Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sunday Morning Rant

I didnt have one foot in the grave, and the cosmetic effect of this surgery was probably the largest factor in my decision - and I'm not ashamed of that. I hated how I looked, hated myself, was miserable. Now I'm proud of what I've achieved. I was a low BMI too, 36 at surgery but to me that was the fattest I had ever been and the fattest I ever wanted to become.

BUT - huge but - how many health problems have I forestalled by doing this? I still got cancer, but my colorectal surgeon said to me outright that the likelihood of a permanent colostomy if I hadnt lost all this weight was very very high - reason being that my cancer was low in the rectum, very difficult to access so far down in the pelvis. Yes, I have a nice wide, shallow pelvis that is a big factor, but being able to a) get into the area though a huge mound of abdominal fat and b ) stretch the remaining colon past all that flubber is very difficult in obese people.

High blood pressure, cholesterol and heart attacks run in my family, strongly. But my stats are perfect. They sure werent six years ago, not terrible, but not great either. My excellent fitness is the strongest factor I have going for me to prevent cancer recurrence - exercise is a huge preventative - I never could have achieved that without the band, it was a complete package for me.

My energy, my health, my ability to beat a deadly disease, I'm just not sure I would have even had the courage to go to my doctor to report that my bowel habits had changed because I was so ashamed and embarrassed of my body. I've had every man and his dog up my backside in the past two years, I've had to be naked on an operating table four or five times, I've had to have treatment every day for six weeks naked on the lower half in front of two very nice youg guys - all horrible invasive, traumatic but so so much more bearable because I wasnt totally consumed with thinking that THEY were thinking what a horrible fat old slug. It sounds so trivial in the face of how sick i was but it really realy mattered to me and made the whole thing easier. It could have all been so different, I could be sitting here today with a permanent colostomy hanging off my huge bulging gut, weighing god knows what now, I'm pretty sure in my old life the stress would have caused me a large weight gain. Instead I had the focus of keeping a strong hold of what I'd achieved and that got me through it, even though people thought I was insane to still be running and going to the gym whilst having chemo.

Nuff said, its life changing no matter WHAT your reasons for doing it.

Agreed!!!

I'm doing this because after 42 years of dieting, I've finally given up trying to do it on my own. I don't give up easily( obviously) but I cannot do it or I would have in 42 years. Oh, I can lose it ! But just like everyone who is on this journey I cannot keep it off. I am shooting for a September surgery date and I really have researched and studied the lap band and I feel like this could really finally be it for me. I am so ready to get started. Everyone here has been so supportive and informative , it's really been a huge help to me. I appreciate all of you sharing your stories.

I am 27 yrs old, I was 26 when I got my band. No I didn't have any major health concerns but had been over weight since I was 11. I had tried every diet in the book with no success so I decided to have the band to AVOID any health issues in he future. I think it is such a wonderful thing that people who can try and try to lose weight with little or no success can now have the opportunity to have the band and get the help they need to improve their health. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago...

Congrats to you, but I do think that that many do this becuase they want to prevent themselves from getting so unhealthy that they end up where you are. I do not think that one should have to wait until they have one foot in the grave to make this decision. It's all about wanting to live healthier at any stage. Glad to have you as an example of someone that has been sucessful.

Thanks and congrats on your successes. I haven't been banded yet- still working through my insurance hoops. I've been heavy all my life and chose to get banded because I'm not even thirty and I have high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, nerve damage in leg, knees starting to give out, fatty deposits on my liver, acid reflux... the list goes on and on. I've always wanted to lose weight for vanity's sake-- I feel very embarrassed and invisible because of my weight but the thing that pushed me over the edge of decision is health. I recently thought, this is no joke, I am going to die if I keep living like this. I was scared. Am scared. All of my doctors are very supportive of my decision. I hope to be another happy health success story. I may even throw on a summer dress just for fun.