Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Going To Tell Anyone About Your Surgery???

I have only told a few people about my choice to have surgery (May 25th). I don't really want people to know because I think that they will judge me. In fact, one of the people that I did tell told me that they didn't think that I needed it. I know she means well. She is a large gal, as well. I know she knows what it is like, but she is a good deal bigger than me. I considered the idea that I just don't look big to her because she is bigger than me. Does that make sense? Don't get me wrong, she wasn't cruel to me or anything. She just felt that I was doing something radical. The other 2 people I have told are very supportive and totally understand. I do wonder what I will tell people once I start losing weight, however. I have contemplated making up something a little more "natural" sounding as an excuse for my sudden weight loss. :P What are you folks doing? Who have you told? What did they think about it? Please share!

You should do what you feel comfortable with.

I've told my close friends and a few family members, I figure anyone who is a real friend will be supportive and understanding.

I told immediate family, very few friends, and some ladies from the gym. In general I tell people that I am watching what I eat and exercising. Since I stay below 1200 cal a day and have been doing 1-2 hours of cardio a day it's the truth. I really can't stand food police. Since I am very restrictive in my food choices if I decide to have a REALLY small piece of birthday cake at work: I don't feel guilt about it. You can be guarenteed however that some food policeperson will be there to call me out about it. Remember you can't unring a bell. If you tell someone at work EVERYONE will know. I personally don't need the headache.

I have told everyone except for my hubby's mom, and 2 sisters and their families. I had my surgery more than a year ago, saw them at Christmas 75 pounds down and the only one who said anything was my MIL about 3 hours after we first got there! All I said is that I watch my calories, get my Protein in, and exercise. Which is what I do, with a little help from the band!

I pretty much told everyone about my surgery I'm not ashamed about it not that anyone who doesn't is..but for me its not really any issue who knows..I could care less if people try and judge or have opinions about it...I'm doing this for me to better myself and everyone I have told so far is supportive there have been a few ppl that say ?"ohh why? u don't need to do that"..but they usually shut it when I ask them how they know what I NEED lol

I only told my immediate family mom, dad , and sisters . I told my boss I had to take days off for personal reasons

I have been fat all of my adult life. I had my oldest daughter when I was 18 and managed to gain 100 pounds while I was pregnant. I figured she should've weighed about 90 more pounds than she did when she was born!! :lol: At any rate, no one in my current life (apart from my 2 brothers) has ever seen me without all of the fat. I was 130 before I had my daughter and am 225 now. My goal is to get back to that weight if at all possible. I have heard some folks say that people have been worried about them, think they might be ill, etc. I just wonder how to confront situations like that (or others) without disclosing. I have arthritus in my back pretty bad, so I won't be able to play the "I went to the gym" card, but I do plan to walk and ride my bike. I guess I could just chalk it up to that.... and eating less. I actually don't have a terrible diet. I just eat to much of whatever it is that I am eating. :blink:

I've only told my immediate family and really close friends. All but one were very supportive and the one that wasn't told me she thinks that I'm doing the WRONG thing and she knows that I will fail! After all of her put downs and negativity I ended our friendship and have been very happy ever since.

Other than that, I just tell people that I'm watching my calories, eating high Protein foods, low carbs, and very low sugar, and working out! :)

Just remember, YOU did this for yourself, not for anyone else.

I wish you all the very best in your journeys!! :D

Only on an as needed basis. My immediate family knows (parents, grandma, in-laws) and my boss. I will share with others who could benefit, but my weight has always been a very personal struggle for me.

I tell just about everyone. I am so big, I generally get support and/or questions about the surgery. I lost a bunch before surgery and looking to the future and if people don't like it, that is their problem.

I don't plan on telling anyone. Currently only my husband knows of my June 13th surgery. I will probably end up telling my son and daughter-in-law but they will be sworn to secrecy. Why? I don't want the diet police talking behind my back if I eat something that they think I shouldn't. I am taking vacation for my surgery so no one at my work will know. It's not like I am embarrassed, but we all know there are those out there that will tempt us to eat things we shouldn't. But if I can say I am cutting back, eating the right foods, and exercising more without using the word DIET, they will not make such a big of it. Does this make sense?

Good Luck with your surgery!

IN THE BEGINNING, I ONLY TOLD MY BEST FRIEND, DAD AND HUSBAND. WASNT SURE HOW THE WHOLE THING WOULD PAN OUT AND DIDNT WANT TO HAVE TO EXPLAIN MY FAILURE TO ANYONE ELSE. HOWEVER THE PROCEDURE HAS BEEN EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL. NOW I WILL TELL ANYONE WHO ASKS. I AM PROUD OF ME AND GIVE CREDIT TO WHAT MADE IT POSSIBLE. DURING THE WEIGHT LOSS PROCESS, I WOULD ONLY GIVE CREDIT TO THE DIETING AND EXERCISING THAT WAS ALSO A REQUIREMENT TO GET THE WEIGHT TO COME OFF. THE SAME THINGS THAT EVERYONE SAYS IS TRUE, YOU HAVE TO EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE. THE BAND JUST MAKES IT EASIER TO NOT OVEREAT IN THE PROCESS. GOOD LUCK. MY SUGGESTION IS TO KEEP YOUR SUPPORT CIRCLE SMALL UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT THE WHOLE THING FOR YOURSELF FIRST. ITS A LOT TO FIGURE OUT AND YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT IN PEACE.

Follow your gut instinct. I told my family and a few co-workers. My family was highly supportive and my co-workers were supportive. I have two particular co-workers that are negative about everything tho and complain alot so if they ask me I am going to straight up redirect them on to something else! LOL! The last thing I need is some old bird buttin into my business just so they can indirectly put me down or be negative!

I told family and a few good friends before I had the procedure done- also not sure how it was going to pan out. But in the last few months as I've gotten to my goal weight, I have answered people truthfully when they ask how I lost all the weight. I am not ashamed at all and am very proud of my progress with the band. I want people to know the option is out there if they need it.

I am telling everyone. I even posted it on my Facebook! I also post videos on YouTube! I have gotten some people telling me horror stories of people they know. I just tell them that everyone is different, and you have to follow the rules! I have to ask some of them to just stop repeating the stories to me. They almost made me to afraid to have it. But I am not letting it get to me now. I want this sooooo bad! I have had weight problems for a long time, and I sometimes will lose the weight just to gain it back again. So I know this is what I need to help me lose it and keep it off!!

I am doing this for me. So I can enjoy my life. People will either support me, or they can go on about their own life! LOL!

I have health problems that are made worse by my weight. So I have to lose the weight for good!

Good Luck Everyone!!!