Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Good luck with the quitting smoking, unfortunately I started back up withing 3 weeks after my band. Hoping to quit for good after new years! I love everything about my band so far, well almost:) . Everyone at Grand Traverse Surgery have been so nice. I recommend them strongly.

lamamama

I cannot believe how much weight you've lost since September! You must be sticking to your new nutrition plan to a "T"

I have 70 lbs. to loose to get to my goal weight, but when your 4'11" with a BMI of 40 and have had a stroke at age 36, taking off that weight and keeping it off will save my life. I'm sure I'll lose a lot slower than others that have a lot more to lose.

But I'm okay with that.

***just for an update***** it is 11:14 a.m. on Friday December 22nd and I haven't had a cigarette since last night at 5p.m.!!!!!

I don't have any on me.....I hope I can get thru this one hour at a time.

So far, so good!

Mary

Come on Mary... You can do this!!! We're pulling for ya!!!

Come here and update us daily. We'll give ya support!

I'm doing good! Every now and then I think about a cigarette, but it's weird, it's not a "craving" thing, I just think, "right now I'd be sneeking a smoke outside" and the thought would instantly be gone.

I put on my old winter coat yesterday to go outside to play with the kids.

I put my hands in the pocket and pulled out a cigarette, left over from a few weeks ago........didn't give it a second thought, crushed it up and threw it away.

So far, so good

That's GREAT! I'm so proud of you!!! I gave up pepsi a month before my surgery. I gave it up on my own to prove to hubby that I could. I still crave it from time to time but I haven't had any soda of any kind since July and I feel so much better for it. I drank like 4 cans a day prior to giving it up. Hubby didn't think I could.

You're doing the right thing!

Hi, me again! :)

WELL. We're getting new insurance starting January 1st. I googled it and found a document that lists weight loss surgery as a covered benefit, BUT I couldn't tell if it was a general list of coverages and exclusions, or if I stumbled onto some company's own customized policy. There was no company name attached to it, just the insurance (HAP PPO). Sooooo... there may be a chance, wooo-hoooo!!! Trying not to get my hopes up too high but dang... it's hard not to.

Here are my latest questions :eek: : With the Port Huron group and the Hurley group (which is 20 minutes from home for me), what additional fees did you all pay out of pocket, and what testing was mandatory? I've been raised from birth not to trust Flint doctors LOL... but your reports are all so glowing, and that's reassuring.

Anyway, any additional info you all can throw at me would be much appreciated!!

Hey guys I am glad to hear some positives about TC. I could have waited and had it done at PH. I would love to get to know you guys and have some support close to home.

Ladypitboss

Hello from another soon-to-be TC Bandster! (actually I live in Kalkaska)

When did you have your surgery in T.C.? It looks like your doing well. Way to Go!

Dr. Featherstone said he had only done 15 LB when I had my consultaton on Dec 12. He stated that all his patients were loosing more than expected and they were only 3-4 months post-op.

Have you had any complications?

How does he conduct the fills? Does he use flourascope?

I'm a little freaked out after reading some of the posts,

some Dr's are taking 5-10 sticks to hit the port and I'm not into needles that much!

I have my psych exam on 1/15 and after his results get to the Dr. I'll get a call for my final consult and hopefully get a surgery date scheduled around Feb/March.

Let me know how you're doing. Hearing others ups and downs can really provide some support when others have worries about this whole new life changing decision. :)

I chose Port Huron due to the fact that I had no additional out of pocket costs after paying the hospital fee of $100 and the surgeon fee of $50, both of which you pay on the day of your consultation. After that I paid nothing, my insurance paid the rest. There's no manditory support group and they do have a once a month support group, which is free to attend. I live MUCH closer to Flint and have to drive through flint everytime I goto PH for a check up but I chose not to go to Hurley just from people who told me to avoid that hospital and also I went to their website and wasn't very comfortable with doctors that graduated medical school from the Uof Bagdad, etc.

My doctor went to medical school in the US and has done hundreds of lapband surgeries. I also found him very easy going right from the seminar and knew he was someone I could feel comfortable going to for any problem.

My first choice had been Dr. Deol in Troy but I quickly changed my mind when I found out I'd be paying out of pocket prior to surgery a consult fee of $250, plus the fee for dietian (approx $100+), and the psych eval which was like $150 and you had to pay upfront the support group fee of $800. I couldn't afford that at the time.

Hi, me again! :)

WELL. We're getting new insurance starting January 1st. I googled it and found a document that lists weight loss surgery as a covered benefit, BUT I couldn't tell if it was a general list of coverages and exclusions, or if I stumbled onto some company's own customized policy. There was no company name attached to it, just the insurance (HAP PPO). Sooooo... there may be a chance, wooo-hoooo!!! Trying not to get my hopes up too high but dang... it's hard not to.

Here are my latest questions :eek: : With the Port Huron group and the Hurley group (which is 20 minutes from home for me), what additional fees did you all pay out of pocket, and what testing was mandatory? I've been raised from birth not to trust Flint doctors LOL... but your reports are all so glowing, and that's reassuring.

Anyway, any additional info you all can throw at me would be much appreciated!!

Thank you Josette!! I think that they'll be the first ones I talk to... I've done more checking and while we STILL don't have any paperwork for the new insurance, I've found more stuff online that indicates that it may be covered with them. :) IF it's not... do you happen to know what their self-pay cost is? (Almost afraid to ask...) Thanks!

I am sorry I left a few words out of my last post. I could have waited and had it done in TC but went with Port Huron instead. I didnt want to be anybody's first. I have heard alot about the TC patients and docs having port problems. I had Dr. Bhesania in PH and he never misses. The only problem is that he is in and out so fast I often forget questions I have for him. He told me last time that their clinic has results equivilant to RNY because of the follow up care. He is pretty strict about the schedule for the first fill. I didnt have one for 8 weeks. Then I have seen him once a month since then. Also the post op diet was a lot stricter than I have seen of other posters. It was 2 weeks of Clear Liquids and 2 weeks of full liquids then soft foods. I think all of this is WHY I havent had any problems. The PH team has done over 1300 surgeries and I think they got it down. Now I have heard great things about Featherstone and Nizzi in TC but I think the lack of experience is what scared me into taking an 8 hour round trip once a month. It really isnt all that bad. I get one whole day a month to myself and as I lose Birch Run is right on the way;). So far I have no regrets. My surgery was 6/16 and I am at 2.9cc in a 4cc band. Another thing about living so far away is that I have sneeked up on my sweet spots. I have had 5 fills. I do not want to risk being too tight and make a repeat trip.

This is great info you guys, thanks! The more I hear, the more impressed and hopeful I am. I'd much rather fill slowly as well and avoid as much of the yucky stuff as possible, and I have no problem sticking to the post-op diet if it keeps everything neat and tidy where it belongs with no complications! I've watched my aunt sabotage TWO gastric bypasses (first stomach stapling, then RNY) and I'm not gonna follow in her footsteps, that's for sure. Please, please with the insurance LOL...

Hi i had my LB done in Travers City on 9/6/06 i have lost 46 pounds i am doing good.I have had 3 fills doctor Featherstone does a good job .He is a good doctor and i would not worry about the lack of experence the whole staff is great and knows what they are doing. I was his second LB patient i was nervious at first but the surgery and after went so well that i would do it all again without a second thought.I have talked to a few other of Featherstones patients and they also are doing great. I wanted to let every one know Dr. Featherstone and his staff are great.

Gjdf52

Thanks for the update. It puts my mind at ease to hear your doing well. Having psych test next Mon. Wish me luck!

As soon as they get the results to Dr. Featherstone, I should be getting a call for another appt. I think that's when they schedule a surgery date.

I know there are just a handful of T.C. Bandsters, but as a future Bandster, it would be great if you'd keep us in the loop on this forum regarding your band.

(Hey everybody, have I mentioned that I've been smoke free for 18 days???) I can do this!

Good job on the nonsmoking Mary. I believe you will be quite pleased when you get your band!!! The team at Grand Traverse Surgery is wonderful. I see Dr. Nizzi there. He's terrific. I have heard good things about Dr. Featherstone and Dr. Slikkers also. I have been at a stand still, but I go for a fill Jan. 18th. The holidays have been hard food wise for me..... But this is a New Year and I am so gonna get to my goal!!! Keep us informed, by the way I see you are from Kalkaska, I'm from Mancelona, not too far away if you need support let me know!