Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to the NP yesterday for a follow-up, and I gained 6 lbs! I was devasted. She was so annoyed. She was saying how I needed to reach 260lbs by surgery, blah blah. So I mentioned how the surgeon told me not to loose anything, granted he didn't say gain, but he told me not too. She quickly cut me off and said that I had to loose 6 pounds by 1/24. I feel confident that this will happen, but I am so aggrevated that my surgeon tells me one thing, and the NP tells me another. The surgeon told me that I don't need to get an apena machine before surgery, she says I do. It is very confusing. Also...has anyone else noticed when you get weighed in the afternoon you weigh more? All my appointments are in the afternoon, and I am so nervous that I will loose the 6 lbs but then when I get weighed, I am 3 pounds more. I am just frustrated.

I did great today. I stuck to the Post-Op lapband diet I was given, and worked out, so I guess I just need to work it until 1/24. Just so annoying!

Hi Amanda,

Im sorry your getting mixed reviews between the surgeon and the NP. As for the "gain" it could mostly just be becuase it was in the afternoon and you had eaten and drank. I read that our bodies fluctuate 5 lbs during the day. As bad as it sounds when i know i need to get weighed at the doctors i tend to eat nothing until my appt becuase otherwise im always dissapointed (this is something i shouldnt do and not saying you should...).

I noticed that your getting yours done at Lahey in Burlington and im in the very beginning stages of deciding if i want the procedure. I was actually looking at Lahey to have my procedure done there and i was wondering if you had any advice or how your enjoying your experience so far?? I was also wondering if they are requiring you to say overnight or do they do it as a day surgery?

Jenn :)

Afternoon I always weigh more. I hate that they are doing this to you. telling you one thing and doing another. and this person shouldn't be RUDE to you, your paying them. Not the other way around. Why is it so important to loose 6lbs by then anyways. TOM and everything can reflect on how the scales read. I imagine you are agrrivated. But just remember this is YOUR DREAM and you CAN and WILL do this. Just don't let them get to you. You can do this! Give it your all and you'll be banded and that will be behind you in no time. Keep pushing forward and don't let them get to you! You don't need that stress! Hang in there kiddo ;)

As a nurse, I couldn't help but read your post with a dropping jaw. Is the NP affiliated with the surgeon who will be performing your surgery or is this someone else? I really believe there is a fine line between honest medical tact and being emotionally over-invested to the point that you come off in the manner you describe.

This is obviously a very personal struggle and putting finite deadlines and parameters in place in front of you will only lead to additional stress (which in turn could lead to added pounds). Here's the truth of the matter: do you need to lose weight pre-op? Sure, but there is not a magic number one needs to achieve before surgery can proceed. There are people well over 400 pounds that have surgeries.

Take it in stride, but if the NP catches an attitude on your next visit, take a moment to breathe and then let her know that it's a journey and not a destination. It's about the effort. And frankly, instead of lecturing patients, she could take a moment to reflect back on the true nature of the nursing field: caring and therapeutic communication.

All the best,

Jason "The Night Shift Nurse"

Well said NightShift Nurse! I too am a nurse and often feel that Physicians need to take a CE on listening, empathy and therapeutic communication. With that being said, I know I am fragile right now. I'm currently doing the required 6 month SWL (on month 4) and at my last appt I had gained 4 lbs. My physician just kept bringing it up over and over again. I go later in the week for my next scheduled appt and I can feel the pressure beginning to build. I don't think I have lost any weight this month. I have eaten more salad and veggies this last month than ever before. The nurse with the Bariatric Center called this past week and I told her of my building anxiety over not being able to lose weight...her advice was to not be so hard on myself that this 6 month SWL was more about to see if I could follow orders and directions. I'm trying to keep it together...I don't want to "fail" my psych eval that will eventually come! LOL! Good luck to everyone!

I had surgery at Lahey and have spoken to Amanda about my experience. They do have several NP and the one I like the most is pretty No nonsense. It is hard when she lays done the law. She is however really caring and very supportive. I think she takes the hard line sometimes because she thinks if I give you an inch you will take a mile. You do weigh more in the afternoon. Personally next time you have an afternoon appointment I would do Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch so you will have a greater chance of voiding them before you appointment.

Amanda, I have sleep apnea, and have used a CPAP machine every night for the last 7 years. Regardless of what the surgeon says, and what the NP says about your need for a CPAP machine, what conclusions did the results of your sleep study suggest? If the sleep study physician says you need a CPAP, get it. Sleep apnea is a condition you should address regardles of your WLS.

Hi Amanda,

Im sorry your getting mixed reviews between the surgeon and the NP. As for the "gain" it could mostly just be becuase it was in the afternoon and you had eaten and drank. I read that our bodies fluctuate 5 lbs during the day. As bad as it sounds when i know i need to get weighed at the doctors i tend to eat nothing until my appt becuase otherwise im always dissapointed (this is something i shouldnt do and not saying you should...).

I noticed that your getting yours done at Lahey in Burlington and im in the very beginning stages of deciding if i want the procedure. I was actually looking at Lahey to have my procedure done there and i was wondering if you had any advice or how your enjoying your experience so far?? I was also wondering if they are requiring you to say overnight or do they do it as a day surgery?

Jenn smile.png

I love it so far. They require 1 night stay.

I had surgery at Lahey and have spoken to Amanda about my experience. They do have several NP and the one I like the most is pretty No nonsense. It is hard when she lays done the law. She is however really caring and very supportive. I think she takes the hard line sometimes because she thinks if I give you an inch you will take a mile. You do weigh more in the afternoon. Personally next time you have an afternoon appointment I would do Protein shakes for breakfast and lunch so you will have a greater chance of voiding them before you appointment.

That is what I was thinking. Doing Protein Shakes the day of my appointment!

I was also worried about this same problem, but was banded on Jan 9th. I ended up losing 5 pounds day of surgery due to day before not allowed to eat anything. I think the advice the NP is giving is what they really would prefer, however I went into hospital morning of and yeah they weighted me but it was not a part of any decision to move forward with surgery or not. I was very stressed about not meeting the goal and also asked for advice on the topic. Bottom line, focus on doing your best and being positive about the choice you have made and how great the outcome will be. I myself can completely stress myself into a mess which causes more strain. Just breathe and if they get snippy with you...you can always snip back and explain your doing the best you can. Lots of warm wises your way!

sorry meant wishes!

I wonder if you gained because of the working out? And the stress of a weigh in might be causing you to hold Water in? Stress definitely does that to me. But its your journey and your efforts and if she is mean again she might need a reminder that you are a person not just her job.

One thing I remember reading is that if you drink three whole glasses of water as sooon as you wake up it will totally and immediately flush your whole system out, if you know what I mean, and that might give you a good jump start! Good luck!

My surgery Dr told me that a lot of people don't understand LB not even ones in the medical field. They can be very judgmental. I would go by what the Dr performing surgery says.

I know a big reason for the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver. My dr told me yesterday that he'd like to see me lose 10 lbs this next week on the pre-op diet, but even 5-7 lbs makes a big difference in how easy his job is during surgery.

So....after 7 days of sticking to the post-op diet that I was given by my nutrionist (the whole plate thing), I lost 10lbs!!! I am so pumped! My NP said 6lbs by 1/24, and I did her 4lbs more! I still have 3 days until weigh in but I am so excited so far. That day I will just have Protein shakes and Water until my weigh-in! I have to say, this past week has been very eye-opening. I realized that I can totally do this. All the doubts I had are gone. I went out to dinner twice, stuck to the plan, exercised everyday, no Snacks, no caffeine, just Water. I have to say I am so ready for this! WOOO!!

Thanks for all your support!