Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started My Liquid Diet Today

[not so much a question as a vent]

I started my pre-surgery liquid diet today. While taking my daughter to school, I realized just how big of a change this is going to be to my way of thinking.

Every other billboard it seems was for fast food. Their marketing dollars were well spent, because as I saw them, I instinctively thought, "Ooh, a <insert name of burger, sandwich, chicken, etc.> sure would be good for lunch." And then I remembered I'm on liquids. And then I realized I need to be aware of these marketing messages and my conditioned responses. Only then am I going to be able to overcome the conditioning.

Why is it that when we are sick or can't eat, the only thing on TV is food commercials?! food is everywhere - EVERY where. Temptation is always there if you let it be.

I do the reverse-psychology thing. I tell myself that the Quarter Pounder with cheese is disgusting. Think of all of the empty calories it has and how bad it is for me. So gross, how could anyone eat that? After a few days of thinking that way, the food didn't look so appealing.

Good luck to you on your pre-surgery diet. It's very important and a great way to get yourself prepped for the post-op diet. Hang in there!

my post op instructions actually say to avoid tv,as there are so many food commercials!!

I started my Pre-Op diet today also.

I honestly don't think I am going to make it. I am so hungry. I will kill someone for a cheeseburger right now.

I really don't think my mind is in the right place. The only things I looked forward to were eating and sleeping; they were the only times I stopped thinking about how miserable I am.

I honestly don't think I am going to make it. I am so hungry. I will kill someone for a cheeseburger right now.

I really don't think my mind is in the right place. The only things I looked forward to were eating and sleeping; they were the only times I stopped thinking about how miserable I am.

Please hang in there. We all have been there before and trust me it is not easy at all!! My diet only got better on day 5 things seemed to mellow in a way. Just keep reminding yourself you are getting your nutrition and are not starving!!

if i can do it,anybody can!! if u load up on high Protein Shakes, trust me,you wont be hungry.

most of it is just head hunger,your body is not actually hungry.

what helped me: low sodium chicken or beef broth....if u buy the big can,heat it in a pot and pour into a mug....it makes about 3 mugs,and it fills you up!!

hang in there!!!!! it will be so worth it in the end!!!!

Just curious, how many shakes are you using a day? How many did other people use? I was told 3 a day and that is it, plus 64 oz Water minimum.

Just curious' date=' how many shakes are you using a day? How many did other people use? I was told 3 a day and that is it, plus 64 oz Water minimum.[/quote']

My doctor has me on a shake for Breakfast an lunch and a meal for dinner (4oz meat, as much vegetables as i want and 1 cup of fruit) (no bananas though). The first few days i was good, now I'm finding that replacing the meal with a can of Soup or Protein Shake and I'm full.

I am scheduled for my band on Friday @ 7am :)

I started the pre-op on Monday but still need info on what to eat. Doing Protein Shakes for two meals and the other is a food. I am going to be start thsoup today though.

if you dont change that mind set, you wont make it.

that being said, when i started my 2 week pre op liquids, i thought there is no way in hell i can do that. none. look at me, i didnt get this big by eating a carrot. i owned stock in mcdonalds and dorito's.....

so as my hub said to me, woman up.....buck up....you wanted this...so follow the dr's orders and get it done.

you can do this. the first 4 days were my hardest and then honestly it wasnt so bad. for realz. you can do this. its a mind game.

if you want it, you can do it.

I started the pre-op on Monday but still need info on what to eat. Doing Protein shakes for two meals and the other is a food. I am going to be start thsoup today though.

didnt your doctor give you (instructions) on what to eat or not eat or drink? if you do not know for sure, call the dr and ask what is okay for your specific diet.

[not so much a question as a vent]

I started my pre-surgery liquid diet today. While taking my daughter to school, I realized just how big of a change this is going to be to my way of thinking.

Every other billboard it seems was for fast food. Their marketing dollars were well spent, because as I saw them, I instinctively thought, "Ooh, a <insert name of burger, sandwich, chicken, etc.> sure would be good for lunch." And then I remembered I'm on liquids. And then I realized I need to be aware of these marketing messages and my conditioned responses. Only then am I going to be able to overcome the conditioning.

I had the same feelings the first few days of my pre op diet. I was totally miserable , mourning the loss of my best friend (food). Then I realized I was not losing a best friend just changing our relationship.

I am on day 7 now (half way there) and I feel much better.

Just wanted to update and say that I made it and haven't caved yet. I'm having a huge problem with most Protein shakes because of the thickness. They remind me of a medicine I hated as a child and even if I like the flavor, they make me gag.

I have found that chewing sugar-free gum really helps! My body just wants to chew, I suppose.

try ready made special k or slim fast shakes, they dont have as much protein..the slim fast powder that you add Water to has more protein.....what i did was,in the morning,i would make a slim fast shake with water and ice(took 5 minutes),then at about 10am,i had either an eas ready made shake(17 grams of protein),or an Atkins advantage shake(very good)...then at 12:30, a special k or a slim fast ready made shake(the cappichino is great)....then dinner was 2 cups of lettuce,tomato and cucumbers with 2 tbsp of fat free ital dressing....also...sipping ice water throughout the day helps a lot!!!