Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Hi, I'm from Michigan too!

I'm in the beginning stages of this process. I would love to have a support group from Michigan. I went to the Barix and would like to know if anyone has any info on the LapBand surgeries?

Thank You

I am new here as well. I am scheduled to be banded on July 31, 2006. Only 5 more days :clap2: I am going thru Dr. Deol and it has been fantastic. I started out at 509.5 lbs :faint: . The worst day of my life January 31, 2006. Beaumont will not allow surgery if you are over 500lbs, so I was sent to the Unisource comprehensive weight loss center with Dr. Doyle. It was a tremendous experience. I have lost 85 lbs as of today (had my pre op with Dr. Deol today), and I feel fantastic. I just wanted to give you some background as I am now going thru it as well. Always need support!! Hope yours goes well!!

Welcome to the group Straws and Coach. I'm having surgery in Port Huron on Aug 3rd. I can hardly wait. One week from today!

I'm in Lansing and I'm 31, married with no kids yet. Coach, I loved Dr. Deol. I chose her first but ended up not being able to afford it at the moment. Congrats on 85 pounds of weight loss. That's amazing! What kind of things did they put ya through at Unisource? I hope you keep coming back and keeping us up to date on how you're doing.

Wow Coach, you've done well. Are you following a certain diet? Josette, how far is that for you to drive and will you do the follow up with them? I would be willing to drive aways for a support group. I'm about 20 miles from Ann Arbor.

Wow Coach, you've done well. Are you following a certain diet? Josette, how far is that for you to drive and will you do the follow up with them? I would be willing to drive aways for a support group. I'm about 20 miles from Ann Arbor.

Hey straws so I am I! :) Just a bit over with the traffic now though.

Well they put me on what they call the garden light diet. It consists of 5 "shakes" a day (high protien low fat and actually i found out how to make some of them taste like ice cream, shakes etc so it wasn't bad at all) and up to 200 calories of non starchy vegetables. Its amazing how hard it is to eat 200 calories of non starchy vegies in a day!! The vegies help for the chewing you miss. After going to the Dr. Deol yesterday I realized i am no longer super/super morbidly obese, now I am only super morbidly obese lol. Baby steps i guess. I work out usually 6-7 times a week doing resistence training and walking or swimming ( I have 2 bad knees all the docs said stay away from high impact) I cannot begin to describe to everyone how many times I wanted to skip the shakes and go to a fast food restaraunt. It is worth it now tho!! I have a total of 250lbs to lose and now with 85 gone before surgery its that much more motivation for rest. I will be on here more than ever after Monday lol not much else to do!! Good luck to everyone!!

Coach Buckley,

How long did that take you to lose? And what kind of shakes do you use? I've just got all kind of ?'s.

BOO BOO Kitty,

I will be thinking of you this next week. Be sure to let us know how things go for you. My husband thinks I'm nuts but I want to see a LapBander eat. Hmmm!

I went to Dr. Farhan at Hurley in Flint for my banding on 7/18. I LOVE that place. Everyone is so friendly and informative. I'm doing great, get my staples out on TUesday - can't wait. Still on liquids, but should start soft foods in a few days. So far, so good.

'

I went to Dr. Farhan at Hurley in Flint for my banding on 7/18. I LOVE that place. Everyone is so friendly and informative. I'm doing great, get my staples out on TUesday - can't wait. Still on liquids, but should start soft foods in a few days. So far, so good.

'

That is my surgeon! I am so glad it went well for you! I get banded Tuesday....nerves are kicking up now! :rofl:

Is there a reason you guys picked Dr. Farhan? I wasn't really sure of what surgery I wanted. I really don't want the RNY because of the dumping and weight gain. Can you feel any restriction yet?

WHile sitting in the waiting room for my initial visit, there were 3 women waiting for follow up appts. They all had Dr. Farhan and thought he was a god. They had nothing but good things to say about him. THey had all had the RNY surgery, not lapband. I didn't want the RNY because it is so much more invasive and cannot be reversed. Also, with the lapband your weight loss can be revised with a fill - not so with RNY.

Is there a reason you guys picked Dr. Farhan? I wasn't really sure of what surgery I wanted. I really don't want the RNY because of the dumping and weight gain. Can you feel any restriction yet?

I haven't had the surgery yet. But I can tell you I researched Hurley. I talked to past paitents, hospital staff. ect. I was very picky about where I wanted to get it done. I had investigated U of M, they had too many obstacles. I also looked into Cori Center, Borgess and a few more. I liked Hurley the best and I am very happy I did. No one there makes you feel like you have done anything wrong.

I choose the band because I don't want the dumping or the damage the other causes. Hairloss, dumping, Vitamin defeciencies really aren't my thing!

:)

I agree with you on the dumping and damage. I've seen too many failures with the RNY. Will you do the fills at Hurley also?

Do they also have a support group that you go to? If you ever need a passenger let me know. We could meet somewhere along 94.

I should let you know something about me. I'm Female, 50, married , and have a 30 year old daughter that lives in Chicago. I'm around 40 BMI and I need to lose this weight because I have bad knees.