Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decision Between Weight Loss Surgeries??

Hi!

I'm looking into weight loss surgery. I thought I was set on Lap Band surgery, but just recently started looking into the Sleeve Gastrectomy. How did you decide upon the lap band? What are the pros and cons of each? Also, I would like to get pregnant within the next few years.... would one surgery be better than the other?

Any help you can give me would be great! :)

Thanks!

I chose the band because I wasn't willing to have my intestines rerouted or a big chunk of my stomach removed without trying something less drastic first. I figured if I tried the band and it didn't work for some reason, then I'd consider the Sleeve, but there was no way I was about permanently disfigure my otherwise healthy organs without trying the band first.

For me, the band has been a life saver. I absolutely love my band and have zero regrets.

Do your homework and research both. While you'll get a lot of opinions here, you need to research the actual facts of each surgery. We're nice people with a lot of opinions but the sad truth is, this is a forum, and you have no way of knowing if the advice you're getting is actually true and factual or not. It's crucial you do your homework.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Thanks! I'm trying to do some research, but it's nice to hear from ppl who've "been there"... :)

I love my lap Band, Surgery date was November 15, 2010 and never looked back; I was a size 28, now a size 16. I picked the lap band for a quick recovery and I also didnt want any part of me cut, or removed, I was 57 years old and want to live life and watch it go by and let me tell you life is good.

If I were starting over, I think I would choose the gastric sleeve. It has a quicker weight loss than the band, but without the malabsortive issues of bypass and it has less followup requirements than the band. But let me tell you my history and you decide what is best for you.

I just got my second band put in 7 days ago (the first had a leak and my insurance, after much discussion, would only pay to replace what I had - a band) If I wanted to switch to a sleeve as recommended by my MD, I would have to self pay. That said, I understand that some insurance companies are beginning to pay for revision surgery on bands to sleeves or bypass, so check and see what your insurance company will cover down the road.

I feel great just a week after surgery and I feel restriction for the first time and I am determined to make this work. I had been successful with my first band by losing 80# before regaining 30# over the last year. I am determined to get a net weight loss of 100#. Check back in in six months and see if I have made it yet. Attitude goes a long way!

For a person that was banded for three years and have had RNY (conversion from LapBand) for over a year now; I may can give you a perspective from someone that has had both surgeries.

For a year I loved my lapband. I honestly thought it was the best decision I had ever made. I'd lost about 60 pounds in the first six months and other than port revision (flipped right after surgery) I had zero issues. That changed for me after I was divorced. I lost my insurance, moved back to my hometown and lost my doctor. It took me months to find another doctor in the area, and the one I found was 100 miles away). By then I had to get an emergency unfill - I got to the point I couldn't eat or drink anything...and ended up gaining back all the 60 pounds I'd lost plus another 15 pounds. My new doctor ran an upper GI and discovered that my esophagus had quit working and my band had actually started growing into my stomach. Due to the damage and health risks we discussed removal and / or revision to another surgery. I had reflux prior to banding and the band aggrevated it and my band had to come out. I knew I had a food addiction and needed a tool to help me control it. I opted for RNY. I'm now down almost 80 pounds and am still slowly losing. It is not an easy fix...and for me has been much harder than the band. There are many more rules and life changes you have no choice but to follow. The recovery is truly hell on earth..and contrary to some beliefs there is follow-up that MUST be adhered to as well.

I can honestly tell you I wish my band had worked for me. My husband is also banded and has not had any issues. I am not anti-band nor am I judgemental of others for their decisions. This has not been an easy journey for me, but I have learned a lot about myself and forced to face my food demons (both banded and post RNY). Everyone truly is different. Some people are successful with the Band, others with the Sleeve and some still with RNY. Please do your research; listen to the good and the bad and make an educated decision. After all, it is your decision and your decision alone...I wish you the best...

Oh I also wanted to note that from my research I wouldn't recommend RNY for anyone who is planning on having children. It is harder to get the required nutrients that you need; neverless supporting another life. However, I did want to share my side of two different weight loss surgeries.

Just Fluffy, I love your "nickname"! Anyway, is RNY gastric bypass or gastric sleeve? Sorry, but I'm not too familiar with the lingo yet...

I'm starting to get the picture that this is a truly personal decision. If gastric sleeve is no good for those of us wanting to get pregnant, I guess my choice is made for me.

I wish there were an easy answer. I'm self-employed, and my insurance, unfortunately, won't pay for surgery. There seems to be a natural progression of surgeries (lap band to sleeve to gastric bypass), but I don't think I can afford a second surgery... so, I'm really trying to "get it right" the first time! :(

Thanks for everyone's advice!!!

Sorry, I've been in Weight Loss Surgery Lingo for too long :)...RNY is Roux-en-y and involves reducting the size of your stomache and rerouting to a shorter section of the intestines, in shour gastric bypass.

I wish there were an easy answer too...My advice it to find a good baratric surgeon and go to a couple seminars maybe even schedule an appointment. Then, go to another surgeon and get another opinion. Get on the boards, read all you can, and attend a local support group....don't be scared to ask questions and be ready to get your feelings hurt. The uneducated world truly can be cruel...please let me know if you have any questions as well as those on this site. It is a great place to start.

I chose band because my sister had the bypass... She has gained her weight back. Not saying that it wasn't successful but I knew my choice would be band. I'm a quantity eater and I felt the band would be best for me. No dumping syndrome on band. Plus I didn't like the idea of cutting inside.

I knew from the beginning that Lap band was the way for me, I have two co-workers who have the gastric done, and they tried to convince me that, that would be the way to go. When I see one of them in the bathroom all the time

(getting sick) because she ate something that she wasn't supposed to, I know that I made the right choice. I love me band, because I still have control and it's up to me to make good food choices as opposed to my body rejecting something that I really want but don't want to get sick. This person actually had it done twice a (revision) because she gain all of her weight back. My director actually had it done several years ago, and she has doubled her weight gain. I know with the Lapband you can gain as well, but if you feel that your are eating too much with this you can at least have a fill. It's been 3 months since my surgery I've lost 40 pounds without having a fill. Just know whatever you decide you have to be dedicated to it. Good luck.

I chose my band for two reasons

1) I want to get pregnant and I figure that the less my body is "rerouted/cut out" the better it will be for me (btw, every doctor will tell you something else, but this is something that I truly felt- it's just common sense after all)

2) I see my mom who had gastric bypass. Yes, she lost weight fast without trying (no working out etc) BUT, 8 years later she is anemic, ALWAYS TIRED, and eats very poorly. She lost the weight so quickly and uncontrollably that her skin sags everywhere (especially her arms, and her face became "droopy")

Yes the band can be scary- I get that- but the thought of gastric bypass scares me a LOT MORE

Anyway' date=' is RNY gastric bypass or gastric sleeve? [/quote']

Hi, I'd like to address this if I may.

The sleeve(VSG) couldn't be farther from a gasturic bypass(RNY).

First off the sleeve does not reroute your intestines, & there are no malabsorption issues with the sleeve. Also unlike RNY the portion of the stomach that is left is the non-elastic muscular section. It is nearly impossible to stretch a sleeve.

As far as future pregnancy, it is best to not get pregnant for 12-18months after being sleeved. This is to allow full healing & some relaxing of the stomach muscles. Also your stomach would have reached its full capacity by this point making it much easier to nourish both yourself & your child.