Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Don't be discouraged. You'll find a surgeon that will work. Besides you add in the pre-op diet and you'll practically be at 400 I bet. Don't give up!!;)

For the past twenty years, it's always been in my head that as long as I don't weight over this or that weight or as long as I can still weigh this or that size.

I know exactly what you mean, LadyTonya. And in this last gain, when I thought I was getting close to the number I said I'd never let myself pass, I just quit weighing. Obviously not an effective strategy, but now I have the band, and you will too! I'm so excited about your appointment and can't wait to hear how it goes. Can you call ahead to make sure they don't have a weight limit -- just so you know you're with the right group for you?

I know exactly what you mean! I have avoided scales like the plague for years now. Of course, finding a scale that will weigh me is a challenge so it wasn't hard to avoid them. The appointment I have is with a doctor that will operate on everyone. He supports the lap band and sounds great! Unfortunately, my appointment isn't until September 14. I'm counting down the days.... After I get all my info to them, I'm going to see if I can't get something faster or at least get on a cancellation list. Of course, my bet would be that he doesn't get many cancellations. At least I have a date for an appointment now! Thank God!

Tonya

Tonya, I'm so happy for you! You sound really motivated and I know you'll find a wonderful doctor and have a successful surgery. Even though Sept. sounds really far away it will be here sooner than you think...it's almost August already so you're that much closer!! Take this time along with the motivation you feel to start "practicing" bandster life...because I think you'll be one pretty soon! Best of luck to you!

Wow! 84 lbs. since February, that's awesome! You go!

I'm starting to try to eat better. I have cut back on the sodas. I will gradually phase them out, but I can't quit cold turkey or I get horrible headaches. I am also not eating out as much, especially for lunch. I have been bringing my lunch every day and eating what I bring, which for me is a victory! Baby steps until I am banded, then it'll be on!

Thought I would join your thread. I'm still a little over 50 on the bmi... actually as of this morning I'm at 52.9. I started out at 65.4. Ghastly.

I had my surgery April 24, 2006. I am down 48lbs. I weighed 356 the day of surgery. 308 today and hopefully less next Monday (which will be 14 weeks.) My surgeon was very pleased with my progress at my second fill last Tuesday. I was just as pleased that he was pleased. I'm feeling good.

I had/have very few medical problems. I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian sydnrome) which being fat is a symptom of. I'm trying to relieve the symptoms of that, as so far I have been unable to have a baby. But, for the most part, this weight loss is all about me and I feel wonderful so far - so I know it can only get better!

Here's a link to my profile on OH if anyone is interested in pictures of me. I have two more pounds before taking another picture... but it will be updated again after those two have bit the dust!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/profile.php?N=P1140485974

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Debbie

Debbie,

I'm glad you've found us! Your stats are very close to mine. If you haven't seen it yet, check out the April 2006 groups as well. We have a chat thread as well as a number of lbs lost thread.

I enjoyed your blog. Your husband is precious! I loved your list of things you want to do on your own again once you've been banded a little bit longer. I've recently started being able to paint my toenails without having to hold by breath on certain toes. Also, I flew without a seatbelt extender for the first time in forever last weekend. Exciting stuff.

Take care,

TY for the warm welcome.

Speaking of planes. I flew to Maine a few weekends ago and was enormously proud of fitting in to the seatbelts!!! Until I was on the way home and on a smaller plane. Smaller plane - smaller seatbelts apparently. I cried half of the flight home because I felt like poop. My hopes had been dashed that I'd actually accomplished something else on my list. But, such is life. At least this plane ride the flight attendant didn't make me feel like a freak show. I flew down to Florida in March to visit the family and needed an extender and the flight attendant was all loud and obnoxious and "you can't have an extender if you are sitting in the emergency exit, you'll just have to move," then to everyone else behind me, "would anyone be willing to switch seats with this lady so she can have an extender?" Someone was kind and moved and then I cried on that plane trip down. Took that extender with me when I got off the plane, so I wouldn't have to face that on the way back too.

I did that on this last trip for the connecting flights. I wasn't about to have to ask twice.

Someday, I wont have to ask. :confused:

Deb

Hi Everyone!!! I Am So Glad To Know That There Are So Many People Out There Just Like Me. I Have Been Pondering For The Last Couple Of Months.i Felt Because Of My Size(380lbs. 5'7) That I Needed Rny Rather Than Lap Banding.since Reading A Lot Of Posts On This Site I See People My Size Or Larger That Have Been Banded And Our Doing Wonderful.this Make Me Feel That I Can Be Banded And Be Just As Succeccful As They Are. Thanks For All The Great Advice And Support!!!!!!!! Lol

I cried half of the flight home because I felt like poop.

Deb

That really sucks. You didn't deserve that treatment and you are definately not poop!!! That story really makes me mad :angry .

Hi Smeeper, I fly all the time. I can buckle my seatbelt everywhere except first class seating. Go figure! You'd think they'd be roomier.

Kimber, glad you found the thread. You're within 2# of my starting weight, though I'm a bit taller than you. I too questioned whether or not I'd be able to lose this much weight with a lapband but so far so good, and now I'm almost halfway there! (OMG! I'm almost halfway there!!)

Some people would argue that the lap band is better for people with larger BMIs. With RNY, you lose all the weight you're going to lose within the first year. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to lose over 200 pounds in 1 year. I wouldn't think that would be very healthy. Now spreading it out over several years, the weight loss continues and a steady pace. I'm currently at 442 with a BMI of ~65. My "ideal weight" according to the charts is 156. That would be almost 300 pounds in 1 year. Ain't gonna happen! Of course, some people get the RNY and it works for them. I personally know 1 person who has had the RNY and she wishes she would have gotten a lap band instead. Different strokes for different folks.

Of course, there is also the having the RNY and gaining it back... I realize this is a possibility with the lap band, but adjustments can be made with the lap band.

It is still my contention that this banding was the absolute best thing I've ever done for me. I feel wonderful (even if the flight attendents don't get sensitivity training.) :tea:

I think everyone is doing great. Personally, losing 48lbs in less than a year has been a big change for me. Losing 48lbs in less than 4 months is an even bigger change for me. That has made all the difference.

Everyone should be proud of the successes they've accomplished so far - SV and NSV! :bowl:

Deb

I flew down to Florida in March to visit the family and needed an extender and the flight attendant was all loud and obnoxious and "you can't have an extender if you are sitting in the emergency exit, you'll just have to move,"

I'm so sorry you were treated so poorly. The flight attendant will get what is coming to her in another way, I'm sure. I'm flying on a small plane this weekend, so I'll be sure to take my extender. Thank you for the warning. I think older planes have smaller belts too. The belt fits on a 777 every time, even at my heaviest, but not on a 1980's 747. Boeing/Airbus must know that people are getting bigger.

I agree you are doing great :tea: and yes it is a big change. I wish I could be as good in my choices and maybe i'd be at -48 instead of -39 but se la vie (sp?) it is still major. I have never lost that much on any one diet ever. I would lose 30 then gaing 35 or 40. I too have PCOS and would love for my weight loss to have a bonus reward at the end of a baby.