Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Going To Tell Anyone About Your Surgery???

I told a few of Co workers ( two of which had WLS) and close family and a few friends, certainly not everyone I know. I did share it with two people that are over weight and workout like I do, I thought would be understanding and they were totally rude. They changed their time when i made it clear the decision had been made and that i was just sharing. My BMI was almost 40.

I haven't told anyone really, just my closest cousin. I can pretty much say that we are sisters. Oh an obviously my parents know. I don't think it's because I'm nervous to tell anyone, it's more of that I know that when it comes to a big decision like this, I can get so easily persuaded. I don't need anybody shoving their half assed opinion down my throat ( sorry for the language lol but i tell it like how it is)

I am scheduled to have surgery June 6th and the only person that knows is of course my wife. I work in the healthcare industry and have had a family member who has had gastric. The perception from the the majority is usually good but I have seen the flipside.

Individuals finding out and mocking the person or judging. I honeslty do not care what anyone thinks of me because I have been a big guy my whole life have alot of friends, never depressed etc. Though its time I have a baby on the way and need to be healthy. I have been on HTN meds for the last 7 year and I have tried all the diets. This is not the easy way, maybe for the first year when the weight comes off but it is maintaining the weight.

I workout and run, just did a 5k last month. So when people ask im telling them i am eating right and worknig out which will not be a lie. Everyone is different, so not judging anyones decision. Good luck everyone.

I have a sign outside my apt... or i should have one at least. Lol

Ive told everyone except my MOM. She would kill me if she knew.

I have had nothing but support and praise for doing something that others want to do. Even skinny ppl and guys are super supportive. I dont have a husband or bf so i think its kinda ballzy to advertise but if i can help just ONE person by sharing my situation, i know that ive done a good thing i can be proud of.

I have only had negative things from one person my sister-n-law, she is a very large lady but must have a magic mirror, because she thinks she is so little. She has me by about 60 to 80 lbs. We were at a birthday party for my brother-n-law yesterday and everytime she fixed her something large and gross to eat she would look at me and so, "oh, you cant have any of this can you". I just said "If I wanted it, I would eat it, but I have a goal in mind of becoming a healthier, slimmer ME in the very near future." Her boyfriend said to her, "you need to shut up, your fatter than she is." My husband and my mother-n-law nearly fell out of their seats. Gotta love the honesty in men. ;):)

@twinsforme that is awful that she would do that! I don't know why so many women are caddy like that. We went out last night to Celebrate a friends birthday at a local bar/night club. I was with my BFF who is a size 3 and her sister in law who is a 0. They are very pretty and friendly girls. Our husbands were at the table watching us and as we were dancing (so we were no threat to those on the prowl) I noticed a group of about 6 ladies who were larger and a table of 5 or so average weight ladies who were glaring at us on the dance floor. I smiled at all but got "the eyes". I doubt it was for me and my size 12 more the caddy towards my skinny friends. Its sad so many people in life are so unhappy that they want everyone to be somehow less than them. Good for you for standing up for yourself and hang in there because I am sure she will only get worse as you get thin. I am preparing myself for that with some of my friends who are larger than me. Some people can never be happy for anyone else!

I always leave my sister-n-law wondering where she bought the fun house mirror that makes her think she looks skinny.

My close friends and family know. My dad seems to want to tell the whole world though.

Dads Eah?? I wnet for my first fill 2days ago. Dad came in the nurses room to watch ( mom wasn't keen). Dad decided to tell the nurse that I was 'born hungry'. He apparently had to feed me 15mins after being born.

Why do parents feel the need to embarrass you? I should be used to him now ;0/

I truly believe this is definately your choice and what best suits your situation. I was very open about my procedure and I felt that for me I needed to be open about it, because it would make me more accountable for making sure I succeded as to not be seen as a failure, but that was my choice. I also work for Allergan the maker of the band, so I am proud of that as well.

I'm telling a select few about the hernia, and only my husband about the band. I'm not even telling my kids. I'm just not interested in hearing any criticism or being judged. My husband and I made this decision for my health and that is between the two of us. I am looking forward to being thinner, but not looking forward to people noticing or commenting. It's just a very personal issue for me and I don't want to be asked any questions or hear any opinions that I don't ask for. I don't know how I will feel about it in a few months or when the weight loss is noticeable. Maybe I'll tell the world, but probably not.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Honestly, if I didn't have to tell my husband, I probably wouldn't have even told him, but that's not really possible.

Still waiting to schedule my surgery... just a lot of ifs, ands, or buts to go through...

For me, my husband and my parents know. Before surgery, I plan to tell my grandmother and our pastor. Really that's it.

I work in a salon/spa with a lot of beautiful, thin women that don't really like themselves. I LOVE ME (just not the fatness!) and have a hard enough time keeping my self esteem up when I'm around them that I can't even imagine the "trying-to-be-positive" negative remarks they would make about this.

But I ultimately agree with what most people have said. It's a personal decision for you to make. As long as you have a good support system, anyone else is just a choice.

This was great to read. I've been struggling with this myself.

Part of my reason to hold back is that my own sister reacted badly to me telling her I was considering it. Of course, I will wind up telling my siblings and my mom already knows. My husband knows (he got his band in 2010). I don't think I will tell anyone at work. I will likely just keep it to my immediate family and close friends. As someone else said - if I'm asked, I won't lie...but I won't volunteer the information. It's not anyone's business!

I also have the advantage (never thought I'd say that before!) that most of my weight is in my middle, so it will probably take a while for people to really notice and even then, most people won't notice my weight loss through work clothes for a while.