Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

...I weigh 134 kilos - which is about 315 pounds...

No waaay are you still in the 300s! According to my conversion, your weight is 295.4 lb.

If you have had thinning hair and you are only getting 50, please let me know. I have really long hair and don't want to lose it.
I usually get around 80gm Protein per day, and have been losing small amounts of hair for the last two weeks or so. I also take supplements. Surgery can cause the Hair loss, it isn't necessarily tied in to protein. My mother had hair loss a few months after her hysterectomy. I know several ladies who had it after GB removal. At our SG meetings they say that it's "trauma" to the body that causes the hairloss for most LB patients. Not meeting nutrition requirements will certainly do it too, but that's not an extended problem for lots of LBers.

No waaay are you still in the 300s! According to my conversion, your weight is 295.4 lb.
Cool! I must admit, I didn't calculate the conversion - just guessed it! Unfortunately, it doesn't change the BMI number downwards.... ...that's still 51.5...

I just had lap band surgery 7/20/2006. 50+BMI, highest weight 380. Weight morning of surgery 347. No fills yet. Current weight 328! I love the Onederland idea! My saying is... at 299, I will have a party. At 199 I am going to work naked!

I am going to look for one of those tickers...

I am so happy to be here!~

Hello fellow bandsters!

I was banded on July 20th, and still can't quite believe I'm on the other side! I started at 338 and am down to 316. My question is, why is it that we have to go to mushies after the liquid diet? ? I was starving on the liquid diet after 3 weeks b/c my 2 week appt was scheduled a week late (how nice of them...lol) so I had to eat something. I ended up eating a frozen package of cauliflower in a light cheese sauce--I felt like I was eating prime rib and lobster after almost a month of liquids! Well since then I have been eating this sort of thing and then read that we are supposed to go to mushies next and was wondering why is that? Could I be jeopardizing my band? I also had some canned chicken and tuna since then...do they count as mushies??? Also does this mean I don't have restriction since I could get this stuff down? At first I must have been very swollen b/c it was a struggle to get 2-3 ounces of carnation down. I'm not up for a fill for another three weeks or so unfortunately. I'm not gaining b/c of the food that I am eating, but was wondering about the restriction thing. Thanks!!

Elle :help:

We have the same band day! I have not been too good at mushies. I have had cole slaw, tuna salad, Pasta and un mashed Beans. I have had no problems. Have you had a fill yet? I haven't. I have been steadily losing also. Do you eat 3 times a day?

Hello im Christy and i am new here. I got banded 7/24/2006 and ive been banded now for 3 weeks and i am eating like under 500 cals a day but i feel like these voices in my head tell me i need to scarf down food and being ashamed when people are around that when they leave i contemplate going in the kitchen and eating till my hearts content:cry but then i talk myself down. *sigh* im 5ft8in and at surgery i weighed 413lbs. i have no idea what i weigh and sometimes i think maybe i should of got the bypass, atleast id loose weight fast:think, ya know? i'm 23 yrs old and i feel like on some days im fighting so much just to get through the day. well i just wanted to post and say hello and whine a little,LOL hope to be as good of a loser as you all :)

i am eating like under 500 cals a day but i feel like these voices in my head tell me i need to scarf down food

Hi and welcome!

I am worried about you! Did someone tell you to eat this little? I really feel like you are not consuming enough calories per day. I started out trying to stay around 500 calories a day and my doctor set me straight. Now I average around 1200 calories a day and I am losing more weight than when I was eating 500 calories a day, honestly. Plus, I am in much better spirits.

You didn't mention if you are eating this little because you feel too tight or if it's just because you think that's what you should do...but even if you're too tight then please try to get in some more calories with Protein Shakes then talk with your doctor.

Please let us know how you're doing!

Hi and welcome!

I am worried about you! Did someone tell you to eat this little? I really feel like you are not consuming enough calories per day. I started out trying to stay around 500 calories a day and my doctor set me straight. Now I average around 1200 calories a day and I am losing more weight than when I was eating 500 calories a day, honestly. Plus, I am in much better spirits.

You didn't mention if you are eating this little because you feel too tight or if it's just because you think that's what you should do...but even if you're too tight then please try to get in some more calories with Protein Shakes then talk with your doctor.

Please let us know how you're doing!

I went and got my surgery in mexico and the doctor really didnt explain how much i should be intaking. i only thought it should be less than 500 cals. ooops i guess im wrong. but i feel bad if i eat more,like im eating too much. the only thing im eating in 2 kinds of cream Soup, jello,broth,cream of wheat. i tried cottage cheese a few times but those are my reg's. and i have not been tightened yet, my first will be sep 2nd.:help:

I felt the EXACT same way when I started...if I eat more than 1/2 cup or if I eat more than 500 calories a day then I'm not doing it right and I won't be successful. It made me feel ashamed that 1/2 cup didn't fill me up. I was in tears at my surgeon's office over it and he made me promise that I would only eat healthy stuff (no junk) and that I would eat until I was satisfied...not full. There's a subtle difference there that I'm still struggling with.

So, my opinion is definately to increase your calories per day. My doc explained that it isn't realistic to eat 500 calories a day forever so you risk training your body to live off a very small amount of food per day...then eventually you will start slipping and eating more because you're starved (human nature) but unfortunately your metabolism will be used to the 500 a day and eating more than this will make you gain. Plus he said that your body will be nutritionally deprived at this level and it will essentially hold on to the fat as a self-defense against the lack of food.

Some people will disagree...but my experience is that I've gotten better results maintaining a level of food intake that I can reasonably expect to keep for the rest of my life (around 1200/day).

I hope that helps and PLEASE don't feel like you're messing up. You're trying and that's most important. I just would hate to see you starving yourself when in my opinion it is hurting you, not helping. I wish you lots of luck and everyone on these boards will always have good advice to offer to help you find your way as you start out!

I find that I lose best at around 1000-1200 cal per day. When I was first banded, it didn't seem possible to eat that much, but you will be able to before long and you will feel so much better. Hang in there :(

I weigh 325 and am about 5'6". My bmi is 52. I have been exploring the possibility of having the band done since Feb. of this year. Was scheduled to go to Mexico in March and my hubby got sick. Now I am trying to check into doctors that my insurance (United HealthCare) will cover. I was so disappointed when I was told this past week that I weigh too much for the band (dr. at Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Fl). So I got online and started a thread and got much response, one directed me here. Thanks for all of you who have gone before me. Keep up the sharing. It really helps. Brenda

I was told this past week that I weigh too much for the band (dr. at Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Fl). Brenda

Brenda...that is RIDICULOUS! Too big for the band??? I weighed more than you at the time of surgery and I made out just fine. Plus, I've had pretty good success so far. If you don't have any other co-morbidites that are making it risky for your doctor to do surgery then I say they are full of it. What are they saying is the alternative?? The bypass? That makes me mad!

Christy...how's it going???? Have you been eating any more? Do you feel any better about things? Please give us an update when you have a chance. Thanks!

Yes, exactly, the dr. said he would not do the lap band on me, my BMI is too high. It would not be successful, the weight loss would be slow and I could not lose enough since I have so much to lose. I would rather lose slow, I am 56 years old and I don't care about being really thin, would love to see 200 again! Thanks for your reply!