Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

I hate to break a lot of bubbles, but mean & cruel people do not always get what's coming to them. And people that hope that they do many times only make their own lives more miserable by that hope, which in itself is just as bad a thought as the mean & cruel person had....Try it. You may not like it at first, but it may grow on you.

I'm with you in your point that we can make ourselves more miserable by hoping bad things for others, Tired Old Man, but I have to share my opinion that "turning the other cheek" does not always serve me (or the person who has wronged me) best. For me, and probably for many people, if I don't stand up for myself, I feel worse about myself. So, if someone attacks me, I will not absorb the attack without letting that person know the consequences of their actions. I do not wish them misery, but I respect myself more if I let them know their actions have effects.

I guess there are two ways to skin a cat and everyone has to decide for themselves what they can best live with.

Everyone has their own beliefs, everything teaches something different, and we can leave it at that. :)

307.2 today. At just under 3.5 months post-op that's 75 lbs down, and only 7.3 lbs away from Twoterville! And I need to do some MAJOR clothes dumping, I'm starting to really undergrow (that's the opposite of outgrow, right? Ingrow? Ungrow?) things.

Thats great Wheetsin:high5: !! How many fills have you had, if any. I don't think I'm going to do that good so quick, my hunger has returned with a vengence, and I'm not even on regular food yet. How was it for you, the last 3.5 months? Love to hear your journey thus far.

It's not as impressive as it sounds. Within my first week post-op I lost about 30 lbs, so figure at least 60 - 70% of that being initial Water weight.

I've had two fills, 1cc each, in a 10cm band so I'm roughly 50% filled.

It was "easy" for me in a sense, because my appetite never returned so I never had gain or even maintenance shortly after surgery, I was able to eat decreased portions the entire time.

And keep in mind those numbers are per home scale, not per surgeon's. For all I know his shows I've lost 25 lbs. His certainly weighed me a lot heavier than any other scale on the face of the planet! :)

Wheetsin....have always been impressed w/ how well you are doing and your wisdom!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

What does it take to be "super-sized"....I think I was there.....My memory is sketchy for things that don't appeal to me....so think my BMI was 46. I started at 335lbs at 5'10". I am down to 283lbs now!!! So have hit "twoterville" as I've seen it called!!

Wheetsin....would love to catch up with you!!! :)

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -52lb:)

wooo hoooo Whestin!!! way to go!!!!! yes, yes I am jealous.... My hubby said I look like I have lost wieght.. I go to the doc tomarrow to see....Holy hell I would never have a scale at home!!!! LMAO

hey meow, your smart not to have a scale at home. Mine is an obession!!

wheetsin, you really are doing awesome, and I have listened to your wisdom on many occasions. thank you.

Wheetsin-

Girl you are doing AWESOME! Keep up the good work.....Looks like I have some competition in being Dr. Hoehn's 'poster child'......hahaha!! What's life without a little healthy competition eh? :)

:kiss2: :kiss2: Robyn

Robyn, I'm just looking at your numbers. You've lost over 100 lbs since last August? Wow, Speak!....what are you eating?, how many fills to get it right?, excersizing? ...etc...I wanna know:) !

Robyn, I'd have to bow to you any day! worship.gif

Besides, for all I know Dr. Hoehn's scale will show that I've lost like 9 lbs. :confused:

Going to see you next Thu?

My opinion (and I imagine many will disagree with me) is that a person should use only one scale and weigh themselves at the same time of day and in the same state of dress each time they weigh themselves.

My weight can fluctuate as much as 4 or five pounds during the day. Each pint (or 500ml or 1/2 litre) bottle of Water that you drink weighs over a pound. If you drink 3 bottles of Water before going to the bathroom, you have added 3 pounds to your scale reading. A cup of coffee weighs about 1/2 pound. Having Breakfast with 2 cups of coffee (decaf or regular) can add 2 pounds to your scale reading.

The doctors have this technique of subtracting 3 pounds from your weigh scale reading. I debated with the nurse and then emptied my pockets. I lowered my weight by 4 pounds and still had on my pants and shoes. I have a top of the line electronic scale. I brought it to my doctor's office and proved that it was within a pound of my doctor's scale. From then on, my doctor accepted my weight verbally.

I have repeatedly compared my scale readings the way I walk the street and the way I normally weigh myself; with just underpants and undershirt on. There was a 7 to 8 pounds difference depending on my street garb.

I weigh myself every morning as I leave the bathroom after taking care of my morning obligations (who said that I couldn't be tactful?). It is then marked into my computer on a spreadsheet. If I go away for a few days, I fill in the blanks with a proportional change everyday. Example: I go on a week long vacation and come back 7 pounds heavier. I add one pound per day in the missing cells. That is only an example (I would hope).

Wheetsin-Yep I'll be there on Thursday for my needed little 'refocus session' :biggrin1: . I'll bet your looking skinny girl....I can't wait to see you!

CLOE- I've had many people ask me what I have done. Nothing special really.....other than I definitely made the most of my time EARLY on before I ever had restriction. I wasn't one of those that didn't lose weight until I was restricted...I played it very safe and tried extremely hard to stick to the bandster rules BEFORE I was at my sweet spot. The nice thing about how that worked for me is that my Dr. was filling me all along early, then when I lost my willpower for sticking to the rules (like I knew I eventually would), my band was finally there to back me up and not let me binge and fall off the wagon completely. It took me about 3 months and 6 fills (total of 8 cc in a VG band) to get my restriction.

Honestly, during the past 10 months, I had a stent of about 2 weeks where I excercised religeously....but it hurt my knees too much. I just started exercising again last week for the first time. Although I have to say that since I am a nurse, I get LOTS of walking being on my feet for 12 hours a day 3 days a week. Also, I weigh every day to keep me accountable. (Recently, I gained 12 pounds partly I believe because I stayed off the scales because I guess in my mind I didn't have to face the reality that I was once again gaining the weight). The weight loss has slowed dramatically for me over the past couple of months. For me the majority came off in the first 6 months, but I guess that is to be expected, as I don't need as many calories anymore.

Without going into the details, I have had 3 surgeries since August for my port, (which I'm going back to my doc today as my second port that was put in 4 weeks ago is again infected:think ). Right before my last surgery to get my second port put in, I started letting bad habits sneak back in. Partly because I was puking 5-6 times a day because my band was too tight...so cheetos were one of the only things I could keep down, and because I was depressed that I couldn't eat right. Those eating habits actually caused me to gain 12 pounds. I am back on track for now though....Went back to my pre-op psychologist, I go to our docs support groups every month, I am starting to exercise, and back to the bandster rules. I have rid my cabinets of all the bad carbs for now.

So for now, that's all I know. No special formula. Good days and bad days like everyone else. I have fallen off the bandwagon, and hopefully am now back on. As my psychologist said last week..."RELAPSE IS PART OF RECOVERY." Those were profound words for me. None of us are perfect, and we have to allow ourselves that and just keep plugging away as best we know how. My docs keep telling me 'it is not a race'. And while I understand what they are saying...it is hard for me to look at it that way. So, CLOE, to answer your question...I owe a lot to just following the rules as best I knew how, as well as having a wonderful surgeon who has a great COMPREHENSIVE program (including pre-op psych visits, monthly support groups, and lots of education). Just my 2 cents :confused:

Love, Robyn

a person should use only one scale and weigh themselves at the same time of day and in the same state of dress each time they weigh themselves.
Actually I think that any scale weight, consistent or not, is too subjective to be a primary matter of fat loss and that things like measurements, fat analysis, FFM, etc. are what people should truly focus on.

scales are great if you're able to take them with a grain of salt, and not ground your behaviors off of their displays. :confused:

scales are great if you're able to take them with a grain of salt, and not ground your behaviors off of their displays. :confused:

AMEN SISTA!!!!:clap2: :clap2: That is truly the key:biggrin1: