Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I get banded on May 16th. My liquid diet starts today the 6th. However; I started friday to get a feel of what its like. I have a couple of Protein Shakes to chose from but I wanted to know what did majority use? The Special K tastes good but doesn't have what the Amplify shakes have and the Amplify is nasty. I dont know how many of these shakes I am suppose to have because I did Breakfast, lunch and dinner with 1 Jello and 1 broth and I almost went insane. Yesterday I ate 4 spoons of mushy brocili with the 3 Protein Shakes just to give me some substance and I felt a little better. Today is my official first day and I'm scared to eat the brocoli because it doesn't say I can have it. Also, how do avoid the headaches and the mood swings? And (lol) is it possible to loose 7lbs in 1 week? I cut sodas and starch out on Monday and today it says I lost 7lbs, I dont believe it.

blk-weight.png

I am doing alpine punch Isopure, chocolate Pure Protein, and chocolate Oh Yeah. Some people like Myoplex and Muscle Milk as well. You can find them at The Vitamin Shoppe. Hunger and mood swings seem to be the norm. I am day 8 and its easier now because I'm so focused on surgery which is only a couple of days away. But the first few days, I wondered what the heck I was doing to myself. LOL. It sounds to me like you are still not getting in enough protein... I would give your nutritionist a call and see if you can add it 1 or 2 more Protein shakes a day. Drinking lots of Water should help with headaches.

Losing 7 lbs in a week is definitely possible! I have heard of people losing up to 20 lbs on the liquids alone. At least there's a silver lining right?

My doctor had me on a crash diet. I had to drink a mix of roman lettuce, parsley, spinach, and green apples blended with apple juice. I had to drink this every time I felt hungry. It was not the best looking drink, but I drank it.

FYI I don't like green apples either yuck! :unsure:

Droping 7 lbs. In 7 days Is totally possiable. I did it, I'll admit though that it wasn't easy though. As for the protien shakes I use the vanilla flavor that you can get in the 5 pound bags from costco "criosport" And to change up the flavor I'll add creamy Peanut Butter or any type of friut. And thats been my breakfast for the last 3 months. But, I havn't noticed any mood swings as of yet with the criosport.

So long and happy days,

Thank you for responding. I am at the stage where I'm wondering what am I doing and praying I will be able to make it. I just realized working at night is not benefiting me either. If I was home it would be easier (I think). I work 7p-7a and our census is low which means I'm thinking about a snack. Today is my official first day, I hope it doesnt get any worse considering I had brocoli yesterday and today I will cut out all solid foods.

Special K Protein shakes don't have enough Protein (10 g) to do you any good. Those are meant as a suppliment for people eating 3 meals a day. If you need ready to drink shakes try Premier Brand (costco and Sams 160 cals for 30 g protein) or muscle milk light (make sure its light the regular has HUGE calories available at Walmart and other places).

Sure it's possible to loose 7 pounds in a week esp if you have given up regular soda. Imagine giving up 1-2 candy bars a day. That's how much sugar is in soda.

Thank you so much that was very helpful. I will try the muscle milk light. Did yall eat anything during the 10 day pre op diet?

I ate lunch at Jason's Deli everyday on my 14 day pre-op diet and still lost 9 lbs. I had a myoplex lite shake every morning, chicken, beef, or fish and vegetables for lunch, and another shake for dinner.< /p>

I hate to sound like a kid but did you get in any trouble doing that? This is day 3 and it seems like Im getting worse mentally. Physically I'm ok. Im not dizzy like the first day but it's like food is consuming my brain majority of the day when I'm sleep. I'm starting to feel like I made the wrong choice :-(

I hate to sound like a kid but did you get in any trouble doing that? This is day 3 and it seems like Im getting worse mentally. Physically I'm ok. Im not dizzy like the first day but it's like food is consuming my brain majority of the day when I'm sleep. I'm starting to feel like I made the wrong choice :-(

It's like you have been reading my mind. I think about food 24/7 now... Never was like that before. The doubts creep in sometimes. Just have to remember - living off of Protein drinks isn't normal, or how it is going to be long term with the band. My hope is that once we get adjustments and are eating good food, just less of it, things will get easier.

And no - I wasn't allowed any food on the pre op diet and I haven't cheated.

I really like the Unjury brand protein- order online at unjury.com. I love the chocolate splendor- tastes like chocolate milk. I also use the vanilla, mix with oj and some strawberries. They also have unflavored you can mix in anything and a chicken broth that actually tastes a lot like Lipton.

I don't start my pre-op diet until next week, but my instructions include a Protein Shake for breakfast and lunch and then lean meat and vegetables for dinner. It sounds like you would benefit mentally by eating a little bit of lean meat such as chicken breast or fish. I've also heard that some drs. allow hard boiled egg whites. It seems strange that so many people have been given different pre-op instructions. Anyone agree?

I completely agree. I'm working with TrueResults in Arizona and I don't have a surgery date yet but have started the pre-op diet in the hopes that when we do get insurance approval we can get moving on this quickly. I am supposed to have a Protein Shake for breakfast, one for lunch and then 6oz of lean meat and vegetables for dinner. I'm absolutely forbidden to have Snacks and I have to meet 800-1200 calories and 70-120 grams of Protein each day. Can anyone say constipated?? LOL

I use Water with my GNC shake. I called surgeon and true results today. True results says I can have a meal ( fish or chicken) w green veggies. The surgeon didn't call bk but I reread his paper and it says liquid diet. Ugh

I drink Isogenix shakes. They taste very good and have plenty of Protein w/o a lot of fake stuff that's bad for you. You have to mail order them, so it might be to late for some folks, but if you have a week before you start your liquid diet, give it a try.