Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Does The Pain Die Down?

Had surgery yesterday, and they told me to keep walking but I can't even stand up straight. When I lay on my back for too long and try to get up, it feels like my stomach alone is 100 pounds and it feels like my insides are stretched to the limit. Is this normal? I've had to religiously take my pain meds plus some.

How long it this soreness and tightness going to last?

I was just banded on 5/21. for me days 2-3 were the worst. i didn't lay flat because I couldn't get up it hurt so much. it started to get better on day 4, by day 5 i was only taking pain meds to help me sleep. I have a tendancy to roll over in my sleep and that was still painful. I was off all pain meds by day 7. i was still sore for a couple of days, especially if I was sitting in one position too long. Keep waking as much as you can, it will help with the gas and prevent clots.

Good luck!

I had my band put in on 6/5 at noon and I feel 75% better to day. ???Š good luck

I was banded 5/29 and feeling almost normal today. This is really my first day with our a lot if tightness but I still feel it when I walk or am doing light chores. I'm thinking by 2 weeks it will be completely gone... I hope!!!

I only took pain meds for 4 days and then to sleep for 2 more nights. Each morning I wake up feeling much better!

Had surgery yesterday, and they told me to keep walking but I can't even stand up straight. When I lay on my back for too long and try to get up, it feels like my stomach alone is 100 pounds and it feels like my insides are stretched to the limit. Is this normal? I've had to religiously take my pain meds plus some.

How long it this soreness and tightness going to last?

I don't recall having a sensation of "tightness" post op...but I do understand how important it is to continue to move around during this most important post op time.

The tightness does not sound normal to me, especially if your pain control medications are not helping lower your level of pain.

I would consult with the surgeon immediately.

It does take a few days to begin to feel better; and I know you will get there. I do feel you should let your doctor know your condition asap!

Hope you feel better soon...

I was banded on 6/5 and had hernia repair same day........now the tightness I feel is the gas they blow you up with to be able to see in your abdomen. I looked pregnant mine was so big. Iseen my doc today and he said I still had a lot of gas and Fluid and advised me to take HCTZ 12.5mg. But to be sure and get my liquids in . I have dropped 6 pounds from yesterday......just fluid but still feel tight in my belly. IDK, call and ask if you should be feeling all this tightness. It is very uncomfortable.

IM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU BRE... THEY GAVE ME liquid LORATAB AND IT DOES NOTHING MY TUMMY IS WAY SWOLLEN AND MY INCISIONS ARE TIGHT TOO. MY HUSBAND HAS TO HELP ME OUT OF BED CUZ IT HURTS TO SIT UP... I PROPPED MYSELF UP IN BED AT AN ANGLE AND THAT HELPS PLUS TRY A HEATING PAD OOOO WORKS WONDERS FOR MY INCISION PAIN AND MY SHOULDER GAS PAIN. I HOPE YOU START TO FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!

I was banded on 6-5. I had extreme nausea the day of surgery and some short bouts (an hour or less) of nausea each day since, but I haven't had any real pain. I have had to take medicine for the nausea because I'm not patient enough to see if it will go away on it's own.

I am normally a side sleeper, but I am comfortable only on my back.

On the day of surgery, I walked some before the procedure while I waited, and I walked a little around the house after I got home from surgery, definitely less than a mile, because I was told to walk to help keep blood clots from forming. The next day, I walked 3 miles outside. Yesterday, I walked 6 miles with no problem. However, today, I walked 4 miles early this morning with no issues, but when I walked 2 more miles this afternoon, I was struggling before I got back home, and I felt lousy afterwards for about an hour. I never like heat and humidity, but it bothered me worse this afternoon than it generally does. Maybe it was the heat and humidity. Maybe I overdid it. Or perhaps it was the combination.

I had a lot of swelling Tuesday-Thursday, so much that my abdomen felt "tight," but today the swelling is significantly better. I've been lucky and haven't had any gas pain.

I've been getting all of my Protein in (60 grams) and at least 64+ ounces of Fluid daily. The nurse told me to drink as much as I possibly could to help remove the anesthetic from my body. The first day, it was very difficult, but the second day was a little easier, though I could hardly stand the taste of the Isopure I was relying on from Protein. Then I was able to start regular liquids, and since then, it has been much easier. I have been drinking two Premier drinks (60 grams of protein together), then flavored Water or a low calorie juice drink. I am looking forward to having additional options next week.

Hang in there. Every new day does seem to be a little better. And it will hopefully be worth it when we are completely healed. :)

IM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU BRE... THEY GAVE ME LIQUID LORATAB AND IT DOES NOTHING MY TUMMY IS WAY SWOLLEN AND MY INCISIONS ARE TIGHT TOO. MY HUSBAND HAS TO HELP ME OUT OF BED CUZ IT HURTS TO SIT UP... I PROPPED MYSELF UP IN BED AT AN ANGLE AND THAT HELPS PLUS TRY A HEATING PAD OOOO WORKS WONDERS FOR MY INCISION PAIN AND MY SHOULDER GAS PAIN. I HOPE YOU START TO FEEL BETTER SOON!!!!

I am feeling everything you just said. I am FINALLY able to burp and let gas out, but it's still really tight feeling and achy. I have been trying to walk as much as possible. I am hoping tomorrow is better. My husband also has to help me in and out of bed because it hurts to sit up by myself. I also gained 6 pounds right after surgery. Today I was 1 pound heavier than I was on my surgery day.

For me day 5 was the turning point.Your well on your way just becareful with the pain meds.

I FELL BETTER TODAY MY MOM CAME OVER LAST NIGHT AND MADE ME GO FOR A WALK WITH HER AND IT LOOSENED UP SOME AIR WHICH FELT GREAT. THE MEDS DONT EVEN WORK FOR ME N IV HAD TROUBLES sleeping BUT OTHERWISE I FEEL LOTTS BETTER TODAY SWELLING HAS GONE DOWN SOME DONT FEEL SO TIGHT. OF COURSE IM SORE STILL AT THE INCISION SITE BUT IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THAT TOO MUCH HANG IN THERE HUN IT SHOULD START GETTING BETTER SOON....

I FELL BETTER TODAY MY MOM CAME OVER LAST NIGHT AND MADE ME GO FOR A WALK WITH HER AND IT LOOSENED UP SOME AIR WHICH FELT GREAT.

I'm sorry the meds aren't working for you, but it's great to know that you are feeling better. Every new day will hopefully be a little better than the last one.

Today, I rode in the vehicle about 2 1/2 hours and needed a pain pill before we arrived back home. Strangely, I think the seat belt and the movement of my bra irritated my incision sites, especially the incision area just below my bra.

Oh yes im right there with ta i used a pillow between me and the seatbelt and leaned my seat back a little which helped allot when i was discharged i had a two hour drive home sucked but use those tips and it helps allot! I just know if the darn swelling would go down id feel great! But ill just keep hoping for tomorrow!

I took a long nap today and I feel so much better. No gas pains, I'm now able to sleep on my side, and I don't feel that stretching feeling when I stand up. My back is still pretty achy, but I had a bad back to begin with and sleeping the past two nights on it didn't help. I've lost almost 7 pounds since I started the 2 day liquid pre op diet. Today is my post op day 2.

I can't tell you how nice it is to log on and see people dealing with the same issues I am having it just helps me see how others are dealing......I was banded on 6/5 and today was my first time out of the house and I might of over did it a bit. I figured I was good with no pain meds and I to went for a car ride probably only 45 mins but between the bumps and gas pain I def took some pain meds when I got home. Hopefully tomorrow is better but I def don't regret this descision to better my life. I know this is just temporary.