Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

48 Hours Post Lap Band Surgery And Feeling Like An Emotional Rollercoaster

Hey all,

I had my surgery on Wednesday. I stayed overnight and was discharged yesterday around noon. I'm tolerating the pain. Lots of pressure I'm assuming from the gas, and my incisions sting like the dickens! My mom and dad were with me up until this morning. (They live out of state.) I woke up this morning and just want to cry. :( I don't really know why either. I know it's normal to have a little depression afterwards. I also felt extremely weak when I woke up. Thank God I don't really have any nausea. I'm tolerating liquids pretty well. I made me a huge glass of crystal light and had a Protein shot. I'm trying to walk as much as possible, just hard because my incisions sting so bad when I move around.

Just wanted to update that I made it through surgery OK, and now onto the next phase of this journey!

glad to hear your doing ok! sorry that you are in so much pain, didnt the doctor give you pain killers?

yes he did, and I'm taking them. Just struggling with the gas pain and incisions are stinging. Hoping it get's better each day.

Sorry to hear about the pains. Each day should get better and better. Just take your pain meds and the dissolveable gasex strips for the gas pain and rest as much as you can to speed the healing. It does take a few weeks until you are back to normal.

I was banded yesterday 12/22. I came home the same day. I haven't had any emotional episodes, but the gas pain is crazy. Walking does help. I'm allergic to just about everything so I was given tramadol and I purchased some childrens chewable tylenol. My incisions do not hurt, but I do have one that has a little Fluid coming from it. just moist to the touch. I have been drinking Water and hot Decaf tea without any problems with a little sugar free popsicles. the pain meds keep me drowsy but i get up and move around. It's just me and my son and he's been a big help. I did read that some people experience depression. Being in pain causes depression too. I came home with an ice pack and that has helped a whole lot. I hope you feel better. It's okay to cry.

I was banded Dec 22 and just starting to feel better I had nausea and some dry heves just gas come out and I felt better after. This happened 3 times and hurt like heck at the time pulling on incisions. I've been sleeping a lot and have pressure too. I've been drinking sips of Water and Protein water. Last hour or so starting to feel lots better. Hang in there we will survive this.

Hang in there guys, i was banded on the 16th and i'm really just starting to fill good....

Same here. I was banded on the 16th and yesterday was fairly good but today is the first day I've felt halfway back to normal. It's gets better and better each day, promise.

If you are coughing, sneezing, laughing or dry heaving,gently press a pillow or a soft stuffed animal to your tummy. It will help keep you from stressing your incisions and bouncing around your tender abdominal muscles.

I hope of all you feel better and heal quickly.

Hey guys... I too was banded on Dec. 22nd (yesterday)... The amount of pressure and gas I feel right under my chest & right collar bone was unbearable... It comes and goes but my tummy in general feels weird as expected... I'm really hoping it gets better with each day. Now I'm eating Soup broth & Water... Haven't gotten any Protein yet... Just hang in there guys... We made it this far, we can make it thru the rest...

By the way, I'm apart of a secret Facebook group for other people who have the lap band all over the US... If u wanna join, just drop me a line :)

I was banded on the 20th. I have really been laying around and allowing myself tto heal.. I somewhat feel like I wanna cry but I think that is tears of joy becaause it is time to start a journey to a better me. I am ready to show the world what I can do.. I like the Isopure drinks for protein.. tastes really good. and I am drinking chicken broth. it does stink that I can not have any christmas food but hey that is another 15 pounds that I will never have to try to loose..

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. I think everyday will be a little easier. I think one of the main reasons for my depression is that my Mom was with me! ha I know that sounds terrible. I love her with all my heart but she's a borderline anorexic so that should explain what life has been like with her. My hubby couldn't be with me because he's a cop and couldn't get off work. Her and my stepdad were with me. They came from out of state to go with me. I was glad they were here at first, but was also glad when they left. My dad hasn't been to our house and commented on how messy it was and that he could'nt believe I'd let it get this way. It just stirred a lot of emotions that I really don't need right now.

I'm so glad I've found this site. It's really nice to know there are others out there that are going through similar things. This is not something that started yesterday, and I know it won't be fixed by tomorrow.

@ Better With Time, please give me the Facebook info. I'm on Facebook, and would love to join the group!

It does get better I thought it wouldn't and really questioned why I did it. But in the long run it will be worth it. Good luck to you

It was good to read all of the struggles everyone else is having, I had the surgery on the 20th and the next day was hard, the second day afte got alittle easier, today is ok im walking around with little pain, im having a problem when I try to eat my belly starts to hurt and I would love for that to go away lol, I was also sad and second guessing my decision on the surgery, but I think its all because we are in that really hard few weeks right now. I hope you feel better soon, you have taken the biggest step now its just healing and learning =)