Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Less Than 48 Hours Until Lap Band Surgery And Feeling Nervous

The big day is Wednesday. I just can't believe it's this close. I don't really even think I've thought about it thoroughly up until the past day. I just can't believe I've got to this point to actually need weight loss surgery. :( I know that probably sounds odd. I was in the military for 7 years and was in excellent shape. I was heavy when I was a kid and struggled with it. I gained over 100 lbs during my pregnancy, and just continued to go up from there.

I feel like I'm getting ready to go into rehab. I know that I have an addiction to food. I don't necessarily eat when I'm stressed or sad, mad etc., I just love food and find happiness in it. I'm trying to get back my old mindset though, when I was so healthy. I know I can get there and I know this surgery is going to help me achieve that goal.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm just feeling all kinds of emotions about this.

Good luck to you on Wednesday. I'm having my band and plication on Wed too in NY. I'm feeling very similar to you. But we are here now and we are doing this!!!! Together! :-)

Hey, Oliversmomma, you can do this. :-) And if you're having second thoughts is there any harm in postponing for a while? I know with my insurance once I do the 6 month waiting period, I have up to 2 years to have my surgery and can take all the time I want.

You'll be fine either way...but I would really make sure you're mentally prepared for every aspect. What does your gut tell you? Is it just fear...or real doubt?

I hear you, I get all nervous before every appt I have, white coat syndrome I guess, LOL. You will be FINE! Think of it as your Christmas gift to yourself!

It is natural to be nervous. I was banded on 10/27/11. I can honestly say that I don't have a single regret. I lost fairly quickly once I began the preop diet, stalled a bit when I started back on solid food, and now I am losing at a healthy 1 to 2 lbs a week.

@MommaMary- Thanks so much! We are definitely in it together! I'm so glad I've found this site! I really just think it's nerves. I'm just ready to get the surgery part of it over.

@ TexasDiane- It's just nerves. I know I'm prepared. Just nervous and I think really ready to get through the surgery.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!

you can do this!!! You are going to be fine!!! We will see you on the other side!!!

Honestly, the surgery is the easiest part. Once you get to the hospital, just decide to surrender yourself to the doctors and nurses. From there, it is a piece of cake. The next thing you know, you're in recovery. After the surgery, take the pain meds, walk, relax and heal. FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR'S INSTRUCTIONS! Before you know it, you'll be on the other side and wondering what took you so long to do it.

See you on the other side!

i felt the same way. I was nervous as all hell and i kept thinking am I doing the right thing. I was banded on dec 15, and this is my 4th day postop and I'm so glad I didnt let all my insecurities get the best of me..Go for and u will be fine..There is a secret Facebook group for Dec bandsters, the info is on this site, go under dec 2011 groups to get all the details and its total private and feeds wint show on your page, this secret group is awesome and we have about 90 members on there now

Hi all i also have my surg tomorrow12/21 with dr ahmad gettingiband band plication nervous is an understatement.,but im determined to go thru with this,i wish everyone luck and see yall on the other side.

I was banded July 27th, 2011 and I couldn't sleep the night before my surgery cause I was so nervous. Lapband surgery has changed my life. I can actually play with my kids and they get wore out before me :) I also have the band with the implication, and I have had no problems. You will do AMAZING and congrats on starting your "NEW" life!!!! I will be praying for you tomorrow!!! Good luck!!!!!

I was banded Monday morning and it all went very smoothly and Iam betting yours will to and yes you will have some pain and discomfort but that only lasts for a couple of days and you will be your old self again in no time.So I say there is no reason at all to be nervous you only need to feel a sense of taking your life back and doing something wonderful for yourself I was very calm about it myself the only sense I had was one of urgency to get my house all cleaned up and perfect before I left so I could just concentrate on relaxing and recovering when I got home I already feel as if it was totally worth it and you have a wonderful family of support here with people who know exactly what your going through and can help with just about any question you may have.

I can definitly relate. My surgery is on the 22nd and I am a ball of nerves. I'm mostly nervous about possible complications. I need to think positive thoughts!

to slimwishes,throw them balls away,we are all gonna be ok with no complications,good luck

I hear all of you ! I been through the Nerve Hell ! I almost left, and said screw it ! Once they got the IV in, I calmed down. When they got me out into the Hallway, and a Nurse asked me "ARE YOU READY FOR A NEW LIFE !" I never even thought of the answer, my mouth just popped off YES ! ! ! ! After that I was totally fine.

Try not to worry ! Your doing it for nothing really ! they take excellent care of you, and they have all of this down to a science..

I have had DENTAL SURGERY that hurt far more then getting the Band.

Everyone is different, so, make sure your pain meds are liquid (IT HELPS), lots of pillows,and a heating Pad. Gas Strips or Mylanta Liquid for Gas.It does help, but walking makes it move threw the body so that it can come out, and it will.

So try to enjoy yourself, get your stuff together, all plans made, anything you need to do.

Finally sit down and write a letter with all your feelings on it, and all your thoughts and frustrations. Seal the envelope that you put it in, and address it to you. Then in a couple of weeks when your feeling better, open it, and read it. Then comment on it, and add your 2 cents to the letter. Then keep it, and check it out on your 1 year Bandiversary.