Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Have Gallbladder Removal With Lapband Surgery?

Did anyone have gallbladder removal with lapband surgery? If so, how was recovery?

I had already had mine out before lap band surgery. My surgeon used to so lap band and gall bladder removal at the same time but has found that patients who have both done at the same time had more band complications and higher rates of infection, so he no longer will do both together. Having had both surgeries I wouldn't want to be recovering from both at the same time. Every surgeon is different, but my surgeon is very open about things.

I had already had mine out before lap band surgery. My surgeon used to so lap band and gall bladder removal at the same time but has found that patients who have both done at the same time had more band complications and higher rates of infection' date=' so he no longer will do both together. Having had both surgeries I wouldn't want to be recovering from both at the same time. Every surgeon is different, but my surgeon is very open about things.[/quote']

Thank you!

I had mine done at the same time 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had attacks last August with an ultrasound that showed stones. I haven't had any attacks since (I think I passed th stones) other than some rare mild discomfort with fatty foods. Initially my surgeon refused to take it out at the same time, citing risk of infection. At my final consultation, he was willing to do it since it had no longer been giving me trouble and I was willing to accept the small risk of infection. For me, I wanted to have only one surgery and one anesthetic. After surgery, he told me everything went perfectly and my gallbladder was healthy.

I do sense that I have had more postop pain than those with only the band. My right upper abdomen was very sore, I've had no complications. Good luck!

I had mine done at the same time 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had attacks last August with an ultrasound that showed stones. I haven't had any attacks since (I think I passed th stones) other than some rare mild discomfort with fatty foods. Initially my surgeon refused to take it out at the same time' date=' citing risk of infection. At my final consultation, he was willing to do it since it had no longer been giving me trouble and I was willing to accept the small risk of infection. For me, I wanted to have only one surgery and one anesthetic. After surgery, he told me everything went perfectly and my gallbladder was healthy.

I do sense that I have had more postop pain than those with only the band. My right upper abdomen was very sore, I've had no complications. Good luck![/quote']

Thank you! I'm so glad you didn't have any complications! I'm having mine taken out this thursday and getting banded at the same time! I'm just like you, I've never had any major attacks and they found out I have gallstones by accident in a chest ct scan when they were looking for something else. My doctor said he would do them both, as long as my gallbladder wasn't filled with too much stuff. I'm hoping I can get them both done at the same time because I really don't want two surgeries. Thanks again :)

I did with my surgery on May 14th. I had asked to get it out early, so my surgeon ordered an abdominal ultrasound that showed gallstones.

Actually, he thought my surgery would take a longer bit of time, so he reserved the operating room for three hours. I got the band, plication, big hiatal hernia repair and gallbladder removal. Because I had followed the pre op instructions he said my liver was beautifully small, so the whole thing only took 90 minutes. I don't think my recovery was impacted because of the gallbladder, I was on post op liquids for two weeks because of the plication.

Our bodies are amazing creations..but it is interesting what we can do without. I have had appendix, tonsils, adenoids,and gallbladder removed. I am getting a hysterectomy on August 20th. I am feng shui-ing my insides...lol

I had mine removed about 7 months after banding. It was a lot more painful than my Lapband surgery. I was on pain meds for about 2 days and it took about a week until I was ready to go back to work.

Most doctors will not do them at the same time due to infection concerns. My doctor has only once removed a gall bladder during banding surgery. The gall bladder in a question had gangrene which an kill you! Most shocking the patient had no gall bladder pain and it was a huge shock when the doctor got in there.

For those who have not had a gall bladder attack. Having "mild pain" is EXTREMLY rare. A full blown attack is HORRIFIC. Writhing on the bed in a fetal position painful. Had mine removed after losing 100 pounds when I was 18. Really rare for someone that age.

Thank you! I'm hoping the pain won't be too much :/ Good luck, Geminita on your hysterectomy!

Most doctors will not do them at the same time due to infection concerns. My doctor has only once removed a gall bladder during banding surgery. The gall bladder in a question had gangrene which an kill you! Most shocking the patient had no gall bladder pain and it was a huge shock when the doctor got in there.

For those who have not had a gall bladder attack. Having "mild pain" is EXTREMLY rare. A full blown attack is HORRIFIC. Writhing on the bed in a fetal position painful. Had mine removed after losing 100 pounds when I was 18. Really rare for someone that age.

Gangrene?! O.o Just in that patient, right?

Gangrene?! O.o Just in that patient' date=' right?[/quote']

Yes, just in that patient! Nothing at all really about the band. Though I have heard of surgeons finding tumors during lap and surgery.