Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sunday Morning Rant

Ok, My Sunday Morning Rant.....

First let me start with this...My brother died at the age of 60. My sister at 64. Both confined to a Nursing Home at a early age.

So, there I was, 58, sitting in my Dr's office. Diabetes, cholesterol, triglycerides all off the chart. Already had one Heart Attack resulting in Cardiac Surgery. My Dr. looked me right in the eye and said the Dominoes have already started to fall, and unless I loose 50-70 lbs I will surely die soon.

When I had my first consult for lap band surgery, it was looked upon as a "Aggressive, radical, last resort option" So when I was informed it would force me to give up foods I like, make me sick/vomit if I don't follow the rules, etc..what choice did I have??

I informed all 3 of my Dr.s, PCP, cardiologist and Surgeon, that I was not going to be a "namby pampy" and I wanted to be as aggressive as I could be. No backing down!

BTW, it is these same Dr.'s that either want to put me on display and/or write me up in their journals, all of which I declined.

I have noticed since then that this surgery has become more acceptable, almost fashionable. People's motives are not so much life or death, but how they will look in that new summer dress. Which is fine, the more eye-candy the better. There are many roads people take, with many different viewpoints. I will NEVER tell anyone they're wrong, so as to deter their motivation.

But there are still some out there, like me, who feel they have one foot in the grave and are thinking about funeral expenses. It is for THESE people that I still hang around these websites. I want THESE people to know that I am here...I took this thing as far and hard as I could, and I am standing out here on the edge....successful in 13 months. And it can save your life. I want THESE people to know that IF you choose the same road as I did, I will be there.

I WILL dance at my Daughters wedding this October, and God Willing, I WILL spoil my grand kids to no end!

I exercise like a person possessed. When I first started, I use to look at the young 21 y/o staff member and think to myself "I sure hope she knows CPR!" But I feel I'm now past that. If it was going to happen, it would have then. I always say I'm running FOR something when in effect, perhaps I'm running FROM something always keeping a few steps ahead.

OK that's it. So much for ranting, wanted to get it off my chest. Sorry If I offended anyone, that was not my intention.

So Adios, have a good day, springtime is just around the corner.

Thank You B-52!! Well said. I might not have one foot in the grave, but I am standing a little too close to the opening. I have a horrible family history heart disease, diabetes etc......and my parents aren't overweight!!! so my health is compounded with my additional pounds.

I may not be the heaviest person on this site....but over the last 18 months I have seen my health decline dramatically!!!

I am too young to die.....or even worse have a stroke that leaves me a vegetable!! I have a family to take love and care for. My father had his first heart attack at the age of 45.....and would have considered him in good shape (except that at that time he smoked)...but physically he was at his peak. So if these are the genes I bring to the table I better get my act together.

I may be only 40 but I feel 70. Something is different this time. I will be successfull!!! there is no other option....besides a early death.

Thanks for the reality check. I just motivates me more to know that others have done it. And i will too.

Congratulations on your success! I do not find your post offensive. I am definately one that is excited to one day fit in a summer dress, although, Ive seen both my parents in their 60s still fighting obesity and many obesity related health problems and knew I was headed in the same direction. That was the primary reason I decided to get this surgery. Now my own mother has seen my journey, even though in early on and still have a ways to go, she has started considering wls to regain her health. I used to keep my surgery a secret but have realized that I would have never got to where I am today, almost 40LBS down, without hearing other people stories. So now I tell anyone who approaches me asking what I've done to lose weight.

Thanks for your comments. In a similar boat, 60, 8 years with diabetes, HTN, Choles, etc. No one said you're gonna die from it but I am a nurse, so I know. I wanted to beat the diabetes in particular, just didn't quite grasp how much the other things would improve as well. I am only 2 months out and still no restriction at 4.5 in a 10, but exercising more than I have in at least 15 years and all my labs are in great shape. I just want to stay motivated and fight that feeling of "you're gonna fail again" that tends to stick its nose in there every once in a while. Thanks for your comments!

great post ! im 53 yrs old and have a horrible family background of cancer. i am the only one in my immediate family who has NOT had cancer, and a grandparent on both sides has died of it. tick, tock , tick, tock ,,,,,,,,,,,, so, one of the reasons i got banded was if and when i do get cancer i want to be strong enough to put up a good fight ! studies show that being obese and the lifestyle that goes with it dramatically in creases your chances of cancer. well , guess what cancer?? you can kiss my ass, because i am not going down without a fight ! im 3 months banded , down 22 lbs, exercise 3-4 times a week and look and feel much better ! only 60 lbs to go ! i also have a ton more energy (thankyou Water fitness classes and walking !) so if any one is doubting themselves and questioning as to why they should get banded, think about it. BEST. DECISION. EVER.

I don't consider myself "sucessful" with this yet, even though I've lost 105 lbs. Struggling right now to lose the last 50. I don't really care about what summer dresses I can fit in...I just want to be around long enough to see my kids and grandkids raised. I have a lot of living left to do. Never had a diagnosis of HTN, diabetes or high cholesterol but I figured it was just a matter of time. Sometimes I read these posts and everyone is so upbeat and looking forward to surgery then in a few weeks they're saying "oh god what have i done...it hurts...i'm starving"...and I did the same thing. I wasn't prepared for what *really* happens after you get the surgery. If you're considering the surgery, please do yourself a favor and talk to people who have had it and find out the cons as well as the pros. Most people will still get the surgery, just make sure you get the one thats right for you. All surgeries are just a tool to help, you have to be willing to work the tool.

I am one of those that did it for vanity reasons. I knew i was too pretty to be fat. Even at 276 pounds and a 47 BMI (age 38) I had no health problems at all - YET. Of course if I stayed the course I'd have them. But really, who cares WHY we do it as long as we do it??? so great post B-52 and congrats on your success. BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!! ;)

B52 I want to thank you for hanging around and giving advice! I am halfway to my goal weight and have yet to be banded. I know banding is a tool I need to keep the weight off and although I do not look forward to some of the possible side effects I know it is something I need. I enjoy reading your posts because you say it like it is, we all need encouragement but without reality, encouragement won't do us much good! Thanks again for all the information you provide to all of us on this site!

Thanks, I appreciate that.

All anyone can, and SHOULD do is voice their own personal experiences, and let the reader decide what is relevant or not.

There is no right or wrong, just people telling how it is for them.

The only thing I do take exception to is anyone who responds with answers/advice based upon what they may have been told, or read somewhere.

That's nothing more than second or third hand knowledge. Example someone who has been banded less than a month telling me what it is like to be in the Green Zone....Please!

There are a few people here who have reached their goals, been through just about everything with this surgery, and has their own story to share.

What is interesting, is that although the stories/ outcomes are all basically the same, their methods and experiences differ. And that is a good thing, because you cannot expect everyone to be from the same cookie cutter so to speak.

When I applied for banding the first time 3 years ago, insurance turned me down because I didn't have 3 of their 5 diseases. Even though 4 of the dieseases were in my family. I applied again in July last yast year still with no diseases and was accepted but had to go through nutrient classes for 6 months. I will do this for me and my family. I'm 43 with hubby and 2 teenage boys. I wanted to go hiking with my boys like I use to. I wanted to grow old with my husband. I want to play with my grand kids. These are my top reasons for doing this. Oh and to NOT get even 1 of their 5 diseases. Lol

i have a long family history of diabetes on both sides...my father died from a stroke before he was 60 and his mother from complications of diabetes. my maternal grandmother has one leg, one eye, a stint in her heart, and is on kidney dialysis. in january the two oral meds i was taking for diabetes were no longer cutting it and my doc was going to put me on insulin. since i was banded in february i am off all meds..my sugars are in control and i no longer have to take meds for blood pressure and high choloesterol. i am 36...i still have strong desires to fit into that summer dress!!! strong...desires...!! congrats to you b-52, i hope i am as successful with this tool as you have been. i have seen you everywhere in the forums giving helpful advice and telling it like it is! keep it up:)

Before I got banded I went along to a support group. There was a guy there that was really inspiring. He had told by his Dr that he had to do something or he would be dead within 3 months.He had diabetes, alcohol issues and other health problems. He got his band and continued to inspire everyone at meetings.

He lived life to the fullest. Went on a number of cruises and was one of the few people that actually lost weight on a cruise. He was so excited when he could fit into a pair of speedos. In total he lost over 60kg. His health improved dramatically.

He never ceased to be an inspiration.

Sadly he passed away suddenly earlier this year. The positive here is that he did extend his life by over 3 years and he lived those 3 years to the fullest. Without his band he probably would not have managed to see so much of the world and have such a wonderful time.

I am 42 years old, and can barely walk because I have bone on bone arthritis in one knee. I am too young for a knee replacement, I have two young kids, and I am sick of watching them from the sofa while they have fun. My dad is disabled b/c of his weight and diabetes, and it's rampant in my family. There is no way around it- I am doing this for my life, so I can be there for my family. That being said, I have been overweight my entire life and can't wait to wear cute clothes, ride the rides at story land with my kids, and generally do all the "fun" stuff that I have been missing. That isn't why I am doing the surgery- but it is my "carrot" and I am focusing on the fun stuff to help me get past the mourning I expect I will do for food and my old way of life. I think you need both sides of this- if we just wanted to see our BMI go down , it would be a lot harder to stay motivated!!

B52..geat post and congrats on your hard work/success. I am new on the journey. Banded 3/21/12 and am down 15lbs. I am 60 with 10+ comorbidities including all you listed. For me this is about extending my life to see granbabies grow up. My meds were not working and drs were always talking gloom and doom about my numbers. Already, my meds are being reduced and my bloodpressure and blood sugar much better. Walking or moving at all is very painful and I walk with a walker if I must walk at all. I hope this disability improves so I can start burning calories. Your story is a real inspiration of hope and please share your experience, stength and hope again. MelVan

Love this post. I was on the smaller side with my BMI at 35 but I was prediabetic, high blood pressure since 30 yrs old, high choloestral, tired all the time. I watched my mother die a slow horrible death thanks to diabetes and decided I didnt want to to that to my kids. This is the best I have felt in 20 years and I am only 45. This was the single best thing I have ever done for myself and looking better was just the icing.

Kat :rolleyes: