Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A thread for super-sized bandsters - starting BMI over 50?

robyn,

i'm so sorry to hear about your port!!! what are they going to do about it?

i will see you in a couple of weeks at the next support group meeting (remember me?)

cate

Your information is wonderful, I look up to all you pro-bandsters. I'm sorry to heat about your port, hope your doc can't clear that up for you.

Hey Cate! Of course I know who you are. By the way, I have been following your posts and you are doing awesome girl! Keep up the great work! Cate and Angela.....just wanted to let you know you are welcome to go out for coffee or something with Holli and I after support group next Thursday (don't know if Holli e-mailed you or not Wheetsin). Would love to have time to sit around and chat with fellow Hoehnites (I just made that up ...hehehe:biggrin1: ).

I'm not going to say anything at support group because I don't want to depress any of the prospective newbies, but he doesn't think my lump under my incision is infection, which is good and bad news. The good news is, that infections are very hard to get rid of without removal of the port. SO ....I'm glad it isn't that. Now for the bad news....the lump is actually the tubing that has somehow protruded its way through my abdominal wall and is trying to make it's way through my skin (kind of like a hernia I guess, only its the tubing coming through and not intestines like it would be if it was a hernia). So ....this means another surgery. Hey, with 4 surgeries under my belt in 10 months, I'm an old pro at this right?? I guess I won't be afraid of getting plastic surgery after this is all said and done! ;) Gotta keep my chin up and find the humor in all of this somehow:confused:

CLOE....thanks for the kind words. Keep up the good work. You too are doing great!

Thanks Robyn! I'm sorry to hear about your port. Is insurance covering all these? Or is Hoehn cutting a deal with you? Unbelievable. At least through all the problems, you have still lost weight.

I'm so excited for support group Thursday. I kept confusing 4th Thursday of month w/ Last thursday of month. Holli e-mailed me, I'm totally down for coffee or whatever. It'll be nicer than just standing around conference room a or the hallway ;) It's been a stressful time lately, it'll be good to just be able to relax with some Hoehnites (Hoehnanians? Hoehnsters? Hoehnans?) I'm definitely looking forward to it.

When's the surgery?

I posted about getting together somewhere and Holli suggested after the support group. Duh! Where is my mind? I didn't even put 2 + 2... of course we can do it after the meeting!

Robin... my word... I lost track of this thread and had no idea you were still having problems after your most recent surgery. So -- was the tubing the problem to begin with? Or was it indeed the port the first time, and the tubing is a new problem? He needs to give you a frequent patient card -- 4 surgeries and your 5th one is free!

BTW, did you ladies get your letters from the office? No more "free fills for a year". They're just giving you 3 months' worth, and since you don't get a fill until 5 - 6 weeks post, that's going to be about 2 fills. No biggie for me 'cause my copay is only $20, thankfully, but I kinda feel for the people who are self-pay and had surgery thinking they'd have a year free.

Can they change that retroactively though? I mean I had surgery and signed a thing saying that I would have free fills for a year.

The way I read it, they can... but I didn't read it closely. I will have to look again. From my quick skimming it definitely sounded like a policy change that was in effect for everyone, and when my husband read it he got the same impression, but neither of us paid much attention. Hmm - actually, I'll call and see.

What's your plan for fills Cate? Do you have family here you'l be visiting, and you'll get your fills while here, or do you have a fill doc in N.O.?

I haven't received it yet, so I can always see. And I'll definitely ask next Friday at my fill.

Currently, both. I will be back here to visit family, but I also have set up a fill dr. in NO just in case. I wanted to make sure I had someone down there in case I really needed a fill/unfill.

When we get home tonight, if I remember, I'll PM you the verbiage of the letter. It's pretty short. I also called Billie but just got her VM. I left her a message, but I don't know if she'll call back before I leave work for the day.

I'm a liar I left Nola a message.

BTW - Holli, Cate, Robin, etc. -- what sizes are you guys in? (If you don't mind sharing) I ask because -- I'm probably a bigger size than any of you, but I have a ton of clothes I need to get rid of. Anything you guys are looking for?

Thanks Angela. I feel like I'm stuck in a week from hell. My mind has completely left me - I feel like I can't remember anything. Honestly, I feel like my brain is completely dead and can't hold a charge even if I try recharging. I missed my appt with Sabapathy this afternoon - I forgot! Unbelievable.

I'm a 22 right now, which means I'm wearing a bunch of clothes I bought like 2-3 years ago. ;)

Hey girls-

We need to start a Hoehnite thread or something to babble back and forth on ;) Angela- no it was definitely an infected port last time. This time it is definitely something else....and the bump is over a different incision than last time (one of the tiny ones he uses for the laproscopic instruments, not the big port incision). My insurance should cover this one as he can just label it as a hernia I think.

I don't know though....with the change in the fill policy, I can understand him changing it for insurance billing purposes. But to make people who have already spent 16,000 on the original surgery (which is more reimbursement than he gets from the insurance company I'm sure) to start paying $100+ for a fill seems a little iffy to me. Plus the fact that I haven't been able to get fills due to all my problems......They are rational people though that have always done the right thing as far as I am concerned in the past. So I wasn't really too concerned about the letter, but do plan on discussing it at a later date.

I just decided I'm going to be the charter member of the new "surgery of the month club" since I keep having to have surgeries. The second surgery ruined my new years/and anniversary. My third surgery ruined Mother's Day. Now my fourth surgery is going to screw up 4th of July and my Birthday (which is July 5th). Oh well...... I still wouldn't change a thing :)

Angela, I don't mind shouting from the rooftops that I have gone from a size 36 (aka tents) to a size 20 :clap2: (I can't believe I just said that!!!!) I too have a lot of clothes to get rid of .....Maybe we could plan another clothing exchange at the support group for July's meeting and announce it at this one next week? Holli is so awesome, she invited me over one night after support group and let me go through BOXES AND BOXES of her old clothes and take whatever I wanted. Luckily we have similiar taste in clothing and I was able to take some of her stuff that was too small for me at the time, but now I'm able to fit into some of it. Definitely saves some money on buying the new clothing to only be in it for a few months.

Robyn

Wahoo! Got my second fill this morning! Cross your fingers and wish me luck that I will finally have good restriction. I now have 6.5cc's in my 10cc band. I hope this works ....

Robyn, have you asked about the

Have your appendix removed, get your tonsils out free" special?? Most places have that, and you may as well while you're in! j/k. What an ordeal!

I had my first fill Tuesday, I'm still not feeling it, and am not eating right. I did try a gym, I'm on my way there now. Of course the people they stare at this hippo on a treadmill, but I of course think that at least I'm trying to do something about my weight. On the other hand, it is uncomfortable.

It must be summertime. Everyone is outside enjoying the birds, and inside enjoying the bees! On that note, I'm off to embarass myself at the gym!!! Have a beautiful summery day!