Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I missing? Why are ppl leaving?

Oh, and by the way, if anyone does not believe me that this one person is causing the problems, then ask each of the people who have left recently why they left... you'll be amazed at the answer!

Well, again, I have to ask: why not just ignore them? If they were committed posters on this board, and loved it here, why not just over-look this person and move on? Leaving doesn't solve anything. If they loved it here, they've allowed ONE person to take something from them that they love. Why would you give someone you don't agree with that much power over you?

It seems to me that there's *has* to be a deeper reason. Like maybe - "if we all leave, they'll kick So and So off the board!" (which is childish at best) I don't presume to know the answer to that, or the real reasons they left (only they do, honestly. No matter what they tell anyone else, only they know the real reasons) but for the life of me, I just can't see leaving a place you love because of one person you disagree with. If we all did that, we'd all have NO place to go.

No one likes everyone all the time.

Again, it's not just one person. I'm sorry, but "he started it!" just doesn't fly on a message board. Just because someone tries to hit you with a LBT bat doesn't mean you have to retaliate in kind. That's like saying ...err, nm, no political references here!

Hey - not to sound totally stupid and ignorant here - but is there really an 'ignore' feature and I missed it?

Or are you just saying to generally avoid those threads and posts that iritate you by 'ignoring' them?

i think there is a real ignore feature. you can ignore aa particular person's posts. at least i have seen other boards with this feature. its a great feature!

Ignore a hijacker...

Hard to do when they keep coming back in your face everywhere you go, that is why I used the term hijacker.

If you understood the situation, you'd see that they left the board because the hijacker is turning it into something else, not what it was.

And, no, I do not have to leave because of one person. That is why I am making my stand now, and making it clear that they bother me personally, and I do not approve of their actions. Period.

I never asked you to agree with me.

I never said "he/she started it", I simply stated that most conflicts begin with the actions of one. I do not beleive that hijacking a board should fly either.

Again, you are free to ignore my postings if they bother you.

We have an ignore feature on this site?

Yep, in the same way that you can add people to a Buddy list, you can add them to an Ignore list. Click on their name to go to their public profile and you'll see the options there.

I never thought one person could hijack a entire forum. Still, I suppose it's possible? In life, it's often a small minority that can ruin it for everyone else, I suppose.

Like others, I think its shame that the more experienced bandsters are leaving - for example, I really identified with "Jack". His experiences were a lot like my own when I was first banded, and it was great to hear I wasn't the only one with certain issues... If I remember, his description of the different kinds of PB was a revelation - and certainly helped me prepare for mine.

Ignore a hijacker...

Hard to do when they keep coming back in your face everywhere you go, that is why I used the term hijacker.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/profile.php?do=editlist

If you understood the situation, you'd see that they left the board because the hijacker is turning it into something else, not what it was.

Insulting my intelligence ("if you understood...") isn't going to win any arguments for you.

And, no, I do not have to leave because of one person. That is why I am making my stand now, and making it clear that they bother me personally, and I do not approve of their actions. Period.

It was a generic "you". Maybe you(Paul) didn't have to leave but others felt they did.

I never asked you to agree with me.

Never said ya did. But then again, doesn't mean I can't express my own opinion, does it?

I never said "he/she started it", I simply stated that most conflicts begin with the actions of one.

I'm not seeing a distinction.

Again, you are free to ignore my postings if they bother you.

You don't bother me, Paul. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm going to ignore you. I don't have to agree with you to respond, do I?

Two points

Quote: I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Author: Voltaire 1694-1778, French Historian, Writer

Quote: If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.

Author: Noam Chomsky 1928-, American Linguist, Political Activist

Geez I thought you Americans were big on the whole idea of freedom of speech J

Okay if you put their name in the ignore list they just won't be able to PM you right? Can you still see what they have written in a thread? If Not Avoidance sometimes is the only option. For peace sake that is. (Notice I said Peace:peace: not Pete lol.

in another board I belong to I have someone on ignore. When they post their name shows but underneath there is a little line that says "this person is on ignore" or something like that.

Jill,

I am confused. Why are you taking this personally? I was not referring to you in any way, nor was I insulting your intelligence.

I think you need to stop reading in between the lines of my post, believe me, if I wanted to insult someone, I would say it directly.

I absolutley reaspect your right to disagree with me, and to post your response, however, do not denigrate my feelings as to what I feel is happening on this board, and MY OPINION as to the cause.

I have the right to that opinion, as much as you have to yours.

Wow this thread is getting A LOT of attention... I wish some threads with posts about real band problems (small or big) would get JUST as much attention..... thats my 2 cents in a nutshell!

My fear with a hijacker isn't how it affects me. I'm a big girl and can handle myself. My true fear is what happens to someone who is new and doesn't understand some of these nuances. This place has literally saved my mental health at times...and I don't want anyone jeopardizing that for anyone else.

The person(s) that were causing me to get so frustrated has been rather quiet lately so it seems kind of silly that I am still thinking about this. But it’s not often that something gets so under my skin.

Megan