Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dont Get A Lapband

Ive wasted 6 years having a faulty band in me ive lost a few stone but this isnt down to the lapband its down to the fault

DR Galloway Glasgow fitted faulty band in my and for yeras Fluid or stomach contents have graduly been getting into the band and filling it up making me choke i am due to finally getting mine removed after i moved to a different country for help as Glasgow wasn't helping me

yesterday some blood was removed from the band hence i have gone onto emergency waiting list for removal but for years i have told surgeons something was getting in the band even when they discovered the Fluid was a murky colour

i am now seeking legal advice on Galloway and would deter anyone from using him or getting the band

only thing that's gonna work is hard work don't kid your self's its a nightmare

sleeping upright in bed as i choke if i lay down severe stomach pains chest pains and vomiting

its not nice have a good think about getting this band fitted please xx

Your Post title says "Don't Get A Lapband" when your post clearly has issues with the Doctor. NOT the band.

Very misleading to newbies posting here.

No there are 100s of failed Lapband users out there and i have just as much right to give my opinion as do sucsesful lapband users

if you dont like it tough

Your Dr seems to have been negligent so because of that you advise everybody that they should not get a lapband.

People get organ transplants and their bodies reject them - would you advise them not to get the transplant?

Women get pregnant and die in childbirth - does that mean people should stop getting pregnant?

You can get MRSA in hospital - does that mean noone should go into hospital.

You can have surgery for something minor and end up dead because of a blood clot or some other unforeseen complication.

You can take medication and have a serious allergic or anaphylactic reaction - should everyone give up taking medicine.

Yes you have had a bad experience and I am sorry about that. It sounds as though the NHS or whoever it is in Scotland messed up. That is hardly a good reason to advise others not to go ahead. If you want to caution others maybe you should make them aware of the risks of this particular Dr or the NHS in general.

Life itself is risky. There are no guarantees. Imagine trying to live your life without taking any risks - that life would be no life at all. You wouldn't be able to go outside your front door because you could get struck by lightning or run over by a bus. You certainly couldn't go in a car as that is one of the most dangerous things people do every day. But staying at home is dangerous too, that is where most accidents happen. You could:-

Have a fall

Burn yourself

Get electrocuted

Be poisoned by food, or chemicals or gas or plants

You certainly wouldn't want to have sex as that could involve catching a life threatening STI

You would probably be so bored sitting in your room wrapped in cotton wool to protect you and keep you warm that you would over indulge in food and then you would get fatter and fatter and fatter and probably die prematurely anyway from a stroke or heartattack

No there are 100s of failed Lapband users out there and i have just as much right to give my opinion as do sucsesful lapband users

if you dont like it tough

Yes there are hundreds of failed bandsters but the successful ones far outweigh them. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience and hope you find a way to become successful in your journey.

Ive wasted 6 years having a faulty band in me ive lost a few stone but this isnt down to the lapband its down to the fault

DR Galloway Glasgow fitted faulty band in my and for yeras Fluid or stomach contents have graduly been getting into the band and filling it up making me choke i am due to finally getting mine removed after i moved to a different country for help as Glasgow wasn't helping me

yesterday some blood was removed from the band hence i have gone onto emergency waiting list for removal but for years i have told surgeons something was getting in the band even when they discovered the Fluid was a murky colour

i am now seeking legal advice on Galloway and would deter anyone from using him or getting the band

only thing that's gonna work is hard work don't kid your self's its a nightmare

sleeping upright in bed as i choke if i lay down severe stomach pains chest pains and vomiting

its not nice have a good think about getting this band fitted please xx

I can only speak from my own experience and it has been a fantastic one. Since I have had such great success with the band, if I had a leak at this point I would beg them to put a new band in me.

I'm not sure I would have waited 6 years to switch doctors and solve the problem.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I wish everyone could have it the way I do. Have you thought about a new band, sleeve, or other WLS ?

I only know this poor person is in distress and scared- she just feels at this moment she may save you from same experience- give her a break,,, you happy with your band, great =I am too- but I also understand some are suffering and her telling you NOT to get one, will only change the minds of those not sure of what they really want to do. Again their decision. She just givng her experience apparently from another country. Hope things go well for you honey.

Since 95% of people on diets fail to reach goal weight and maintain that loss, what would you suggest we do?

Rossy - it sounds like a nightmare and I'm sorry you suffered for so long. Worse that it seems no one would take you seriously when you knew something wasn't right. And you're right, people should think long and hard about a decision such as this; it is a major surgery with lifelong effects. Good luck with your weight loss; I hope you find a solution that works for you.

I'm so sorry you had all these problems, and I sincerely hope you are able to undo all the damage, but that has nothing to do with the band and everything to do with the doctor being negligent.

There are far more people happy with their band than their unhappy people. Sadly, a great number of those unhappy with the band weren't successful because they sabotaged themselves rather than a faulty band. As for those that did all the right things and the band still didn't help? Unfortunately that happens, too. The band is a tool, not a magic bullet, and just like every other WLS out there what works for one won't necessarily work for all.

This title of this thread is extremely misleading, and to be honest, it's irresponsible. This should be titled "don't go to Dr. Glasgow" because your problem has nothing whatsoever to do with the Lap-Band.

Rossy, thank you for sharing YOUR experience and giving YOUR opinion. There are certainly risks associated with getting a band (regardless of the country or the doctor), A person needs to know the good, the bad, and the ugly and make an informed decision. I don't see you voicing YOUR opinion and telling people about YOUR experience any differently than those posting that it was the best thing that happen to THEM. Getting banded, not getting banded, or getting debanded is a personal choice. I was on the fence for awhile because of the risk associated with it, I have had my cheerleaders, and my naysayers, but ultimately, it became my decision. Every story counts, not just the good ones with happy endings. That being said, I am sorry it did not work out for you, but hope things will get better. Again thank you for sharing.

I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time with the band. It is a risk we all are told about. Everyone does need to knw and truly understand the risks. The most important part of your store to me is one do not go to that DR. And two no matter what dr you go to if your not being listened to or not getting good results consult another dr. Three always research dr before letting them work on you. I knw this doesn't help you rossy but you may help others to truly understand risk. I to hummingbird would be rebranded if possible.

@Elcee, you've said it all, thank you for your response to Rossy.

@Rossy, you definitely have a right to your opinion like everyone else on this forum, however; your title directly tells people don't get the lapband. Ive said this before that each persons experience is different. I did the research for well over a year that included the lapband, my surgeon and the facility where my surgery was performed. Therefore I knew the risks and the benefits. I wonder if you did the same. And please I'm not placing blame. However, I also find when things do not go "right" with the band or with most things in life. People (not necessarily you) tend to be one sided in their explanations. What is left out is what part they played in the bands failures.

I do wish you the best going forward, perhaps your title should have been "I should not have gotten the lap band"

#justsaying