Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having a love affair with my scale and I can't seem to end it. I weigh myself everyday when I first wake up and before I go to bed. I'm sure this is abnormal but I can't stop. Am I the only one who suffers from this scale addiction?

If you don't have a positive response I would appreciate it if you keep your thoughts private. Please and Thank you.

I think it's exciting to see every ounce melt away. But, on the flip side, my Dr has recommended only weighing once a week because at some point the scale will not be so giving and it may hurt motivation, or there are those days that the weight fluctuates a couple pounds. I have heard of some people giving their scales away and only weighing at Dr appointments because they become so stuck on numbers, they forget about all the other amazing changes going on.

I personally weigh myself in the morning every day and plan on continuing until it becomes harmful. The scale shows me immediately if I have not had a good food day, so it keeps me in check.

I have always weighed myself every day since being banded, i think weighing late at night isnt necessary as your true weight will be after you sleep not before :).. I saw on the biggest loser Australia the other day that the doc said to weigh every day as u can monitor it closely and do something about it before it becomes a problem. I did used to stress a little in the beginning but i got to love the scales now and use them as a tool like the band :) Now i know exactly what food will make me heavy, how much salt i can take etc, to me when i was diabetic, it would be like not monitoring my sugar every day to find out if a food has spiked it .. I got as heavy as i was by not weighing myself, i will not make that mistake again :)

I'm having a love affair with my scale and I can't seem to end it. I weigh myself everyday when I first wake up and before I go to bed. I'm sure this is abnormal but I can't stop. Am I the only one who suffers from this scale addiction?

If you don't have a positive response I would appreciate it if you keep your thoughts private. Please and Thank you.

it sounds great to me.. lol.. its been a long long time since i ever had any sort of regard for my scales... way to go.. how quick is your weight loss? judy

I have always weighed myself every day since being banded, i think weighing late at night isnt necessary as your true weight will be after you sleep not before :).. I saw on the biggest loser Australia the other day that the doc said to weigh every day as u can monitor it closely and do something about it before it becomes a problem. I did used to stress a little in the beginning but i got to love the scales now and use them as a tool like the band :) Now i know exactly what food will make me heavy, how much salt i can take etc, to me when i was diabetic, it would be like not monitoring my sugar every day to find out if a food has spiked it .. I got as heavy as i was by not weighing myself, i will not make that mistake again :)

and i think that was one of my problems as well. i just stopped using the scales.. and at the same time stopped thinking about how much food was going into my mouth. very convenient. like ignoring the dog and then it comes up behind me and bites me. lol.

I step on the scale pretty much everyday but I don't take it seriously as I really don't trust my scale. I will only use the numbers on scales I can trust for my updates. So far I only use my Dr's scale! :)

I step on the scale pretty much everyday but I don't take it seriously as I really don't trust my scale. I will only use the numbers on scales I can trust for my updates. So far I only use my Dr's scale! :)

scales can be notoriously off. i probably will do the same. once im banded i will be so aware of my weight that jumping on the scales will be hard to resist.. lol. i will have to not depend on them though. it could be very misleading .

I also became addicted to the scale after surgery. I was on mine almost every time I was near yet, plus they have medical scales in most of the bathrooms in my office building so I was also tempted to weigh in there. I decided to give up weighing myself for Lent so it's been two weeks since my last weigh in, I've got a doctor's appoinment tomorrow so I'll find out if the lack of constant checking helped or hurt

Give up the night weighing. You are likely to be heavier then than in the morning.

I'm one that weighs myself every morning, then again if I go to the gym. It does not bother me, I am used to how weight can go up, then down, then up again.

I can miracously loose 5 lbs overnight, then gain 4 lbs back the next day, then drop one the following, etc, etc. But the average does go down slowly.

Well it's quite a normal response to jump on the scales as often as you do and in some ways its good becaues it keeps your goals firmly in your mind, although twice a day is a little too frequent.

Changes don't this quickly anyway and unfortunately doing this means you'll often be feeling down about yourself if you haven't lost anything.

Once or twice a week on the same day/time is more than enough.

Yes I weigh every morning and every night and if I weigh the same thing at night as I did in the morning that means when I weigh in the morning I will be less :)

I'll give my 2 cents on this one.

I was addicted to the scale too, watching it go up and down use to drive me crazy.

I told my surgeon about my hang up, "I thought I was doing the rite thing.." and he told me.

Throw the Damn thing out ! and only count the weight when your weighed at the Dr.'s Office.

I couldn't believe it... Then he told me that since they weigh people all day long, that every day or other day,

a person comes in and calibrates them so they can be accurate, and you can't do that at home and be accurate.

So you will always get a different read out. I weighed myself 3 times and went with the numbers that came up twice.

If they were different all 3 times, I just said forget this and gave up. Also I went threw about 3 different scales in this process,

and the problem was still there. Also never weigh yourself on carpeting, it has to be a flat floor.

So I hung on to it for a while, then in discus t I threw it out.

I only got weighed at the Dr.'s Office, and sure enough,, I started to see weight loss. To this day,, I don't own one....

If you insist on weighing yourself do it in the morning, and drop your bath robe, and get weighed, but do this once a week.

Pick a day like Monday, and see what you lost or didn't.

I go by my cloths size also..

Guilty!! I weigh myself in the morning and at night. I losa about two pounds from night to morning, so I can tell by the evening if I might have lost weight that day.

If I am up, I look again at what I ate and see what I need to do differently. Like yesterday I can tell I ate to much salty stuff. I need to drink alot of Water today.

I think if you use it right and dont get discouraged by it then there should be no problem.

Thanks for all the replies! I really don't take the scale that seriously and I know my weight is going to be different from morning to night. I was really just curious to know how many others hop on the scale as often as I do:)