Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long Term Expectations

how is everyone doing now? I personally cannot eat sooo many foods! No ground meats, no Beans, no celery, no roasted meats either! I am officially known in my family as the Soup nazi! Lately, no yogurts either. I have not had a fill for 9 months. My previous fill of .6 cc was removed., then had another fill 4 months after removal. That was 9 months ago. I seem to be able to eat a lot of bad things tho. As popcorn, mashed potatoes and cookies! I am within 12 pounds of my goal weight but no weight loss for one year. If I try to eat meat it gets stuck. Always. I know for health reasons weight loss is good. But....was this a good decision? Will it always be like this? I feel bad now!!

If you aren't able to eat solid Protein you may be too tight. Do you have a nutritionist you can talk to? Can you go in and see your dr?

I will check with the fill crew in a couple of weeks but this has been the way for me from the get go! Only one unfill but I have actually never seen my surgeon since I left the hospital 2.5 years ago! I guess that's the way they do things here in northern Minnesota! It's just that I am really afraid that this is it!

I will check with the fill crew in a couple of weeks but this has been the way for me from the get go! Only one unfill but I have actually never seen my surgeon since I left the hospital 2.5 years ago! I guess that's the way they do things here in northern Minnesota! It's just that I am really afraid that this is it!

That's awful that your surgeon never saw you again! Honestly, I'd demand an appointment with him not the fill people, then I'd be demanding a barium swallow just to verify the band is in the right spot.

Best wishes to you.

That really is their policy that a PA does the fills and followups. Since I was never impressed with him, I didn't ask to see him. I did have a barium swallow and all checked out. I am certainly willing to take some blame here tho. Maybe I just still eat too quickly and too large of pieces. It's easier for me to eat soft food and liquids. Maybe I can get encouraged enough here to take a little longer to eat. Maybe I can get to a point of healthier eating then. Thank you to all of you taking the time to reply. It makes a difference on this journey.

You should see your doc and allow them to help. Eating the bad foods will catch up with you. Best wishes :)

Definitely nip this in the butt before weight creeps back up on you. If you are able to get other foods down, it does sound like you are either too tight or you are not eating small enough pieces and chewing the heck out of them (as you eluded to). My dietician and doctor say to chew everything 25 times. By eating softer foods you are not getting the proper Protein and not utilizing the band as it was intended. Soft foods will not keep you satiated for the 3-4 hours as solid Protein will. My dietician told me no more soft foods or I will be hungry all the time. Really try to chew, chew, chew, chew ... oh and CHEW your food. They also recommended using an olive fork or pickle fork as I shouldn't be eating more than what would fit on one of those little things in one bite.

Good luck to you and to getting back on track.

Thanks! I actually sat and made an effort through dinner tonight to eat meat and chew it slowly. Small bites only, and I managed to get 2 pork rib lets down without any sticking! I am glad I found some good advice. It's hard when it's been so long since the banding!

Thanks! I actually sat and made an effort through dinner tonight to eat meat and chew it slowly. Small bites only' date=' and I managed to get 2 pork rib lets down without any sticking! I am glad I found some good advice. It's hard when it's been so long since the banding![/quote']

I know what you mean! I was banded in July 2010 and its really hard to remember all the rules to follow. About two months ago I saw a thread about the book "Bandwagon" by Jean McMillan and ordered it. Read it cover to cover and finally figured out that I was doing my band wrong....I was using a lot of supplements and Meal Replacements instead of eating "real"food. I also starting recording everything-honesty journaling using My Fitness Pal app. Even if I don't want to record it, I do. I am down almost eight pounds in two months. Chew, eat slowly and enjoy your meal....

I will definitely check the book out. Thanks! It s good not to be alone!

I went to the U of M and had the coolest doc ever. I see him each visit. That being said, if you like your PA. and trust what she says, go with it!

I think eating slowly has been the hardest thing for me. I don't mind chewing forever but, I still eat quickly way to often.

I love this forum and it has helped me remember why I had this surgery in the 1st place!

Keep posting and reading, so much to learn and lose with!

I will definitely check the book out. Thanks! It s good not to be alone!

You are definitely not alone in this! I only wish that I had stayed on here during a particularly difficult eight month period....

Oh we'll, it's another day and no where to go but up (in compliance, not weight tee-hee!)

I was banded January 2010 and haven't lost any weight in over a year and I am still 40 lbs from my goal. I am having a lot of eating issues, i.e. can't even keep liquids down sometimes. Had everything removed from my band 3 months ago and it didn't help. I go to a gastroenterologist tomorrow to find out if there is something else wrong because the surgeon said it isn't the band. I know that part of the problem is I can't get in enough Protein but I sure do try...it just doesn't always stay down. Anyone else having this problem?

My esophagus was "rejecting" the band so I had it removed Monday November 25, 2013. I am already eating and feeling so much better, yet I have lost a few pounds this week. I am going to remain focused on weight loss but without burping and vomiting all the time. Even Water would sometimes not go down. I will still work out and focus on Protein and hopefully continue my journey. I can't believe how much better I feel, even with six holes in my belly!