Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! My Co-Works Are Trying To Talk Me Out Of It.

I know this shouldnt hold me back but everyone at work is trying to talk me out of my surgery. I just started my pre-op diet and they think if i can do this diet for 25 days than why cant i just lose the weight on my own. I mean alot of people stress eat but what makes me think the lap band will help me with that. I try to explain this is a life style change but nobody can understand me. They dont know why i cant do this on my own. What can i say to them to make them understand and why does the things they are saying effect me so much. :(

WOW sorry ur coworkers are not supportive.it's really not their business but since they are in it.....my preop diet was full liquids with 3 oz of Protein in the evening.that is diet that can not be done forever.you can't live like that.

Also for me I've been successful dieting for up to 6 months but at some point u hit a plateau or a life situation and I give up.the band sets the bar for you.it's much harder to give up and over eat with the band.( although not impossible)

This is a tool to help u do the right thing u need it want it u did ur research it's the right decision for you so they can support u or don't say anything...gooodluck !!

Ignore your co-workers. YOU are doing this for YOU! You are the only one that will follow rules and change your eating habits to make this "tool" work for you. There are some negative people out there and try to stay on course for YOU.

Best Wishes

They don't need to understand. You don't need to defend or explain your motives to them. Put your energy into your journey instead of seeking support where there is only dissent. The first step in not allowing your resolve to be undermined is to make the entire topic off-limits at work. You're on your way down the road to a great improvement in your life and it's silly to let yourself be influenced by people who do not have your best interests at heart.

Good luck to you.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! Plainly tell them " i'm going to do it! " If they're not supportive walk away... You have to do this for YOU, not for them...I had the same problem at work and I nipped it in the bud and just quit telling anyone...They'll be happy for you when you lose the weight, and then you can say " i told you so".

I had people say that to me as well but they are not living a day in shoes. You have to do what is right for you and block out the noise. Ihave lost 80lbs 3 times what is different with the band i know this will be the last time best of luck

I would not engage in any further conversation with your coworkers. Let them know that this topic is off limits to you. (I have told 4 people besides my mother and sister and not alot of people have a come back when I said.......if I don't do this, I am going to die)

I don't think they have a good explanation as to what the band does. Let them know that you struggle with feeling full after meals and that's where the band is going to help you or <insert reason you selected the band>

Not that you owe them an explanation but those who never considered the option, probably don't know a whole lot about it. After you've give them a background on what it is, let them know that you don't wish to discuss your surgery with them anymore because you feel as if they aren't being supportive and you don't want to ruin your relationship with them. If they can't move past giving you horrible advice, then leave them alone. You have enough weight to lose and dead end relationships = emotional weight... lose that too. Good luck with your pre-op diet and surgery!

I know this shouldnt hold me back but everyone at work is trying to talk me out of my surgery. I just started my pre-op diet and they think if i can do this diet for 25 days than why cant i just lose the weight on my own. I mean alot of people stress eat but what makes me think the lap band will help me with that. I try to explain this is a life style change but nobody can understand me. They dont know why i cant do this on my own. What can i say to them to make them understand and why does the things they are saying effect me so much. :(

sometimes trying to (explain things) to people is like talking to a brick wall, the more you explain, the more they keep on telling you not too. this is your decision. if you want to be healthy and get yourself well, then do so. by telling people, especially ones without a weight issue or who dont understand what WLS surgery, you often find no support.

if you want this, then do it with your head high and get on with it. do this for you and not (them)

As mentioned above no one else esp. coworkers have to live in YOUR body. I had a stroke at 39 (was a realtively healthy fat person). Do they plan on caring for you? I doubt it.

Again as previously mentioned the band helps you keep the course. For me being on a "diet" is hard work (yes this is a lifestle). I have to constantly choose the right foods. Three times in my life I've lost over 100 pounds and gained it back. I eventually get TIRED of constantly having to actively choose to eat small portions.

The band will never help you choose healthy foods. Ice cream, candy, crackers will slide right through the band and never make you feel full. The band will help you stay full longer if you eat solid Protein and veggies. Once at restriction the band will give you satiation for up to 5 hours. This will help you pass up mid afternoon Snacks (you know the brownies someone brings out after lunch).

You can not sustain the preop diet for the rest of your life. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. You can not eat liquids only for ever. The band will help you eat like a thin person. Tell them that. Notice I said help; not FORCE.

Thin people occationally have treats. That treat may be a brownie for you or a cheeseburger. The key there is occationally, and it's a small portion not half a pan or two quarter pounders.

If they still push you ask "If someone needed Insulin; would you tell them to push on without it? Or if they needed a pace maker to just suck it up?" I don't think so.

I bet most of them don't have a weight problem. That's my favorite when thin people have all the answers on weight when they've never struggled.

also, being (thin) does not mean they are healthy either..

One of the significant up sides to the band it the ongoing assistance it can give you to avoid regaining the weight you loose, if you continue to follow the rules. Long term success, with every conventional diet, which was mentioned in an earlier post in this thread is not the actual weight loss, but keeping the weight you have lost off.

It's so important to tune out the negative opinions of others. To be emotionally healthy you need to be able to think for yourself, and make your choices based on what you know to be your own needs. There is no better time than now to begin that process of becoming more emotionally healthy, along with physically healthy.

Others do not know your entire reasoning for your surgery decision, nor do they have to contend with your daily challenges...as such, they are not qualified to "weigh in" with their opinions.

I agree with the posts above. It only happened to me once and I pretty much said that I was doing it and I have struggled to long. I agree with not allowing the topic anymore.

:rolleyes: Smile! You're going to feel sooooo good after you have this done and lose the weight!!!!