateaus are normal, but they still suck. Around the time the plateau hit I also started taking birth control pills. I even gained 2 pounds, which for me was the deal breaker. I had to find a way to break the plateau and start losing again.

So I started researching. Low carb, high carb, no carb, etc. I see so many variations on here! What's right? What's wrong? I already knew it was a matter of choice without a clear right or wrong answer, but I also knew individual body needs also played a very big part in it. During my research I kept coming across something called carb cycling, so I decided to look more into it.

Carb cycling is essentially trying to optimize your metabolism by alternating high and low carb days. Body builders often do this to build muscle and burn fat before a contest but it's also very helpful for weight loss. Then one day I turned on Doctor Oz...and wouldn't you know it... it was an episode on carb cycling. Chris Powell, of The Biggest Loser, was on his show talking about he has all the contestants on the show carb cycle and how he does it. For me, this was the point I decided to give carb cycling a try.

Chris Powell's method is specifically for weight loss so I decided to go with his (there's many out there). He has an excellent book called “Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution”.

His theory: No carb diets don't work. It's not sustainable long term and eventually it significantly slows the metabolism. Worse, people who cut out carbs usually end up gaining all their weight back and then some when they do suddenly reintroduce carbs. Carbs are the energy block of the body and a long term lack of carbs will cause the thyroid to slow down significantly.

7 day diet/carb cycling: High carb day followed by low carb day, alternating daily. Start on a high carb day and always eat within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Always limit or omit carbs after 6pm.

All this is within your own personal daily calorie allowance.

High carb day/energy day:

[*']Preferably complex carbs. Protein, low fat. unlimited veggies.

Low carb day/burn day:

[*]A little carb in the morning to boost metabolism

[*]Cut carbs the rest of the day.

[*]Protien, healthy fats, unlimited veggies

3 of each/low carb and high carb. 7th day is cheat day

Cheat day:

[*]Boost calories to boost metabolism

[*]Boost to no more than 1000 extra calories a day

[*]Cheat at Breakfast and lunch, not dinner. 6-12pm “behave”

[*]Cheat at a table. Not in a car, or at a sofa, etc. No “hypno binging”

[*]No leftovers allowed.

Mind you, this is the short version of all this. If this interests you, I'd strongly suggest buying his book for a better understanding. It's very enlightening.

...So this is what I've done for the last week. I am very happy to say, carb cycling broke my plateau, despite still being on the birth control pill too. I lost 5.4 pounds this week!

I have decided I am going to continue to carb cycle. I am not a fan of the low carb days, but I am getting more used to them. Plus, I find my "carb cravings" have all but disappeared since starting this- something I didn't think possible.

For me, it's working. I just thought I'd share the results of my little self experiment :)

Thank you! The carb cycle sounds like a plan! I was recently at a travel agent's convention in Las Vegas and one of the speakers was a former contestant on the biggest loser. He was promoting the three biggest loser ranches in the United States. He mentioned carb cycling and also mentioned that while you're at the ranch you're assigned a personal trainer during the length of your stay. He was trying to get us travel agents to promote the ranch as a health retreat vacation. Sounded intense but they do the carb cycle on the ranch.

This sounds just what I need to break my plateau. Thanks for sharing this. You e done amazing x

Thanks for the information. My typical diet is very Protein intensive an veggies - my problem is Portion Control (which the band should help) my addiction to homemade sweets. The sweets will be removed all together. I've learned that carb strict diets just don't work! This sounds like the perfect alternative. I can't wait to get the book!

I haven't managed to download the book yet but going on your guide today will be my high card day and u have started it with

50g of scots Oats with 200ml of almond milk.

Can I ask is it no carbs at all at dinner ?

I haven't managed to download the book yet but going on your guide today will be my high card day and u have started it with

50g of scots Oats with 200ml of almond milk.

Can I ask is it no carbs at all at dinner ?

You can for dinner, especially on high carb days

Thank you for your help. Yes I watched the Dr Oz clip x. It's hard getting it all in but I'm trying x I can't believe that I done it yesterday and have lost over 1lb this morning. Think I'm still a bit shocked that I could eat that much and lose weight!

This is what I managed

post-346582-1381314162908_thumb.jpg

How does that look to you. Any advice welcome xxx

I'm going to buy the book on Monday xx