Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! I've been lurking for a couple of days and finally decided to post. My surgery was 02/22 so I am 4 days post-op. I've been doing great physically, other than some gas on the first day and soreness around my port. I hate hospitals so I was quick to get out of there right after surgery and have taken time off to recover at my grandmother's house. This morning (about 2 hours ago) I had my first Protein Shake and I am super full. I think I have never been so excited about a Protein shake.

My head is all over the place. No regrets whatsoever. Just a lot of time to analyze my relationship with food and how it must change. I feel like I've gone through this before, 6 months ago when, after 16 years, I quit smoking. I've had to re-define myself in every old/new situation I am in. And while I was going through the toughest part of that process I would think: this is the first friday night of my adult life without a cigarette.

Today I have to do the same: This is the first saturday of my whole life without eating unhealthy fatty comfort foods.

My family and friends have been very supportive and I am very thankful for that. Everyone had the same first reaction, which from what I've read here is pretty common: "you're not big enough". But they all understood when I told them that I didn't want to wait until I was. I'd always been "chubby" and then graduated to overweight after college, obese was next. 4 days ago I stood on the scale before my surgery and weighed in at 202 lbs (height: 5'5). I am 28 yrs. old, and am ready to make the changes necessary now to lead a long healthy life. I already didn't give a damn for much too long, booze, drugs, whatever. I knew the band was right for me just by turning around and looking at my family, their obesity and comorbid diseases convinced me. People think this is the "easy way" to do it, I disagree...this takes a whole lot of conviction.

I've always hated that my character is judged so severely because of my weight, that people are allowed to label me as lazy, lacking in will power, etc. because of a combination between genetic disposition and a complex addiction to food. So today my main issue is what to say when after I've succeeded (I know I will) I'm asked how I did it. This might seem a little..."ugh" but I'm actually in a position where my honesty can reach thousands, where if I reply with the truth and say "I was banded and I followed through" and not pretend I just did another diet and more exercise, some of the taboo of WLS for at least some people, might be lifted. I'm not famous, just considerably well known within my business and have been honest about every other aspect of myself, including my sexual orientation. Why would I be so ashamed about this that I would lie? Why would I be ashamed about actually doing something positive about my health?

Anyway, sorry about the long rant. Congratulations to everyone banded this month! I hope we all keep sharing our progress, doubts, motivations, etc. here and supporting each other. We should all be very proud of ourselves and take this bold move not only as an opportunity to be thin, look better, or be healthier physically but also as a chance of a lifetime to redefine ourselves.

Stay strong!

I think my doctor is much stricter than others. I was banded on 2/17. I had 3 days of Clear Liquids and now I have 2 FULL WEEKS of 3 Protein Shakes a day! Nothing else(other than water) and no exceptions!!!!! I have been having a VERY hard time with this.......I don't feel like cake, Cookies, etc, but at this point, I would give anything to just have a teaspoon of cottage cheese!!!

Don't many Drs. allow these foods after 1 week?????

For me personally I can blend any Soup, ect and as long as it goes through a strainer I can have it and I had surgery yesterday. I am trying to stick with Jello, Water and ice just because it seems to sit easier. in the second week I get soft mushy foods. I would ask your dr his specific reason for this diet he has you on after the fact. It seems like everyone is different and dr's have their reasons for the diet they put you on. Good Luck!! Just remember what your goal is and how much further ahead you will be than the rest of us...lol laugh.png Its not easy but it will all be worth it in the end.

Oh and dont be afraid to ask your dr questions....that is what he is there for.

...what wonderful new... its done !! lol... and i dont blame you for wanting to shout it from the roof tops.. i would too... hahahaha.... i hope that you recover really quickly. judych

Thank you for correcting my spelling..lol. I was still a little druged yesterday when I wrote that... I am in a little pain today, but nothing compaired to my other surgery. I am happy with the out come and cant wiat for my first fill in 6 weeks!

Ok SOS I need to know if this feeling i keep getting in my chest right between my breast is heartburn or indigestion or is it my band, is it something abnormal???

Not liking the feeling it's been like 2 days now comes and goes but does stops me in my tracks when it happens.

I've only been taking Gas-X haven't needed pain meds but I started taking it today cause of the pain.

Any advice or info would help.

Bea....I too am feeling pain today I had not felt ....I am having lots of gas today...and a almost burning sensation in the side of right breast....a sore throat....and running a low grade fevor....I havent taken pain mends till this afternoon I did just take 3 ibriprofins.....Hope its just things getting back to normal....

Ok SOS I need to know if this feeling i keep getting in my chest right between my breast is heartburn or indigestion or is it my band, is it something abnormal??? Not liking the feeling it's been like 2 days now comes and goes but does stops me in my tracks when it happens. I've only been taking Gas-X haven't needed pain meds but I started taking it today cause of the pain. Any advice or info would help.

Hi Bea...

Although I am not banded yet (2/29/12 for me) my doctor told me about shoulder/chest pain from the gas. Not to be alarmed but expect it. Gas X I am told helps but until those pockets of gas move around and get out, the pain can be intense at times. If you are that nervous, I would call your doctor but I bet its gas. Everyone seems to be able to handle the post op pain but the gas is the most bothersome. Good Luck!!

Tammy

Hi there and welcome!!!

I was just banded yesterday - we seem to be similar height/BMI etc... and fairly close in age. Congrats on starting the journey to the new you! I'm having trouble today telling the difference between gas pains and hunger pains.... I'm sipping Water, tea, and had a SF popsicle today. Tried some chicken broth but could not stomach it at all. Made me gag after just 2 small sips.... I actually am already looking forward to Protein shakes, but can't have my first one til day 7 - bummer!!!

Keep in touch, and good luck with your weight loss!

Hi! I've been lurking for a couple of days and finally decided to post. My surgery was 02/22 so I am 4 days post-op. I've been doing great physically, other than some gas on the first day and soreness around my port. I hate hospitals so I was quick to get out of there right after surgery and have taken time off to recover at my grandmother's house. This morning (about 2 hours ago) I had my first Protein shake and I am super full. I think I have never been so excited about a Protein Shake.< /p>

My head is all over the place. No regrets whatsoever. Just a lot of time to analyze my relationship with food and how it must change. I feel like I've gone through this before, 6 months ago when, after 16 years, I quit smoking. I've had to re-define myself in every old/new situation I am in. And while I was going through the toughest part of that process I would think: this is the first friday night of my adult life without a cigarette.

Today I have to do the same: This is the first saturday of my whole life without eating unhealthy fatty comfort foods.

My family and friends have been very supportive and I am very thankful for that. Everyone had the same first reaction, which from what I've read here is pretty common: "you're not big enough". But they all understood when I told them that I didn't want to wait until I was. I'd always been "chubby" and then graduated to overweight after college, obese was next. 4 days ago I stood on the scale before my surgery and weighed in at 202 lbs (height: 5'5). I am 28 yrs. old, and am ready to make the changes necessary now to lead a long healthy life. I already didn't give a damn for much too long, booze, drugs, whatever. I knew the band was right for me just by turning around and looking at my family, their obesity and comorbid diseases convinced me. People think this is the "easy way" to do it, I disagree...this takes a whole lot of conviction.

I've always hated that my character is judged so severely because of my weight, that people are allowed to label me as lazy, lacking in will power, etc. because of a combination between genetic disposition and a complex addiction to food. So today my main issue is what to say when after I've succeeded (I know I will) I'm asked how I did it. This might seem a little..."ugh" but I'm actually in a position where my honesty can reach thousands, where if I reply with the truth and say "I was banded and I followed through" and not pretend I just did another diet and more exercise, some of the taboo of WLS for at least some people, might be lifted. I'm not famous, just considerably well known within my business and have been honest about every other aspect of myself, including my sexual orientation. Why would I be so ashamed about this that I would lie? Why would I be ashamed about actually doing something positive about my health?

Anyway, sorry about the long rant. Congratulations to everyone banded this month! I hope we all keep sharing our progress, doubts, motivations, etc. here and supporting each other. We should all be very proud of ourselves and take this bold move not only as an opportunity to be thin, look better, or be healthier physically but also as a chance of a lifetime to redefine ourselves.

Stay strong!

Was banded yesterday. Wow I'm pretty sore. Walking helps but just can't get comfortable.

Trying out my ticker

I had an interesting experience yesterday I thought I would share. I had my surgery tues so I was 4 days yesterday. I had to go in for a follow up. I had my surgery in phoenix and I live northern AZ. I drove down to Phoenix and back and noticed yesterday afternoon and evening I was very tight. I don't know if it was the altitude change but that is the only thing I could figure it could be. Does anyone know anything about altitude change and tightness?

...somewhere i read it mentioned about tightness when flying so you could be right. does anyone else know about it??

Hi there and welcome!!!

I was just banded yesterday - we seem to be similar height/BMI etc... and fairly close in age. Congrats on starting the journey to the new you! I'm having trouble today telling the difference between gas pains and hunger pains.... I'm sipping Water, tea, and had a SF popsicle today. Tried some chicken broth but could not stomach it at all. Made me gag after just 2 small sips.... I actually am already looking forward to Protein shakes, but can't have my first one til day 7 - bummer!!!

Keep in touch, and good luck with your weight loss!

hi Nyklor... i just read your post and i agree completely with your point of view. im not morbidly obese either but im gaining weight all the time. im 65, going on 66, and should i not take this step, simply because Im not ''morbidly obese".?.. i have big problems with my feet, my knees and my hips. Arthritic. I see my age as the window of opportunity closing for me. if i dont have the surgery done now, im going to be too far advanced with arthritis in my lower body to really be able to have any sort of mobility no matter what my weight is. i weight the same weight as you. i think my BMI is about 30 - 31..

Ive fought big battles over the years with my health and had lots of bone surgery and suffered the pain that goes with it all. im not going into this surgery lightly either. we do have to count the cost... its a biggie and its life changing. this is where the group here is just so wonderful because the reality of it all is talked about everyday. i do appreciate that.

i havent been operated on yet.. but this getting to know everyone here and learning all the time is helping me so much to deal with the enormity of what im about to undergo. Because im not morbidly obese i dont think my children would understand at this point. ive only had comments on how i should"walk more.. and other exercise" ... when no one here understands what its like to be overweight and not confident on ones feet. so, im not sharing it with my family. Only my husband, who, of course, has to know whats going on. We were talking about that this morning and he was asking me what does he say to my daughters and son?? We have a plan for all that. i hate to be doing this but i know beforehand what the reaction would be. Never mind that my GP is in full agreement with me as i have a chronic probem... my family wouldnt take that into account at all.

So.. thanks for sharing with us.. i understand completely where you are coming from. i wish you all the best for the future. im sure that your weight loss will be really a blessing for you. you are young and have your full life ahead of you. Go for it. judych

Yay I got my ticker thing going!

Surgery date: 2/29/2012!

I just had my surgery on 22 February! I am definitely looking for some supportive people that are going through the same thing. Please feel free to add me! Good luck to everyone!

Yay I got my ticker thing going!

Surgery date: 2/29/2012!

Good luck to you!!! My date is Monday(2/27/2012)!

Good luck to you!!! My date is Monday(2/27/2012)!

Good luck to you too!! I am excited, nervous and ready to go!!