Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

Hi all! i am 5'4" and weighed 291 when i started this process which gave me a bmi of 49-50. with the preop req'ments i lost some weight and ended at 284. i was banded 7/25. i've lost about 19 lbs. and go for my first check up on 8/23when i finally get to eat mushies! i want scrambled eggs! actually, i really want pizza but i think i have to wait a little longer, dammit! is anyone getting hungry at nite? my tummy starts growling about 9:30 or 10! help!

Find a new doctor. That's a real shame. What are you gonna do? Don't give up. If the band is what you want to persue then don't give up. Like I said, I was bigger than you and my band has been a wonderful thing in my life.

i was banded 7/25. i've lost about 19 lbs. and go for my first check up on 8/23when i finally get to eat mushies!

Whoa! A whole month of liquid? ? I had a week post-op then I moved to mushies. I'd definately say No to the pizza, but if you are starving (which you probably are) then (with the disclaimer that I'm not your doc so don't just take my word for it) I'd say it's OK to eat some mushie stuff now. Refried Beans were the most delicious thing while I was recovering, I also ate cream of wheat etc.

PS-Congrats on the 19lbs, that's great!

Hi! This is my first post. I was banded 7/28/2006 by Dr. Eric Pinnar in VA. I just love him and recomend him highly for anyone in the DC metro area. My starting weight was 398. At my 1 week follow up I weighed 377. That was about a week ago. I have lost 1-2 more pounds since. My doc has liquid for 2 weeks then mush for another 2 ... then slowly introducing new a little less mushy foods -- but still softish food. He told me that in the mush phase, I shouldn't eat anything that I need to chew. I love my magic bullet! I creamed an egg today and it was great! I can only eat 1/4 cup right now per my doctors instruction -- so I am still hungry a lot.

Being super-sized is tougher than going a little hungry. When ever I feel depressed or want to over eat, I remind myself of that show on the health channel wear the 700lb man was bed-ridden and died. I don't want to be that way. I want to live --- fall in love ---- have a life.

any way --- sorry so long. peace.

Christy...how's it going???? Have you been eating any more? Do you feel any better about things? Please give us an update when you have a chance. Thanks!

I'm doing good. i went to the store last night and bought some baby food and some gerber graduates small meals the new ones that are 170 cals and thats what im gonna be eating for dinners and breakfest will be cream of wheat and lunch Soup or babyfood. so im gonna go up to 700 cals a day:hungry:

but im taking it slow ya know, thank you for caring! much love!:clap2:

I was told this past week that I weigh too much for the band

Blewisfla: I'm flabbergasted that you would receive this response. Don't believe it! (And keep looking for a another doctor.) I have the same health insurance as you, I had a higher BMI, and I'm older than you. I'm thrilled with the band: I've lost 55 lbs. in 3.5 months. Go for it!

I have been thinking about the lap-band for years. Lately I feel confused as to the lap band or gastric bypass. I too am a big gun!!! At 5'4 and 314lbs. I have a list of medical issues due to my weight as well. The biggest problem is my back, I had surgery on it almost 2 years ago. I NEED to get the weight off my body BIG TIME!!! I was wondering if you think the lap band is a wise choice for someone my weight and is it realistic to think I could lose 150lbs with the lap band? looking forward to hearing your responses, thanks.

I have been thinking about the lap-band for years. Lately I feel confused as to the lap band or gastric bypass. I too am a big gun!!! At 5'4 and 314lbs. I have a list of medical issues due to my weight as well. The biggest problem is my back, I had surgery on it almost 2 years ago. I NEED to get the weight off my body BIG TIME!!! I was wondering if you think the lap band is a wise choice for someone my weight and is it realistic to think I could lose 150lbs with the lap band? looking forward to hearing your responses, thanks.

I have 4 herniated discs in my back and it can be miserable. I've had sciatica for several weeks at a time and muscle spasms so severe that it altered my ability to stand up straight...I definately can relate to the back issue. It was part of my decision to get WLS. You probably know the cycle...back hurts so you don't exercise...back feels better so you try to exercise to get some weight off then you hurt your back and are back to no exercise. This went on for years...luckily my band has broken this cycle and I've lost enough weight to comfortably exercise daily. Also, I do think it's realistic to lose 150 pounds with the band...I'm darn near close to 100 right now. It takes a lot of work to make the band work for you but if you're determined to do it then I say go for it! I'm trying my darndest to lose 200+ with my band!

OH MY GOD.....I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND WHERE I BELONG!!

I have just found this thread and have been reading it for what sems like hours (am up to page 19), I feel so much better now that I have found people who have a lot to lose...

I was banded in the uk on 18th July 2006 and therefore am almost 4 weeks post op, I think I have lost approx 13lbs, but will know better when i see my dietician on friday and get the official weight.

I've joined a gym this week and went today for my first workout it went great, don't know if I'l feel like this tomorrow though....

I'm waiting for a date for my first fill, was told it will be 6 - 8 weeks post op but sometimes its longer than that here...I cant wait for it as I do feel hunger now and also 'cos I can eat normal food I have the urge to eat more than I should, I don't eat it but don't know how long I can hold out...

I just want to say how well everyone is doing and the amount of support that is given when someone stumbles is fab....keep up the good work!

Oh, just want to say my hospital was weighing me in kilos and I really want to be below 150 before the op, but hadn't made it at the pre op assessment so was disappointed ... but when they weighed me before going down for op...I was 149.7!! I leapt of the scales and was jumping around shouting 'I can't believe it'(they all thought I was going mad!) so the moral of the story is If I get that excited at that, what will I be like when I reach my first goal of 50lbs off??? I think you peeps in USA will hear me!! LOL

Wow welcome to all the joiners of this thread :)

For the record I have 200 lbs to lose total and I know I can achieve that goal! A friend had bypass a litte more than a year ago and is now already fighting to keep from gaining her back. She lost 200 lbs in a little less than a year and will spend the rest of her life with an alterred body that may or may not be able to absorb necessary nutrients. It will take me a couple 2-3 years to reach my goal and that is ok. The band isn't for everyone and for some the bypass is a good choice, only you can ultimately decide that. I say try the safer first if it doesn't work well for you, you can always switch to some other wls method later.

Dezadoo youa re in week 2 it looks like. Mushies at week 2, while I am not your doctor, I truly believe you are safe to move on to mushies, just always excersise caution, go slow and start with stuff like yogurt and move up to stuff like scrambled eggs and refried Beans. As for hunger, you will be hungry till you get restriction :) Grats on being banded :(

waterlily - it amazes me how different all our programs are! i am on wk 3, of liquids. mushies start next wed!!!after 4 wks of liquids. i can't wait. i agree about the slow steady and hopefully permanent wt loss progression. bandeds unite!

I got my band on 7/24/2006 and i was on liquids for two weeks and now i find myself *sneaking* things i shouldnt have:embarassed: i feel like a failure i mean i went this weekend to long john silvers and got a kids meal and ate one piece of fish and mashed potatos and a chocolate chewy bar. i dont know whats wrong with me. now i find that i am eating bigger portions:help: like instead of a little cup of cream of wheat for breakfest im having two. stuff like that. how do i start this over and try again? i have not had my band tightened till sep 2nd. should i go back through the detox part and do liqiuds again for a week? i feel so hopeless and sad that im even posting this but i thought id ask:think