Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Awesome group! I have been reading these boards for a while but rarely if ever actually post. I have not been banded yet. I started my journey by attending an information session at our local bariatric center in April, 2005. At that time, I weighed 444. Well, the local surgeon who does bands won't do them if you're over 400. grrrrr. So I started getting paperwork together and went ahead and got referred to have a sleep study and started trying to lose weight. I am now using cpap for sleep apnea and have all most other paperwork in to the surgeon's office, but I still can't get to that stupid 400 lb. mark! 4/05 I was 444 and got down to 421 by 12/05. :clap2: Well, with the holidays and all by February I had gained most of it back.

Now not only am I back up where I started, I am at 452. :faint: I am 5'9", btw. Anyway, I am back at it and trying to get in to see the surgeon for some direction. This is a great list! I've always been afraid to post my real weight on other boards because of how much I weigh. I need to lose 200 to get to where some people start. Totally depressing! But here, we're all starting as super fluffy! :biggrin1: Can't wait to learn more and get to know you guys!

Hi ladytonya, I'm glad you decided to come out of the woods!

Here's a question -- do you have other surgeons to choose from, or are you for some reason limited to this particular one? I ask because - I know my surgeon has operated on people over 400. I know of other surgeons who have. So it seems to be more like a preference or maybe some kind of clinical policy of his, that you might be able to work around by seeing someone else...?

I'm 5'10 and was 382 on my surgery day. A tight size 32, which is another way of saying size 34. I'm wearing a 24 today, and almost halfway to goal, and still substantially heavier than a lot of others when they first get banded, so I can completely relate.

I have a series of goals lined up, but I'm not assigning date values to them. My first goal was to get into the 2's (I did set a date to that one, and missed it by about a week). Now that I'm in the 2's, my next goal is 230. 230 because that's the weight I last felt comfortable with myself, last felt "normal"... like weight was not my biggest issue (on my, that's also a sz 18/20). I haven't weighed 230 for like 10 years. Once I reach 230, the next goal will be 199, of course, just because it's in the 1's. And then on to my "ideal" weight of 180. Some here have gotten banded weighing LESS than 180. How does that make one feel? :)

Oh, ladytonya, BTW -- if you are unable to change surgeons, then I can recoomend the induction phase of the Atkins diet as a way to get to try and meet your surgrey requirements. I would not be able to advocate it as a "forever" lifestyle, not practical at all, but for the vast majority of people who follow it, they do lose weight and lose it quickly. I followed for about a year, about 2 years ago, and I lost 120 lbs in less than a year. That's no guarantee that you'll see same/better/worse numbers... but just a suggsetion for a diet that might help you get there, if you do indeed need to get there on your own.

Ladytonya,

I too have lost great, only to gain in back and more. It's discouraging at first, but can be used for a new enthusiasm to start over with more determination than ever. I agree with Wheetsin about the Atkins. I did that and lost about 45 lbs. It's hard to stick with after a fashion for me, cause once I eat, I ate more. I found I lost more over a longer period of time having the idea that I wasn't going to EAT anything, and went on www.Cambridgediet.com It's all liquid, but has all the Vitamins and nutrients that you need, comes in many flavors, including Soups and oats. With different flavorings noone has to have the same flavor for a week! It also gave me astounding energy after the 3rd day. (another encouragement for me) I've done the diet twice. Once over 20 years ago, and lost down to my ideal weight, then last year and lost 40.

You can look for other doctors, but it's to your benefit to loose before surgery. The less you weigh the easier to recover. I speak from experience here. Before my surgery, I thought I would never get to eat some things again and so I used that time to EAT, and gained way too much. Now I find out I CAN eat them, and have the 40 extra pounds now to loose.

You may think you have way more to loose than some of us because you're starting weight is more, however, with your height and final goal, the pounds lost are probably about the same. I have over 200 to loose because I'm so short!

Hang in there. I know you can do it!!!!! It's worth the effort.

ofps

Thanks for the great replies! My quandry with the surgeon is there is one office locally that is in-network. There are actually three surgeons but they all have the same 400 or less requirement. The closest in-network surgeon to me that does the band is two hours away. I know a lot of people travel for their surgery, even as far away as Mexico, but I just don't think that's something I want to do. I don't even want to go 2 hours away for my surgery, much less thousands of miles. I want access to the doctor who actually operated on me for fills and other post-op support. Of course none of this matters if my insurance company doesn't reconsider paying for the lap band. Right now, they'll pay for bypass but not banding. They're supposed to be reviewing their policies in August of this year, so I'm praying they add the band to what they'll cover. If that doesn't happen, it's all a moot point anyway and I don't know what I'll do. *crosses fingers* I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Whats wrong with me??!!!!!!!!! I'm so upset with myself. I bought a bag of those tiny cho donuts for DH to take on his fishing trip tomorrow. and wound up eating 1/2 the bag! Now I hurt and wonder why!! Now that I found out I can eat pretty much whatever, I'm going off the deep end! There may be a chance I learned my lesson, but I've said that in the past more times than I can count. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I the only one who binges?Now I'm afraid if I do this again, I'll stretch my UPPER stomach!? I think I just wanted something sweet and didn't want to bake, but I'm not really sure about that. How do you'all curb your cravings?

ofps

Whats wrong with me??!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong with you is that you're human!!! Please don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes but you are admitting it and now you can move on.

When I feel hungry for something I shouldn't have like chocolate, I go ahead and buy a single piece from the "penny candy" shelves. I don't buy a whole container because then I'll justify it by saying "I can't waste money so I'd better finish this container."

I also try to ask myself "why do you want to eat this?" "are you going to feel happy about yourself if you make this choice?" "what "happiness" will I gain by eating this?" When I force myself to think this way I make better choices. If I want something bad and can't think of good answers to these questions then I tell myself...if you're actually hungry then you'd eat a piece of fruit instead. Usually I discover that I'm not hungry enough to eat something healthy!

I hope that helps. Good luck!

hi

No,you are not the only one that still binge.I do to.When ever I can.Usually when the fill has gone a little and I realize it.Or on Fridays with brunch which is the biggest buffets you have ever seen (its Sunday here in the middle east and we eat brunch at different places every week)

But binging now means a full plate of veg,piece of meat and pudding.....or 2 mall packets of crisps...or 6 blocks of chocolate....and then I gain 2kgs anyway with something that wouldnt even have registered on the scale before....

So,it happens.....Seems that everyone else is learning to eat differently and will therefore be thin for the rest of their lives but I still have a massive problem that the band didnt much help me with....plan B coming up (when I can figure it out)

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking for awhile and decided after seeing other super sizers that this was the best place to jump in. I am going to a seminar today about banding. I started on the RNY road about two years ago until I got stopped by a Pulmonary embolism from out of no where. I am 5'3" at 320 with a BMI of 56.6. Have been on all of the diets out there including doctor supervised Modified Protein Fast (four years ago - lost until I stopped the diet) and more recently Orlistat/Xenical (gained weight). Hope this seminar takes me where I hope. But it is discouraging to see others on these boards who are starting where I won't be for who knows how long.

Greetings everyone. I've been lurking for awhile and decided after seeing other super sizers that this was the best place to jump in. I am going to a seminar today about banding. I started on the RNY road about two years ago until I got stopped by a Pulmonary embolism from out of no where. I am 5'3" at 320 with a BMI of 56.6. Have been on all of the diets out there including doctor supervised Modified Protein Fast (four years ago - lost until I stopped the diet) and more recently Orlistat/Xenical (gained weight). Hope this seminar takes me where I hope. But it is discouraging to see others on these boards who are starting where I won't be for who knows how long.

Losing Girl,

Don't worry about where other people started and just focus on you. I am a year younger than you, the same height and was 351 pounds before my surgery. Like you, out of nowhere I was hit with bilateral pulmonary embolisms in January of this year. That delayed my surgery but I was determined to get healthy and finally got banded.

Unlike many people, I felt no restriction at all from the band after the first week of surgery and then felt the same after my first fill. FINALLY, on fill number 2 I understood the purpose of the band. While not dieting, I am now enjoying a healthy eating plan and losing at the rate the surgeon expected.

Good luck with the seminar.

thanks for making me feel a little better about the donuts thing. DH didn't take them with him, but I left them alone after that.

DesertMom: You sure have lost the weight. Think you have it more together than you think.

Losing Girl: Don't worry about where you start. I'm 5'2 and 320 was my starting weight. We didn't put this on in a month or 2, and we can't take it off that fast either. Taking that first step is the hardest, but proudest.

I've had a lot of swelling lately. and some pain. Feels like I'm 9 months pregnant, but baby isn't moving. 5 weeks post op. Anyone else have this?

My first fill is the 25th. Don't think I'm overeating, average 4-5 lbs loss per week. I'm ALMOST in the 3's!!! my first goal.

ofps

Wow, everyone is doing so great !!!

Well I had my third fill today and feeling very swollen. This is the first time with a fill that I couldn't do solids by evening :D good sign :)

....I am 5'3" at 320 with a BMI of 56.6....Hope this seminar takes me where I hope. But it is discouraging to see others on these boards who are starting where I won't be for who knows how long.

Losing Girl,

It was really discouraging to me at first too to see people starting at 220 or so (just an example) when I was starting at 358. But I can tell you, it definitely gets better. We're all on the same road, our road is just a little longer. I can also tell you that the first 3 months for me flew by. Pre-op, I thought 3 months sounded like forever, but now, I bet I'll be 6 mo in before I turn around and will be down to where many people start (260 or so). You'll get there before you know it too.

Can't wait to hear about your seminar!

I am starting at BMI 49, but I feel like I qualify here since I have 150 lbs to lose. I am hoping to get my surgery before Thanksgiving '06. I feel my health rapidly deteriorating. I have focused on getting insurance approval this summer and miraculously got it earlier this month w/o supervised documented 12 month weight loss. I have been skinny before and would love to be again.

I ran across a good verse today...

Hope deferred makes the heart sick: but desire fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

My hope has been deferred so many times at failed weight loss attempts and my heart is so sick that I am peeling it off the floor! I am planning and creating a vision and when my desires for weight loss are met I am going to feast on life. yoo hoo. The band is part of the plan. Getting psychological, behavioral and diet help are part of the plan. Long walks in the park are too. I feel blessed to be able to get another chance. My broken heart will be healing right along with the rest of me. I feel fortunate to have support from y'all right here 24/7.

I finally have an appointment! I made an appointment on Thursday for September 14 with the surgeon who's a little over 2 hours away. I can't keep hoping and praying to get down to this arbitrary weight that my local group requires. I am in Asheville, NC, and our local surgeons won't operate unless you are under 400 lbs. As I have posted before, I have struggled to try to reach this goal to no avail. I started in April, 2005, at 444. Got on the scale on July 12, 2006, and it hit 452. I have since found out that this scale is off by 5 pounds so I was really 447. Just got on that same scale earlier this evening and I was 442! Down 10 lbs in 10 days! Unfortunately, a lot of that might have to do with the fact that I have been sick for the past three days and have barely eaten anything, but I'll take it where I can get it!

I'm kind of glad that I had the momentary freak-out of thinking that I had hit 450. For the past twenty years, it's always been in my head that as long as I don't weight over this or that weight or as long as I can still weigh this or that size. I have long since passed any of those weights and sizes and I have now finally decided that I can't keep on this path. It won't go on for another twenty years because I'll be dead by then! Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Thanks for all the encouraging words on here! I'm so glad I found this section of the board! I was getting so discouraged reading about people who were starting at weights that I haven't seen since junior high!