Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

....my "tastes" have changed and I actually crave the better food choice because I know it makes me feel better

Well said. I too have experienced a change in taste and in cravings. Another lapband plus.

In my family I was about 10 or 11 years old when all of a sudden I was taken to a nutritionist and told of a new way to eat. I didn't know why. My mom never told me. She changed everything. The whole family had to change everything. I was deprived of things that I loved, I snuck food and never understood why. My parents are both fine in the weight category. My grandmother on the other hand has always been overweight and she had the nerve to tell me I was "fat" and "getting fat" all of the time, then she would feed me bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and toast for Breakfast every morning before school, even after having Cereal at home. We ate it because she would give us a guilt trip if we didn't. I was told that for many years. I didn't even know how skinny I really was until a couple of years ago when my mom gave us our pictures of growing up. I was so upset, I told her that I was skinny and I didn't understand. I thought I was so huge. :rofl: I was devastated. I had no clue. I became pregnant at the age of 17 and had my first child at 18. I taught myself how to cook and I went back to the way my mom cooked when we were growing up. We didn't have much money and I would cook casseroles, mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy, anything I couldn think of that tasted good. I ate what I wanted, not what they told me I had to eat. I became an emotional eater. I asked my mom why I had to go to the nutritionist and she told me that my cholesterol was high and she told me that the doctor wanted us to go and that she changed our eating habits for that reason. She was so distraught in her marriage and life in general at the time she didn't even realize that she never told me why.

One day my grandma was doing the same thing to my baby sister, about the same age I was when she started in on me. I flipped out on her and told her that she had no right to do that to her and told her that if she wanted her to end up like me then she was pretty messed up. I looked at her and said, "THANK YOU FOR THE SELF ESTEEM PROBLEMS AND THE WEIGHT!" I felt better and she has never done that to either of us again.

I am now 333 lbs. and I have lost 39 pounds in about a year. (I quit drinking Diet Coke) I realized that when I became pregnant with my second child I was about 100 lbs. lighter. I had gestational diabetes and started drinking Diet Coke instead of Coke and ended up with full blown diabetes after having her.

I am not such an emotional eater these days as an I have to have it until my tummy hurts eater. I know that is horrible, but I have a hard time with that. I will hopefully have a surgery date by next week and I do have to have a psych eval on Tuesday. I am not looking forward to it either. I know what they are going to ask me, because my surgery center has given me a list of the questions for my psychologist to ask me.

Well, that is my story. Thank you for listening :rofl:

Why do our parents have to mess us up so much? I mean, some kids have parents that never make them feel bad about themselves. That's how it should be. Some parents are so determined to make someone else miserable because they are for some reason or another, that they just project it onto their kids. It's just such a shame. It's part of the reason that I'm glad I'll be smaller when I have my first child. I don't want them to feel the negative effects of my own self-loathing (which happens to have started going away the past few weeks - my band... it's all about my band.)

I was sexually abused as a child. The last day that I remember being a child and being carefree and happy was age 8. Today... 24 years later, I remember the happy child I used to be and I'm getting back to that. You'll be that person again... the one before the parents ruined your outlook. It may take a while, but it's possible. I'm living proof.

Deb

I was also sexually abused as a child, I was also beaten by my father. I lived a life that was not so good. I have overcome a lot of that. I am more stable than all but one of my brothers and sisters. My baby sister is very responsible and has had a job since 17. :rofl:

My problem is the eating. That is where I became unstable. I am ready to overcome this problem, I know the lap band will be the right thing for me. :biggrin1:

Today, I crossed over the 70 BMI mark finally. I am 381 with a BMI of 69.7.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I can't wait to cross over the 60 BMI.

Well I'm staring with a B M I 0f 50 weight 330

Hopefuly if i get through this last hoop I'll be banded in Sept

I was 218 when I got married and my 25th anniversity is coming up Apirl 19 07

I'm going to bust my balls and everthing else i have to after banding to get as close as possible to 218

So when I finaly get banded I will post more and ask for all help in my Quest

Joyce! That is FABULOUS news! Congratulations on reaching the 60's. You'll be in the 50s before you know it.

I make my goals based on BMI too. My first goal was 337 (BMI 59) and my current goal is 274 (BMI 49). May seem random to some people, but it's very significant to me.

Hugs to you,

Hello ya'll---hope everyone is doing okay in this heat wave!!

i think i have been living in wet clothes for the last few weeks until midnight every night when it seems to cool off. :biggrin1:

i am scheduled for my first fill on august 11th, looking forward to it, but with a little apprehension just the same.

JOYCE--i started at a BMI of 65, so i understand what you mean--i think everyone on this thread would like to see a healthier BMI--slowly, but surely this will happen for us all... :clap2:

I had my band placed 3 weeks ago and for the past 2 weeks I have gained 6 pounds. I am watching my calories, but I have been able to eat far more then I should. I screwed up and ate an entire can of Beans for lunch yesterday, 15 ounces. My doctor doesn't want to see me to fill me for another 3 months. I am worried about gaining weight and starving. The bad thing is I wasn't even stuffed after eating 15 ounces. I have been eating more ounces then I should, but my calories have been low. Why am I gaining weight? Shouldn't I need to be filled before 3.5 months post op? I have been exercising as well. Has this happened to anyone else? When did you get filled? How much could you eat before being filled for the 1st time?

Went through all of this to lose weight, not starve and gain weight.

Thanks for the help,

Cheryl in Texas

325/305/180

:help: