Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting To Have Doubts... Any Advice?

Ok this is going to sound ridiculous to many people but I have seriously started to doubt whether to go through with this surgery. I have poured over everyone's posts and stories on LBT for 8 months, reading everyone's stories and looking at before and after pics trying to convince myself that this was for me and that I should do it.

DON'T DOUBT YOURSELF! The mental portion of weight loss is by far the hardest thing anything can go through. Don't you get tired of hearing everyone else's weight loss story? Doesn't it make you wish that the story could be your own? I know I did and that's why I'm having Lao Band. Just keep your head up and keep your mind in the right place! Youll be ok!

What is the specific reason you have doubts?

I was still writing my post and I accidentally hit "send". (stupid touch screen) anyway, I keep reading people saying that it's a lot of hard work and will power and dedication and that you have to eat healthy foods and exercise and on and on. If I had the capability to do all these things I wouldn't be the size I am in the first place. It just makes me think. I am not saying that I'm not willing to make changes but I know myself. If we have the will power to only eat healthy foods and make lifestyle changes then why get the band? I know this sounds totally rediculous. :(

No no no I don't think it's ridiculous at all. And trust me I've had the thought as well before. You just have to realize the Band isn't gonna just make you lose the weight. Think about it this way the Band isn't the ONLY help your getting for your weight loss. You have the doctor that can help the nurses and support groups to answer any question you have. And you have this Lap Band Forum that has people just like you on it! It's not just getting skinny it's a whole weight loss experience. And trust me I wish I could lose weight on my own and eat healthy. But I love food so much it's shortening my life. It's all about seeking help when you need it. Don't get discouraged or doubt yourself. But don't not get the band and regret it years later :/

Thank you for listening. I got denied by Aetna once already because I gained 4 pounds over a 4 month period. So I had to start the process all over again. I'm frustrated already. I seem to want it more and more but I'm 1 month away from re-submitting to insurance and I'm getting scared. I guess I'm just afraid to go to such drastic measures to lose weight and the thought of screwing it up scares me. Your right I am tired of being the one reading about other peoples success and wishing it could be me. I want to BE a success story. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Previously when you tried to diet and eat healthy foods you probably gave up because you got hungry. The difference with the lapband is that it helps to control your hunger so it is easier to stick to eating properly. Besides this is not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. With diets you go on them for a time, lose weight and then stop - - this is designed to be permanent.

I have a question for you. How many of us do you think were successful at losing weight and keeping it off before we got the band? The correct answer is obviously zero. So do not think you are alone in not having been successful before.

I was still writing my post and I accidentally hit "send". (stupid touch screen) anyway, I keep reading people saying that it's a lot of hard work and will power and dedication and that you have to eat healthy foods and exercise and on and on. If I had the capability to do all these things I wouldn't be the size I am in the first place. It just makes me think. I am not saying that I'm not willing to make changes but I know myself. If we have the will power to only eat healthy foods and make lifestyle changes then why get the band? I know this sounds totally rediculous. :(

its not a issue with will power

this has to be your (want to power)

its simple....lets get past the scared stuff, the what if's......

you and me (and everyone on here with a band or other WLS) had problems

with over eating. we got heavy, fat (obese--me for one)

we decided to do something about it. get help.

the band is only a 3 in plastic thing they put around your stomach at the top.

thats it. it will make you feel full after small amounts (when the fills start)

but you have to decide what to eat. if you continue to eat junk/fat foods,

you already know what will happen. the dr will give you the do's and dont's

that is up to you to follow

dont be scared

leave the drama outside on the sidewalk where it belongs

get yourself well

you are the only one who can do this for you

i know you can if you (want) to.

:)

ps--you are never alone on this forum. we are here for you.

I made better food choices simply because I felt better and since I didnt eat as much anymore knew I needed to get good nutrition in. I personally do not find the band "hard" work. It is God send for me! However, I did change my life style completely and it was not that bad. We all mourn the loss of "food". I freaked out in the beginning as I think we all do but seeing healthy bloodwork come back after only 4 months I was totally committed to being healthy.

Interesting ..... I just got back from a 3 week vacation back home with our families and it became so aware of how I grew up with food as the focus in my life. Food was how you showed love . You baked a treat , Sunday dinners were a food affair something special for everyone. Not one pie but three ,two meats ,noodles , mashed potatoes .vegtables and salads loaded with mayo. Not to mention rolls and everything dripped butter. As I sat down to these meals it made me sick so much food , YUK!!! It just didn't want it ... it was overwhelming to look at . My sister was hustling around making this HUGE meal and all I wanted was to not hurt her feelings by my spoon of this and that . My sister and her husband were planning dinner while we were still eating Breakfast and thinking about where to go for a snack to tide us over. Breakfast was 3 egg omlettes sausage bacon and fried potatoes and pancakes. Good God I use to eat like that.

I remember how you were suppose to leave the table stuffed and groaning. Now I food is just something you do when you are hungry it is not an occasion . I still like the taste but it is not that important . It is not my focus, I have replaced it with other things , like visiting at the table with my family , enjoying the food I put in my mouth , I enjoy popping up and moving after a meal instead of waddling to a chair and groaning... Food is just not living there is so much more to life then what you are going to eat today, that use to be what I thought about now with my band it's the last thing I worry about. I love my band and the freedom it gives me to choose a healthy happy thin life. Do I miss all that food no I eat what I want but I control it, on special occassions I eat a little of those special things , but with t he bands help I just do not need or want to ever go back to the meals that were a part of my life. I love being HEALTHY and yes I like shopping for clothes in the misses dept.

I keep reading people saying that it's a lot of hard work and will power and dedication and that you have to eat healthy foods and exercise and on and on. If I had the capability to do all these things I wouldn't be the size I am in the first place. It just makes me think. I am not saying that I'm not willing to make changes but I know myself. If we have the will power to only eat healthy foods and make lifestyle changes then why get the band? I know this sounds totally rediculous. :(

I am saying this to be honest and I say it with all sincerity: It DOES take a lot of hard work. You DO have to eat healthy. In fact, you have to change your eating habits for lifetime not just temporarily for a diet. It will NOT give you will power, that has to come from inside you. The band can help you to feel satisfied with less food for longer periods of time, but it's not magic. It won't do the work or make the lifestyle changes for you.

I'm not saying this sway you from getting the surgery. I personally think the band is the greatest thing ever- I love mine. However, I'd rather you know the truth and make a good decision than to go into this rose colored glasses. You don't need to set yourself up for failure.

If you get the band and want to be successful, it most certainly is going to be hard work. If you think you can do that, wonderful. You'll do great. But be honest with yourself before being banded and if you honestly don't think you can, then don't do it.

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide :)

I am so very very grateful to all of you for your support. I needed this encouragement. My Mom went to heaven last year so it's hard to find people who will listen. She was overweight for years and developed cancer, she died at 56. I decided to do this so I can live longer and try to go down a different path. I am totally willing to make changes, I already feel like I should have done this a long time ago. Seeing so many success stories on here has got to say something about the band. I'm ready to be healthy. I love this forum, so much help and advice from people who understand this. Thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. ❤

Surgery in any form is scary.

You need to look at the lap band as a tool. It is not the easy way out by any means. I started out my journey at 342 pounds. I am now down to 279. That big number was a hell of a lot scarier than the thoughts of having surgery to help me correct it.

Having a support system, such as this website is a necessity to work through your issues and concerns. It makes you aware that things can happen, but it is also a place where EVERY SINGLE PERSON relates to your situation.

The lap band has its pros and cons, just as everything in life does. Just know that in the end, all of the pain and struggles you will endure, are so with it. You're worth it. There will be hurdles. You will overcome them. And when you hit your goal weight, nothing will bring you down. You at that point in time will know, how worth it your life changing decision really was!

Good luck!

I love this thread and all the advice given on it. I have gone back and forth with the decision myself (for 4 yrs) but ultimately I think I need the tool to help me keep the weight off.

If you haven't had the opportunity to attend a support group, I would encourage you to do so. Even though I am not banded yet, I think it's been helpful to be in a room full of real people that are living the banded lifestyle. It's not a magic fix, there will be struggles, but there will also be triumph if you follow the banded lifestyle. The one thing I keep hearing at group is that in spite of the occassional struggle, people love their bands... I hope to say the same thing soon.

I have succeeded in the past with weight watchers but wasn't able to keep it off for more than a few months. I will look into support groups, that's a good idea. What I've been thinking is that if I don't go through with it then I will be stuck in the same boat and will surely not see any results. What do I have to lose by trying? Except the weight! 8 months of preparation for this, we will be resubmitting to insurance for the second time. If it gets denied again then I guess I have no choice. but I will keep my fingers crossed. :)

I've lost weight a gazillion times, but it's better at hide and seek than I am. ;)

Mentally, I'm a different person this time around. I feel so blessed to have insurance paying for my surgery. I will not waste this amazing opportunity I've been given. Period.