Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have You Had A Unfill Just For Vacation Reasons Or A Break?

I've been banded since 2009 and have scheduled my first unfill because I'm going on a cruise and just want a band break. I've lost 100lbs, I feel like I deserve it! Have you done this ? How was it? Did you eat like crazy?

The only reason I would say no is because once you get an unfill you might not be able to get back to where you are now. When they unfill you the band usually wont go back to the green zone.

I would make sure that you get fill a week before just incase you need adjustment you don't want to get stuck out at sea.

Sorry I miss read this . Getting unfilled for a cruise could be a big set back for you but the choice is yours that's what makes the such a good tool.

My wife and I cruise a few times a year. There is food everywhere!

Speaking for myself, I like to be sure I am in a good place to avoid all the temptations. In other words I like to see my Dr before the cruise to get a fill if needed.

One suggestion: avoid the buffet(s) have Breakfast and lunch in the Main Dining Room where you need to order off the menu. Portions are more manageable and you are not tempted to fill your plate with everything you see.

I would say that is a very bad move. I know people who have done exactly what you are intending to do and they have gained weight and been unable to lose it again. If your band is not too tight and you are currently able to eat a wide range of healthy foods why mess with that?

If you had a pacemaker you wouldn't have that removed because you needed a break. If you had an artificial limb you wouldn't leave that at home because you needed a break.If you were an insulin dependant diabetic you wouldn't stop taking your insulin so why should this be any different. You have a medical condition(obesity) which has been cured or controlled by your band. You can't just switch it on or off when you feel like it as doing that causes a recurrence of the condition.

You do deserve it. You have obviously done well and reached your goal weight. There's no reason why you shouldn't take a break and have some fun. It's also a good idea to try to maintain without it. If you start gaining you can always go get a fill after your trip. I got unfilled mid December. My son was home from college for the holidays and I just wanted to enjoy my time with him. I've gained 4 or 5 pounds but as long as I don't see the scale go up too much more I plan on waiting until February or March before I get refilled. Enjoy your trip!

Congrats on your loss! I would not do it. I've been on 4 cruises since being banded. One was before my first fill, so doesn't really count.

My concerns would be that I'd not want to get filled again because I'd just love eating "normally" so much, or that when I returned I'd not be able to get restriction back like I have it now. There have been folks here who've been unfilled for various reasons that just could not get the same restriction back. I also don't want to get into a yoyo idea with my band. For what do I unfill? A cruise? A trip? A long weekend? A wedding? Just because?

But, it would be nice to not have to worry about getting stuck while on a cruise. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

I used to do that too. Get unfilled due to vacations..Each time got harder and harder to get refilled. Eventually I thought why the hell am I doing this...I could manage on my own for a bit.

Look at my signature to see how smart that was.sad.png

I will never do it again unless I have a medical issue. Choice is yours though. Good luck

Thank you all for the great feedback. I will talk to my doctor when I get there. I'm already thinking I don't want a complete unfill but maybe just a little less then what I have now. I will let you all know how it goes!

I was banded on 12-29-11 & have our 30rd anniversary in May. We're going on a 8 day cruise in April & I was wondering the same thing. I dont want to go crazy after 4 months but I do want to enjoy myself. I guess I'll ask my dr the same question as time gets closer.

I sure wouldnt. I had to unfill my band for a surgery and it has never been the same since. Thats a big risk just to eat a little more than usual. And theres nothing i hate more than coming home from a holiday boated and fat. These days i make it a point to take my running shoes, use the extra time to get more exercise and enjoy lots of light meals - salads and barbecues and such. That way you go home tanned, relaxed and feeling better than you did when you left.

My Dr. will NOT un-fill for any other reason that medical necessity.

That sounds sensible.

I personally can't imagine getting unfilled for a break. The whole idea of rewarding myself with food for losing weight kinda goes against the mindset I built to lose weight in the first place. I would rather buy some awesome clothes or a few bikinis to Celebrate my loss than reward myself with food. It seems counter-productive, but that's my opinion.

I have gone on holidays, seen through festive seasons, gone to weddings and I did it all with a well restricted band. Because this is my life now. The band helped me to lose weight, it helps me keep it off, and it's there for good, and the 'old' way I did things were what made me overweight, so that way is no longer a part of my life. I love the taste of good food, and I still get to have some, just not the amounts I used to eat prior to the band. That's not a bad thing.

Ultimately though, it's your choice so I don't think anyone's opinions here are going to matter to you if that's what you want to do. Just wanted to say it's completely opposite to the way I think - the band is not negotiable for me. It's not a fashion accessory I can take on and off. It's there for good and I live all of life's events with it.